• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Roxio Pro 2011 Hangs

joca

Question

I bought roxio pro2011 via download. Never experienced anything odd during installation. The ongoing and continual problem is that the programme hangs very frequently and if I don't save every single move/change I make I just lose it which when trying to compile movies is an absolute nightmare. I have seen more complaints about this than perhaps I should and would expect a fix for it long ago. Is the programme just unstable and unsuitable for what it is suggested??. I have also reinstalled. I am using

Win7 X 64 bit

4 gig ram

more than enough chip

SP1

23 answers to this question

lol Frank.

Had a lot of help here today, but of course I still have my original problem of hanging. If it is me then hopefully I will soon work through it , if it is the programme then hopefully Sonic will soon work though it, either way I won't give up just yet and we must not forget microsoft's hand in all of this win 7 is no easy monster.

I will have to admire your sticking with your problem and trying to get it fixed. many times it just takes a lot of patience and help from many of the experts we have on the forum.

Frank...

Thanks Frank

There is no particular sequence of events that causes videowave to freeze other than obviously editing whatever and with whatever be it audio/video effects just any of the editing functions. I originally thought that it was being caused by me being impatient by overclicking one function whilst another was still activating but I soon dismissed this idea by taking longer in between editing. Sometimes it will freeze even after making only one click before even doing anything, there is no given sequence of events that spark this off. If videowave acted in a particular way or pattern then I could consider there being a file missing but it doesn't. It just stops responding whenever.

Grateful for all the efforts happening here to resolve this issue

If you have been editing and reediting a project several times, go to the top menu and select tools, options and clear the proxy files. These just help open the project faster when you open and close it. The proxy files will be rebuilt with only what you have in the project now. All of the extraneous stuff will be deleted.

The proxy files are temporary files that are usually deleted when you reboot the computer. Most people now don't do that very often. It is possible that they are not being deleted.

Addint to what Steve suggested regarding the "proxy files", when you save your project, that location has two files it saves. One is the name of your project with a "dmsm" extension. The other one is the name of your saved project that has a "dat" extension. I'm not suggesting that this will solve your problem but you can also go to your saved project location and delete the "dat" file for that project and just leave the "dmsm" file there.

I have found that after saving a particular project several times, and when I open it up to do additional work, all the slide photos appear to be out of focus or blurred. Deleting that "dat" file usually fixes that. But even if the slide photos look blurred, does not mean that the project is bad. Just another suggestion if you encounter this.

Frank...

Addint to what Steve suggested regarding the "proxy files", when you save your project, that location has two files it saves. One is the name of your project with a "dmsm" extension. The other one is the name of your saved project that has a "dat" extension. I'm not suggesting that this will solve your problem but you can also go to your saved project location and delete the "dat" file for that project and just leave the "dmsm" file there.

I have found that after saving a particular project several times, and when I open it up to do additional work, all the slide photos appear to be out of focus or blurred. Deleting that "dat" file usually fixes that. But even if the slide photos look blurred, does not mean that the project is bad. Just another suggestion if you encounter this.

Frank...

Thank you very much for all the replies and help I am sure that somewhere with all the suggestions it will get resolved.

Here is a different query?

I have just completed a vid/dvd it lasts 2hrs 11 mins (content filmed over the course of a year) OK it exported out at Mpeg 2 best and made 8+ gig and obviously compressed down to a 4.7 gig dvd I not that the quality is not great, not bad but not great which you would expect from a file this size however, I don't normally do disks with this much content they normally run for about an hour. Would the feeling be that it would be better to spread over 2 disks and run with a high quality production, or suffer the quality. I can't produce a dual layer disk. I don't have the drive. I would appreciate any suggestions on this on the best course of action in Roxio.

Thank you very much for all the replies and help I am sure that somewhere with all the suggestions it will get resolved.

Here is a different query?

I have just completed a vid/dvd it lasts 2hrs 11 mins (content filmed over the course of a year) OK it exported out at Mpeg 2 best and made 8+ gig and obviously compressed down to a 4.7 gig dvd I not that the quality is not great, not bad but not great which you would expect from a file this size however, I don't normally do disks with this much content they normally run for about an hour. Would the feeling be that it would be better to spread over 2 disks and run with a high quality production, or suffer the quality. I can't produce a dual layer disk. I don't have the drive. I would appreciate any suggestions on this on the best course of action in Roxio.

Since a standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of best quality (HQ setting) video, obviously your 130 minute video is highly compressed giving you poor quality. You may have used the Fit-to-disc setting which is the worst choice to make. You should be able to split the video over 2 DVDs and still have good quality.

