• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Constant Hangups Using VideoWave 7

apcipriano

Question

Can anyone be of assistance in this matter? I have used Easy Media Creator versions 7 & 7.5 for over two years and learned, the hard way, not to edit in DVD Builder but Videowave instead. I just purchased a Dell XPS 400 with a 3.2 gig processor and 2 gigs of memory plus a Nvidia 7900 video processor. Ok, enough said about the computer. However, I use a Maxtor 300 gig USB external harddrive for the raw video feed, not wanting to fill up the computer harddrive. However, i'm getting CONSTANT hangups (hourglasses) using either the video trimmer, the transitions, even maniupulating audio tracks in the time line mode and I'm trying to complete a wedding video. Hours and hours of work are getting lost and now I have to save FREQUENTLY at intervals but THIS IS VIDEOWAVE, not DVD Builder and, like you, I have found this program to be wonderfully stable having used it all the time on my other computer, a Gateway notebook.

Any suggestions guys short of reloading the video onto the harddrive and starting from scratch? Your thoughts are appreciated!

Anthony

:)

15 answers to this question

Are you saying this only happens while using the extrernal drive? What type of files are these, mpeg or avi? This work should sail on the rig you have. If it is the external, and this is important work, why not buy a large internal drive and use the external as a backup for the video work. I'm sure the drive that came with that system is large as well and you might try partitioning the drive AND add another drive...they're very cheap if you look in the Sunday papers.

My beef with VW and using mpegs is that it's slow and while my system is slower than yours, some files give me the same problem and I need to break the size of the files down to be easier to manage. You might try doing that and see if it helps.

Paul...the files are avi and it happens too frequently in Videowave. Everyone on this page agrees that any video should be downloaded to the harddrive of the computer instead of an external and they're probably right! I'll 'bite the bullet" tonight and download the video all over again. Unfortuately, I suppose I won't be able to pick up the current project since it's mated to the external for video sourcing purposes. Any suggestions about partioning the harddrive. It's a RAID0 ATA 640 gig. I bought this computer with this size guessing that should last me a couple of years. My older computer is a Gateway notebook with an 80 gig hardrive running a 1.4 gig Pentium 4 processor. THANKS GUYS for your input. Hey....any ideas about upgrading to 8.0? I've heard that 7.5 (which unforntunately) I can't transfer to the new computer is the most stable. Thanks.

Anthony

Guest mlpasley

I'm not Paul, but I've got a couple of suggestions about video editing.

You should be able to use the current video just by copying it from your external drive to your internal drive.

After you move it, you'll have to do a File\ Browse for missing files to relink the video to your production.

Are you splitting your video in the Timeline View? That's usually the quickest way and doesn't result in as many hangups as if you use the Adjust Duration.

Next time, when you download your video, capture it into smaller files. For example, you can use the Capture settings to limit the capture to a time. I use between 10 - 15 minutes. The shorter video means that the program isn't spending all it's time generating previews.

Start with one of the files, edit that, then add the next file. You'll notice that the longer the production becomes, the longer the program will take to generate a preview.

I think Paul has been busy and hasn't seen your message yet.

I have no idea why you're still freezing in the storyline mode. Have you noticed that it freezes when you're doing just one task or all tasks?

Have you downloaded and applied the update for 7.0? You should be able to redownload 7.5 from the Roxio site. However, there was very little change in the video editing in the upgrade, so I'd finish up that production before you install the upgrade to 7.5.

You don't have to capture in smaller chunks of video. However, it does speed the process up considerably when you start with a smaller chunk of video, edit that, then add another chunk. I get rather impatient when I have to sit and wait for the program to generate a preview which it seems to do after most editing changes, especially in the storyline view.

I think I know the problem now. The Videowave project has been saved to one of the external hard drives and I think the computer is having issues with accessing same. I copied the project to the hard drive and there have no further issues. It's strange though...for over a year I have utilized this external drive to store the projects given the limited hard drive space of my laptop and everything worked fine, no freeze ups, etc.

One thing I am peeved about with this computer is that the music tracks I have layered in my timeline are playing back at a slower speed than the original and I really am at a loss as to how to compensate. The wedding is going slowly but surely but this is the latest issue. Have you ever experienced somthing like this?

Thanks for your input.

Anthony

Anthony, ml is right on....you should have no problems following his directions.

