rmunde

Unbelievable Incompetence

Question

I have been using Roxio products starting with the original version of CD Creator for Windows. When I switched to Mac I purchased Toast 7 and have upgraded to every version up to an including Toast 10 Pro. My problem began when I purchased and attempted to install Toast 11 Pro. The install program on the disc failed and I wound up with an empty Toast 11 directory. I contacted Tech Support who responded very quickly with the exact steps I had already taken to install the program. (How hard can it be to install a program, right?)

I responded that I had already done that as I stated in my initial plea. The second response involved a ridiculous procedure for installing, which despite its outward-appearing stupidity, I followed. That didn't work either. I wrote again and got a response directing me to support for CD Creator, which is a different program for a different OS. I again asked for help and was provided a phone number to call for a replacement disc. Someone finally understood that the disc was defective. Hooray! But not so fast. The person I spoke with had an accent that made understanding him difficult. Plus he had some verbal tic, constantly repeating, "uh huh." He was unable to understand that the disc was defective. First he thought I was saying I hadn't received the item and sent me a tracking number. Then he suggested I call Tech Support. I demurred. I tried 3 or 4 times to explain the situation to no avail and in utter frustration, asked for a refund.

I understand the realities of our current economy, but having tech and customer support reps who can actually comprehend written and spoken English seems like a fundamental requirement if you're doing business in this country. I have never experienced the incompetence and out-right stupidity I experienced with Roxio support with any other company I have ever dealt with. So Sonic, Roxio, whomever, you have lost a customer of many years. Since it seems impossible to upgrade your product, I will stay with Toast 10 Pro until it no longer runs on my system and then find a competing product that will.

8 answers to this question

I have the same frustrations with Roxio's tech support. The discussion boards are a better source of fixes and work arounds.

I had thought things had gotten better after the Sonic acquisition, but they may as well not have support if that is all they can offer. I struck out 4 for 4 with Roxio tech support reps.

outsourcing, a waste of corporate profits and an excellent decision by those guys in corporate suits to kill sales : are you listing ROXIO ?

outsourcing, a waste of corporate profits and an excellent decision by those guys in corporate suits to kill sales : are you listing ROXIO ?

They quit listening years ago.

I’m sure sales have dwindled.

They do not care!

OK. It's reasonable to vent frustrations and certainly some users have their reasons to feel frustrated. But I'm going to lock this thread because this forum is for helping users solve issues and learn how to get the most of the Toast bundle of applications. Feel free to criticize Roxio, but do so in a post where you're seeking application-specific help in resolving an issue.

I have been using Roxio products starting with the original version of CD Creator for Windows. When I switched to Mac I purchased Toast 7 and have upgraded to every version up to an including Toast 10 Pro. My problem began when I purchased and attempted to install Toast 11 Pro. The install program on the disc failed and I wound up with an empty Toast 11 directory. I contacted Tech Support who responded very quickly with the exact steps I had already taken to install the program. (How hard can it be to install a program, right?)

I responded that I had already done that as I stated in my initial plea. The second response involved a ridiculous procedure for installing, which despite its outward-appearing stupidity, I followed. That didn't work either. I wrote again and got a response directing me to support for CD Creator, which is a different program for a different OS. I again asked for help and was provided a phone number to call for a replacement disc. Someone finally understood that the disc was defective. Hooray! But not so fast. The person I spoke with had an accent that made understanding him difficult. Plus he had some verbal tic, constantly repeating, "uh huh." He was unable to understand that the disc was defective. First he thought I was saying I hadn't received the item and sent me a tracking number. Then he suggested I call Tech Support. I demurred. I tried 3 or 4 times to explain the situation to no avail and in utter frustration, asked for a refund.

I understand the realities of our current economy, but having tech and customer support reps who can actually comprehend written and spoken English seems like a fundamental requirement if you're doing business in this country. I have never experienced the incompetence and out-right stupidity I experienced with Roxio support with any other company I have ever dealt with. So Sonic, Roxio, whomever, you have lost a customer of many years. Since it seems impossible to upgrade your product, I will stay with Toast 10 Pro until it no longer runs on my system and then find a competing product that will.

Hi Rmunde -

I was just alerted to this thread. I have looped in our Customer Care Management team to see exactly went on in your ticket and have personally reviewed your ticket and attached screen shots.

Where did you purchase your copy of Toast 11 from? Was it from our eStore or elsewhere?

Thanks,

Jon

OK. It's reasonable to vent frustrations and certainly some users have their reasons to feel frustrated. But I'm going to lock this thread because this forum is for helping users solve issues and learn how to get the most of the Toast bundle of applications. Feel free to criticize Roxio, but do so in a post where you're seeking application-specific help in resolving an issue.

I just scrolled down to see this, TSantee.

Rmunde - I'll contact you via PM and well get you taken care of offline.

Jon