Since a standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of best quality (HQ setting) video, obviously your 130 minute video is highly compressed giving you poor quality. You may have used the Fit-to-disc setting which is the worst choice to make. You should be able to split the video over 2 DVDs and still have good quality.

Thank you Frank very helpful.My dvd has a cut off point which will make 2 just over 1hr disks it has an interval and is a recording of a local variety show. What would you suggest the next best quality down from HQ would be best for each disk?

Thank you Frank very helpful.My dvd has a cut off point which will make 2 just over 1hr disks it has an interval and is a recording of a local variety show. What would you suggest the next best quality down from HQ would be best for each disk?

Don't go down ! Burn to an ISO (image) file at best quality and then use the application on the Home page to burn the ISO to the disc. The program will make it fit at the best possible quality for the disc size.

Don't go down ! Burn to an ISO (image) file at best quality and then use the application on the Home page to burn the ISO to the disc. The program will make it fit at the best possible quality for the disc size.

Thanks Sknis

when you say don't go down are you saying don't split to 2 disks but keep it to 1 while burning with an ISO.

Thanks Sknis

when you say don't go down are you saying don't split to 2 disks but keep it to 1 while burning with an ISO.

My preference for your sistuation would be to split over 2 DVDs, ie. create 2 iso files using the HQ settings and then burn the iso file to the DVDs.

sknis might have a different opinion.

If you have some RW DVDs you could try a single iso and see if you can burn that to a DVD and check if the quality is satisfactory.

My preference for your sistuation would be to split over 2 DVDs, ie. create 2 iso files using the HQ settings and then burn the iso file to the DVDs.

If you have some RW DVDs you could try a single iso and see if you can burn that to a DVD and check if the quality is satisfactory.

Your preference is my preference ! :P

I wouldn't even thy the single layer DVD of the entire movie.

Thanks again Frank

The dvd I am watching at the moment is on 1 disk. I exported to mpeg 2 best quality and then compressed it in convert X to DVD the quality as you can imagine is ok but I know it can be better so why compromise ?

Thats a first did not know I could do that in Roxio but I am still learning the pro not had it that long.

Can't get my head round thinking 2 hrs on a 4.7 gig could be good quality so if there is a way of doing it and make it a good quality I would like to know.

Thanks again Frank

The dvd I am watching at the moment is on 1 disk. I exported to mpeg 2 best quality and then compressed it in convert X to DVD the quality as you can imagine is ok but I know it can be better so why compromise ?

Thats a first did not know I could do that in Roxio but I am still learning the pro not had it that long.

Can't get my head round thinking 2 hrs on a 4.7 gig could be good quality so if there is a way of doing it and make it a good quality I would like to know.

I am not Frank:rolleyes:

2 hours on a 4.7GB DVD will not be good quality. Of course you have to judge if the quality is acceptable.

I am not Frank:rolleyes:

2 hours on a 4.7GB DVD will not be good quality. Of course you have to judge if the quality is acceptable.

Apologies myguggi

trying to keep up with all the replies

Anytime someone posts something like, my pc is more than enough… I get suspicious :lol:

Next time post your Specs rather than your feeling ;)

For now, let's try this...

Do the Prep Steps to the letter!

Then start to install of the Suite, only pick Repair when it is offered.

You will have to reinstall the SP1 but hold up on that until you check out the Repair results.

I'll drink to that:lol:

Frank...

lol Frank.

Had a lot of help here today, but of course I still have my original problem of hanging. If it is me then hopefully I will soon work through it , if it is the programme then hopefully Sonic will soon work though it, either way I won't give up just yet and we must not forget microsoft's hand in all of this win 7 is no easy monster.

Anytime someone posts something like, my pc is more than enough… I get suspicious :lol:

Next time post your Specs rather than your feeling ;)

For now, let's try this...

Do the Prep Steps to the letter!

Then start to install of the Suite, only pick Repair when it is offered.

You will have to reinstall the SP1 but hold up on that until you check out the Repair results.

Thank you for your reply. One small point. I did not say Quote"my pc is more than enough" I said more than enough chip I.E more than the minimum requirements.

OK I am grateful that you have replied because this is becoming a nightmare situation with the hangs.

I have reinstalled and selected the offered repair I have also reinstalled SP1

Spec

Win 7 Pro x 64 bit + SP1

AMD Athlon x22 240 Processor

2813 Mhz, 2 cores 2 logical processor

4 gig ram memory

I will do the above again to make sure I do the prep steps correctly.

Thank you

You really want to split hairs about this???

I specifically stated that ”Anytime someone posts something like, …”

And I should point out that it is an Athlon X2 not an X22 ;)

Trying to help you out here not play semantics games :(

Let us know how the repair work out because that is about the only fix that can be offered :lol:

You really want to split hairs about this???