Wow, 640 gig drive huh? That's huge! In my little world, nothing beats Partition Magic for partitioning with no problems at all. There's free ways but to me, more problematic. Acronis also makes a good program but I've use PM for many years with 100% safety. I think it's well worth the cost. It's easy to follow and doesn't take long at all.

Not everyone agrees with me on this but I put my OS and not much more on a smaller partition and install all my programs on a larger partition. Since you've already got everything installed, forget that. I would think you could partiition 250 gigs or so just for video work where you're recorded and saved files are stored.

You're likely to get as many opinions as people on this topic.

Let us know how it goes.

I'd suggest reloading the video onto your hard drive and editing it there. Or if you have room and funds for a huge second hard drive, do as Paul suggested and install one. In newer computers, this is usually extremely easy if you follow the directions in your computer's manual.

The slowness is probably caused by the fact you're using an external drive. Communication with an external drive is much slower than with an internal drive.

External drives are a great way to move video files between computers and to store backups of your DVDs, but not a great way to edit video.

ml, why are External drives not a great way to edit video? I prefer to keep my video sources and my destination locations on separate drives and since I have only one internal hard drive I use an external drive for my source drives.

Guest mlpasley
ml, why are External drives not a great way to edit video? I prefer to keep my video sources and my destination locations on separate drives and since I have only one internal hard drive I use an external drive for my source drives.

Well, maybe that was too general a statement. :) It really depends on the communication between the computer and the external drive. I use an external with a firewire connection sometimes, but it's easier for me to use my new huge second internal hard drive. (They're so cheap now that I couldn't resist.)

I guess he could contact Dell and see if they can figure out why he's getting hang ups and lost work. Since he's on a deadline to get the wedding video done, I figured it would be faster for him to copy the video to the hard drive and finish the project. Then if he has some hours to spend with tech support perhaps they can figure out the communication problem.

Anthony, ml is right on....you should have no problems following his directions.

Wow, 640 gig drive huh? That's huge! In my little world, nothing beats Partition Magic for partitioning with no problems at all. There's free ways but to me, more problematic. Acronis also makes a good program but I've use PM for many years with 100% safety. I think it's well worth the cost. It's easy to follow and doesn't take long at all.

Not everyone agrees with me on this but I put my OS and not much more on a smaller partition and install all my programs on a larger partition. Since you've already got everything installed, forget that. I would think you could partiition 250 gigs or so just for video work where you're recorded and saved files are stored.

You're likely to get as many opinions as people on this topic.

Let us know how it goes.

Paul...I loaded the video last night onto my hard drive and started it as a new project. The files for the old project are on one of three (3) external harddrives so I just forewent those and started anew. In any event,

video at times is still freezing in the storyline mode and I'm interested in a speculation that I should be loading the video from the camera in smaller chunks. Did I relate that I'm using version 7 instead of 7.5?

For some reason, I can't copy the 7.5 update which I purchased from Roxio last year off my laptop to the new computer. I was wondering if the update might resolve any conflicts I'm currently having. I'm going to start using the Timeline mode strictly from now on and see if I get conflicts. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks.

Anthony :

Guest mlpasley

My guess for the external hard drive issue is that you have an IRQ conflict or hardware issue that is going to take someone with more knowledge of your computer than I can provide. If you've got Dell Tech Support, I'd suggest that you contact them when you can. (And don't let them tell you that it's the Roxio program's fault. You've got lots of RAM and unless they put in an extremely slow 'bus', you shouldn't have hangups.)

As for the sound issue, you're going to have to burn that production to a DVD RW or R and play it back on a DVD player to see if it's a playback issue on your computer or the sound is actually being played back at a different speed.

I have a suspicion that you might be having a playback issue on that computer. Do you have a separate audio card or do you have 'onboard sound'? You might have to play with the Control Panel\ Sounds....\ Speaker settings\ Advanced\ Performance settings...... to see if that will help.

( As an example, I bought a brand new computer and a family member tried to play an older game on it. We kept getting messages that my graphic card wasn't new enough. Finally, when I set the accelleration setting to low, I could play the game. You might be having a similar problem)

Guest mlpasley

I think Paul has been busy and hasn't seen your message yet.

I have no idea why you're still freezing in the storyline mode. Have you noticed that it freezes when you're doing just one task or all tasks?

