Mp3 Track Numbering Question

George Saridakis

Question

Hi Folks,

I have large numbers of audio book cassette tapes which I am converting to mp3 format. Some of the books are long - 300 to 600 minutes and I tried the default track creation of 500 seconds which results in 30+ mp3 files (each a track).

The problem I have is that I have not figured out if I can convince the s/w to start numbering the tracks at 10 rather than 0 which causes problems for the mp3 player.

For example the player skips from track 1 to track 10 rather than proceed from track 1 to track 2.

Any suggestions besides manually renumbering all the file names would be appreciated.

Thanks

George

9 answers to this question

I am using export tracks from the sound editor.

Have you tried "Create Audiobooks" (Tutorial here but aimed for IPod). or "Music Disc Creator"? I haven't used "Create Audio Books" but I would think that would be a better choice. If you use "Sound Editor" to create clips and save as wav files. Then open "Music Disc Creator" and add those wav files. you can select to burn them as mp3 files from there. Before you burn, select "project Settings" There you have the ability to have the program rename the files to keep the play order.

I don't see nay way to do that using "Sound Editor" but perhaps somone will come in to help.

Have you tried "Create Audiobooks" (Tutorial here but aimed for IPod). or "Music Disc Creator"? I haven't used "Create Audio Books" but I would think that would be a better choice. If you use "Sound Editor" to create clips and save as wav files. Then open "Music Disc Creator" and add those wav files. you can select to burn them as mp3 files from there. Before you burn, select "project Settings" There you have the ability to have the program rename the files to keep the play order.

I don't see nay way to do that using "Sound Editor" but perhaps somone will come in to help.

I have tried using the Audiobooks feature. It appears to number the chapters correctly, but does not create a book/album folder. I will try to create that manually on my mp3 player and then move the chapters to the folder. I will post my success or further issues when I have run these experiments.

Thanks for the suggestion, as it certainly gets around the numbering issue.

George

Not sure what that is supposed to show me??? (maybe if I knew what I was doing it would have meaning :lol: )

I imported my 3 disc Audiobook into Roxio Audiobook Creator. Notice at the start (disc 1) how the 4th file equates to the 4th file after import:

post-39730-018683300 1300550685.jpg

(actually they were Track Numbers. The Track Numbers seem to corospond to the Chapter Numbers in the Project)

And too, notice that they can be moved up and down by mouse dragging, changing their order. I have even pulled in a music file here just to stand out better:

post-39730-042684500 1300550686.jpg

What I am drawing from this is that you can simple drag them into a new Project in the order you want or reorder them within the project then burn to disc as an MP3 disc and be on your way…

Of course I keep a stack of RW media on hand for testing, you should give it a try and let us know how you make out…

Not sure what that is supposed to show me??? (maybe if I knew what I was doing it would have meaning :lol: )

I imported my 3 disc Audiobook into Roxio Audiobook Creator. Notice at the start (disc 1) how the 4th file equates to the 4th file after import:

post-39730-018683300 1300550685.jpg

(actually they were Track Numbers. The Track Numbers seem to corospond to the Chapter Numbers in the Project)

And too, notice that they can be moved up and down by mouse dragging, changing their order. I have even pulled in a music file here just to stand out better:

post-39730-042684500 1300550686.jpg

What I am drawing from this is that you can simple drag them into a new Project in the order you want or reorder them within the project then burn to disc as an MP3 disc and be on your way…

Of course I keep a stack of RW media on hand for testing, you should give it a try and let us know how you make out…

Hi Jim,

What I did was to write down my workflow so that when I need to do this again a year from now I don't have to relearn what I did that worked.

I am not sure why re-ordering is appropriate, but if it works for you then great.

George

Hi Folks,

I have large numbers of audio book cassette tapes which I am converting to mp3 format. Some of the books are long - 300 to 600 minutes and I tried the default track creation of 500 seconds which results in 30+ mp3 files (each a track).

The problem I have is that I have not figured out if I can convince the s/w to start numbering the tracks at 10 rather than 0 which causes problems for the mp3 player.

For example the player skips from track 1 to track 10 rather than proceed from track 1 to track 2.

Any suggestions besides manually renumbering all the file names would be appreciated.

Thanks

George

What application within Creator 2010 are you using to create the audio books? Normally in this type of case, you would number each track with a digit number (001, 002, 003,010 etc. ) depending on the application. The order you are getting is a Windows default for data files.

What application within Creator 2010 are you using to create the audio books? Normally in this type of case, you would number each track with a digit number (001, 002, 003,010 etc. ) depending on the application. The order you are getting is a Windows default for data files.

I am using export tracks from the sound editor.

Archived