I specifically stated that ”Anytime someone posts something like, …”

And I should point out that it is an Athlon X2 not an X22 ;)

Trying to help you out here not play semantics games :(

Let us know how the repair work out because that is about the only fix that can be offered :lol:

Thanks for your help in this and I do appreciate it. It is not about splitting hairs what it is about is if you are going to quote what me or anybody else says then surely it would be better to quote correctly. I don't really care to be honest, my main concern is to get this programme working properly and unfortunately your fix does not work. This programme is very expensive if it does not work and I know I am not the only person that is having this problem from the outset then it needs a software fix. The programme obviously has a bug or bugs for which a fix didn't make it into SP1. Sorry the X22 was a typo. So if the repair was the only thing that can be offered where do we go from here? does the programme have a problem with win 7 pro x64 bit?? lol

Thanks for your help in this and I do appreciate it. It is not about splitting hairs what it is about is if you are going to quote what me or anybody else says then surely it would be better to quote correctly. I don't really care to be honest, my main concern is to get this programme working properly and unfortunately your fix does not work. This programme is very expensive if it does not work and I know I am not the only person that is having this problem from the outset then it needs a software fix. The programme obviously has a bug or bugs for which a fix didn't make it into SP1. Sorry the X22 was a typo. So if the repair was the only thing that can be offered where do we go from here? does the programme have a problem with win 7 pro x64 bit?? lol

There are lots of users having no problems with C2011 and W7 64 bit so I doubt very much that there is a bug responsible for your problems.

Perhaps if you described your project a bit with some detail (how long, what source format, what you are doing, etc) someone can see a problem.

There are lots of users having no problems with C2011 and W7 64 bit so I doubt very much that there is a bug responsible for your problems.

Perhaps if you described your project a bit with some detail (how long, what source format, what you are doing, etc) someone can see a problem.

Thank you for your reply also, hopefully somewhere down the line my probs will be solved.

OK

It was a toss up whether to purchase Nero or Roxio so I went for Roxio to purely edit video filmed in a canon HFS200 HD camcorder. Some background. We are a small village in England and I as an amateur

I film different projects shows, outside events, I have been doing this for a number of years and produced some good DVD's so I thought a move to 2011 would be a good move so I bought a download. I am not an expert on a pc but I am no mug either pc or mac but this programme has been driving me nuts, I takes over 4 times as long to produce a 1 or 2 hour film due to the continual hanging. I followed the prep and repair to the letter but the problem is still apparent. I now wonder if there is a problem with the downloaded versions, it took a really long time to download at the time.Once edited it is no problem export works well and a final conversion to a dvd is also no problem. I usually don't burn to HD due to there being mixed TV's SD & HD so I export to mepg 2 best quality, but as I say compression & burning is not an issue, it is while using videowave.

Thank you for your reply also, hopefully somewhere down the line my probs will be solved.

OK

It was a toss up whether to purchase Nero or Roxio so I went for Roxio to purely edit video filmed in a canon HFS200 HD camcorder. Some background. We are a small village in England and I as an amateur

I film different projects shows, outside events, I have been doing this for a number of years and produced some good DVD's so I thought a move to 2011 would be a good move so I bought a download. I am not an expert on a pc but I am no mug either pc or mac but this programme has been driving me nuts, I takes over 4 times as long to produce a 1 or 2 hour film due to the continual hanging. I followed the prep and repair to the letter but the problem is still apparent. I now wonder if there is a problem with the downloaded versions, it took a really long time to download at the time.Once edited it is no problem export works well and a final conversion to a dvd is also no problem. I usually don't burn to HD due to there being mixed TV's SD & HD so I export to mepg 2 best quality, but as I say compression & burning is not an issue, it is while using videowave.

So O.K.---Tell us exactly what or where your problem seems to exits in Videowave. Tell us what you are doing at the time the problem starts or you are having a problem ?

Frank...

So O.K.---Tell us exactly what or where your problem seems to exits in Videowave. Tell us what you are doing at the time the problem starts or you are having a problem ?

Frank...

Thanks Frank

There is no particular sequence of events that causes videowave to freeze other than obviously editing whatever and with whatever be it audio/video effects just any of the editing functions. I originally thought that it was being caused by me being impatient by overclicking one function whilst another was still activating but I soon dismissed this idea by taking longer in between editing. Sometimes it will freeze even after making only one click before even doing anything, there is no given sequence of events that spark this off. If videowave acted in a particular way or pattern then I could consider there being a file missing but it doesn't. It just stops responding whenever.

Grateful for all the efforts happening here to resolve this issue

Archived