• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Split .avi files

Razal

Question

Hi,

I have a 12gb .avi file that I would like to split into smaller .avi's so that I could fit the footage onto DVD's.

Is there a way to do this with the Roxio software such that I can do the split to the .avi's and then out put back to DVD still keeping the .avi format? If not with Roxio, is there something out there that has this capability that someone could recommend?

Thanks

5 answers to this question

Yes. The format is DV AVI which is probably what you captured.

One note of caution.... I did what you're going to do, but after a few months one of the DVDs became unreadable. Luckily, I hadn't overwritten the tape so the footage was still recoverable. That's why I back up to a second hard drive (external or internal) also.

Im no expert, but i just made a DVD from a 12Gb avi file and Roxio compressed it to under 4.7Gb.I keep an iso file and then put the avi on an external back-up to free space

Hi,

I have a 12gb .avi file that I would like to split into smaller .avi's so that I could fit the footage onto DVD's.

Is there a way to do this with the Roxio software such that I can do the split to the .avi's and then out put back to DVD still keeping the .avi format? If not with Roxio, is there something out there that has this capability that someone could recommend?

Thanks

Sure you can with Videowave. Just move the slider to where you want to split and right click it and choose split. You can save each section such as 'moviename' 1, 'moviename' 2 etc.

There's also a free utility that will split the file in any size you want but you won't actually see where it's splitting. It's called Gsplit Nothing fancy here, just simply splitting by file sizes. One that's a little more intuitive is Ultra Video Splitter.

My opinion is that with some very large files, VW is too slow but it can and will get the job done.

Thanks for the info!

One more question; When I output production to DV Camcorder is the format .avi?

The idea offered about limiting capture time was a great idea and one I will use next time I need to do something like this.

Guest mlpasley
One more question; When I output production to DV Camcorder is the format .avi?

Yes. The format is DV AVI which is probably what you captured.

One note of caution.... I did what you're going to do, but after a few months one of the DVDs became unreadable. Luckily, I hadn't overwritten the tape so the footage was still recoverable. That's why I back up to a second hard drive (external or internal) also.

Guest mlpasley

To add to what Paul said....

When you Split the video, make the split for less than 20 minutes.

Then delete the rest of the video in the storyline.

Next do a File\ Output production as..... and select DV Camcorder.

Then burn the file you make to a DVD using Creator Classic.

Open a new production and repeat the process for the next portion of the video.

If you're using a DV camcorder, in the future go into the Capture preference and set the Capture time to 20 minutes or less. The program will stop capturing at the time you set. You just hit capture again and you'll get another portion captured into another file. When you put the video together on a storyline for your final movie, the process will be seamless. However, you can still put those separate files onto a DVD using Creator Classic.

Archived