Have you downloaded and applied the update for 7.0? You should be able to redownload 7.5 from the Roxio site. However, there was very little change in the video editing in the upgrade, so I'd finish up that production before you install the upgrade to 7.5.

You don't have to capture in smaller chunks of video. However, it does speed the process up considerably when you start with a smaller chunk of video, edit that, then add another chunk. I get rather impatient when I have to sit and wait for the program to generate a preview which it seems to do after most editing changes, especially in the storyline view.

Can anyone be of assistance in this matter? I have used Easy Media Creator versions 7 & 7.5 for over two years and learned, the hard way, not to edit in DVD Builder but Videowave instead. I just purchased a Dell XPS 400 with a 3.2 gig processor and 2 gigs of memory plus a Nvidia 7900 video processor. Ok, enough said about the computer. However, I use a Maxtor 300 gig USB external harddrive for the raw video feed, not wanting to fill up the computer harddrive. However, i'm getting CONSTANT hangups (hourglasses) using either the video trimmer, the transitions, even maniupulating audio tracks in the time line mode and I'm trying to complete a wedding video. Hours and hours of work are getting lost and now I have to save FREQUENTLY at intervals but THIS IS VIDEOWAVE, not DVD Builder and, like you, I have found this program to be wonderfully stable having used it all the time on my other computer, a Gateway notebook.

Any suggestions guys short of reloading the video onto the harddrive and starting from scratch? Your thoughts are appreciated!

Anthony

:)

Are you saying this only happens while using the extrernal drive? What type of files are these, mpeg or avi? This work should sail on the rig you have. If it is the external, and this is important work, why not buy a large internal drive and use the external as a backup for the video work. I'm sure the drive that came with that system is large as well and you might try partitioning the drive AND add another drive...they're very cheap if you look in the Sunday papers.

My beef with VW and using mpegs is that it's slow and while my system is slower than yours, some files give me the same problem and I need to break the size of the files down to be easier to manage. You might try doing that and see if it helps.

My guess for the external hard drive issue is that you have an IRQ conflict or hardware issue that is going to take someone with more knowledge of your computer than I can provide. If you've got Dell Tech Support, I'd suggest that you contact them when you can. (And don't let them tell you that it's the Roxio program's fault. You've got lots of RAM and unless they put in an extremely slow 'bus', you shouldn't have hangups.)

As for the sound issue, you're going to have to burn that production to a DVD RW or R and play it back on a DVD player to see if it's a playback issue on your computer or the sound is actually being played back at a different speed.

I have a suspicion that you might be having a playback issue on that computer. Do you have a separate audio card or do you have 'onboard sound'? You might have to play with the Control Panel\ Sounds....\ Speaker settings\ Advanced\ Performance settings...... to see if that will help.

( As an example, I bought a brand new computer and a family member tried to play an older game on it. We kept getting messages that my graphic card wasn't new enough. Finally, when I set the accelleration setting to low, I could play the game. You might be having a similar problem)

Thanks guy for the suggestions. I suspect it might be a hardware problem but when you're talking to Dell...

Yeah, the audio thing is puzzling too especially since I no issues on my older laptop. I'll try the setting thing and let you know. Appreciate your input. 'Also, if anyone out there reading this has had a similar problem with audio or a Dell XPS400 using Roxio, PLEASE let me know!

Anthony

Guest mlpasley
, if anyone out there reading this has had a similar problem with audio or a Dell XPS400 using Roxio, PLEASE let me know!

Anthony

Well, now you've got me thinking and a bit worried. A friend of mine is buying a 400 to do video editing...... :)

Guest mlpasley

I'd suggest reloading the video onto your hard drive and editing it there. Or if you have room and funds for a huge second hard drive, do as Paul suggested and install one. In newer computers, this is usually extremely easy if you follow the directions in your computer's manual.

The slowness is probably caused by the fact you're using an external drive. Communication with an external drive is much slower than with an internal drive.

External drives are a great way to move video files between computers and to store backups of your DVDs, but not a great way to edit video.

FWIW, I do not edit video from an external drive but I do play clips and ISOs from one without a problem.

Guest mlpasley
FWIW, I do not edit video from an external drive but I do play clips and ISOs from one without a problem.

Good observation. :)

That's because you're basically doing a one way communication with the external drive. All the computer has to do is read the information from the drive and play it.

Part of the problem could also be the hardware configuration of his computer but that's really beyond my ability to help.

Archived