• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Hd To Sd 4X3 Content In 16X9 Pillar Box

TiffanyClayton

Question

I have an HD project 1920x1080 of a classic movie that was originally shot as 4x3, so basically it's pillar boxed content. I'm making a Blu-ray and need to also make a DVD with the same content. My question is, will this letter box my HD content on a 4x3 TV and if so, how do I get it to Pan and Scan JUST the movie and leave all my menus as LB?

6 answers to this question

I only use this software when I want to produce Blu-ray and DVD with the same project. My movie is always 16:9 format.

Please look at: http://www.videoproductions.com.au/html/folder-structure.html

Do you have tried to use some pictures like menu?

Look at Chapter 11 and pages 30 and 49.

Indeed you have a hard question... and I am not an expert about this software who has a limited interest for me. If I will see a solution I put a new post.

Hi Tiffany,

OK! I can understand your problem: several times I upscaled some old DVD's 4:3. PAN and SCAN is possible with NLE software. If I convert 4:3 to 16:9 the result is a distort video (image stretched). Indeed 1920x1080p can have 4:3 in middle. The video is not real HD but something alike.It has correct look because is not distorted. A few situations I upscaled DVD 4:3 to 16:9 Blu-ray gave me these conclusions.

Hi Tiffany,

OK! I can understand your problem: several times I upscaled some old DVD's 4:3. PAN and SCAN is possible with NLE software. If I convert 4:3 to 16:9 the result is a distort video (image stretched). Indeed 1920x1080p can have 4:3 in middle. The video is not real HD but something alike.It has correct look because is not distorted. A few situations I upscaled DVD 4:3 to 16:9 Blu-ray gave me these conclusions.

This is REAL HD, from film to HDCAM to hard drive @ 1920x1080/24p. The problem is the original film content was in 4x3 (more or less)so it's pillar boxed in HD. I now need to down-rez this for an (SD)DVD, which supposedly I can do just by choosing DVD as my output from DVDit Pro HD. I'm just concerned about what this will look like on regular 4x3 TV, many of our clientele still have "old school" TV's. I need a PAN & SCAN option for 4x3 and I'm not seeing it in DVDit Pro HD.

I am queit sure that is not possible to do what you want with DVDit!. You must use your NLE software to downscaling and after to produce supported video and audio files (manual pages 40;65;66;167)as you want.If you want only 4:3 format you can try and DVDit! will not change 4:3 to 16:9. You have only menu editor options (manual pages 164;165;). Indeed 1920x1080p can have 4:3 in middle like it was letterbox.

Archived