• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Toast 11.0.1: Much Improved Over 11.0.0

pupdocdiver

Question

I got home tonight and downloaded update to Toast 11.0.1. I ran a test project that involved encoding 4 HDV quicktime movies edited with Final Cut Studio 7.0.3. Each movie was 5-15 minutes in length and I was creating an AVCHD project using best encode and burned to plain old DVD 5. 1) Encode was complete without the dreaded error message that was so prevalent in Toast 10.0.3-10.0.8 (2) Project burned all the way through to 100% and wrote lead out- no hang at 99% as in Toast 11.0.0. (3) also creating disc image of project and that also burned properly.

(4) Checked out media browser- search function seems to work, at least with iTunes. However, with my newly created AVCHD blu ray disc mounted on my desk top, when AVCHD was selected in media browser, no files showed up. In Toast 11.0.0 and Toast 10.0.8 they did appear. (5) The Roxio elegato player can play the newly created disc but I have to open it with File>open>disc on desktop. It also plays it in 4:3 aspect rather than 16:9 aspect. When I go back to Toast 10.0.8 player, it used to play in 4:3 aspect but played disc I created tonight in proper 16:9 aspect. In 10.0.8 I can open the player either directly from the media browser by clicking on the file there or by opening the player directly and doing File>open> disc on desktop. (6) I did not check out the compatibility of web video in the media browser with the new flash player plug-in since it was working fine with a slightly older version and I didn't want to hose Toast 10.0.8 since I still use that program at times. All in all, at first blush a major improvement over the original release which was not ready for prime time. Let's hope things keep working on subsequent projects!

Steve

8 answers to this question

I'm pleased the update came so quickly. One note on your post: the new Roxio video player isn't connected with ElGato like the one in Toast 10 (and earlier). That's why it is behaving differently. The new Roxio Video Player can play more formats than could the Toast (ElGato) Video Player. You should be able to control-click on a video in the Finder and choose Open with... Roxio Video Player from the contextual menu. The aspect ratio can be changed with a selection in the View menu.

Is there any way to get the player to play all of the titles on the disc? It seems that when one track finishes, you have to go into controls manually and select another title track.

Also, the player will not play commercial blu-ray discs- I can't even get the disc to mount on my desk top.

Is there any way to get the player to play all of the titles on the disc? It seems that when one track finishes, you have to go into controls manually and select another title track.

Apparently not. There is the control at the bottom-right for manually selecting individual titles but no way to know each title's contents until it's loaded.

Also, the player will not play commercial blu-ray discs- I can't even get the disc to mount on my desk top.

I don't have a Blu-ray drive so I have no way to check this out.

Guest ivanatrox

The Roxio video player is not as good as the elgato one found in popcorn4 ..... my mts (avchd) files stutter on the Roxio player and play like butter on the elgato one.....

What was the camcorder you use to record the video files?

I'll provide the feedback to Dev team.

It is not supposed to. It will play AVCHD disc created by Toast though.

What was the camcorder you use to record the video files?

I know this question was posed to another member, but I also get stutter on playback with Toast Video Player of AVCHD blu ray DVD5s created in Toast 11.0.1. My original files were HDV recorded on Sony HC9 camcorder. Edited in native format in Final Cut Studio 3 (FCP 7.0.3). No problem playing in set top blu ray player.

I'm pleased the update came so quickly. One note on your post: the new Roxio video player isn't connected with ElGato like the one in Toast 10 (and earlier). That's why it is behaving differently. The new Roxio Video Player can play more formats than could the Toast (ElGato) Video Player. You should be able to control-click on a video in the Finder and choose Open with... Roxio Video Player from the contextual menu. The aspect ratio can be changed with a selection in the View menu.

Thanks for the information on the new video player. Aspect is set to automatic which seems to default to 4:3. However, as you suggested, it is easy to change. This update seems to have addressed the major problems associated with the initial release. Too bad Roxio didn't wait a week and do it right in the first place.

The Roxio video player is not as good as the elgato one found in popcorn4 ..... my mts (avchd) files stutter on the Roxio player and play like butter on the elgato one.....

Archived