• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

samlieb

No Sound In Dvd Made From Avi ?

Question

I have made a great looking DVD from 2 avi's. The problem is there is no sound. I am using Toast 7. I use the video tab and I select DVD-Video. I used Automatic Encoding (although next time, I want to use Custom Encoding so I can change the aspect ratio). It is telling me that Audio is Dolby Digital 192 kps.

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong, or what I can do to get sound on my DVD?

Thanks very much.

Samantha

9 answers to this question

Sounds like these AVI files are actually containers for DivX files with AC3 sound.

Normally... all you would have to do is install the free AC3 QuickTime decoder component available from here.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22994

However, QuickTime v7.0.2 made some changes which disable all variable bit rate encoders, including AC3 sound in DivX files. Your option is to wait for a fix in QuickTime, or downgrade to a prior version of QuickTime.

Would be nice if Toast would kick an error message out instead of just burning DVDs with no sound, wouldn't it. Oh well.

The best solution I'm seeing at the moment, if it works, is to use ffmpegX to reencode the .avi files that are Divx w/AC3 audio into something else, like Divx w/mp3 audio or something. It'll be time consuming, but will hopefully work alright.

Thanks for the update and the link to the component Fingerman. I'll have to try it out soon. So far I've had success with the workaround of using FFmpegX to convert the avi files with DivX containers using AC3 audio over to DivX with mp3 audio and then burn those without problem with Toast. Only thing I noticed was that FFmpegX seems to default the mp3 conversion to 128 kbps audio, though the original AC3 was 192 kbps, but, that's easily switched over to preserve 192kbps.

Hopefully the new codec will work automatically and allow us to skip having to convert all the files though.

The component work for most of the Divx with AC3 files I've tried. One didn't work, so I guess there is still some bugs in it, but it is better. It's also much faster then converting with ffmpeg first.

The component work for most of the Divx with AC3 files I've tried. One didn't work, so I guess there is still some bugs in it, but it is better. It's also much faster then converting with ffmpeg first.

And what is to be done with this component, and what is it going to do?

And what is to be done with this component, and what is it going to do?

Put it in /Library/QuickTime. It will allow QT to play back DivX/XviD files with AC3 sound and thus also allow Toast to burn a DVD w/sound from such files.

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

Maybe someone could help me with this.

My avi video came with an AC3Filter.exe file (PC?) so the AC3 component for QT didn't work.

I also tried playing it using VLC, MPlayer but still no audio.

I used ffmpegx to find that the avi in fact has audio which reads like this

"0x2001, 48000Hz, 5 channels, 754kb/s" and it produced a zero byte file when I tried converting it to MP3 audio. :)

Any help would be much appreciated.