• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Eyetv, Toast 9 Basic, Error 18775, 30 Minute Limit

Kitzkatz

Question

I am trying to transfer an EyeTV recording to a dvd via the included Toast 9 Basic (9.0.4), using the Toast button in the EyeTV recordings window. I have edited this recording with the EyeTV software from about an hour to 42 minutes (removing commercials). Toast starts the encoding and gets to 19% before it stops with the Mac OS error 18775. As far as I can tell, this is about the same place as my first internal clip, though I did remove the first minute, too.

After searching for solutions, I have exported this recording into several different formats (Program Stream, Elemental Stream, mp4, and even Toast) and then tried to drag the result back into the Toast window (opened independently). In all cases, Toast says "Toast Basic is limited to encoding 2 titles not exceeding a total length of 30 minutes."

As a test, I tried to burn an hour long, unedited EyeTV recording from inside EyeTV (Toast button), and it worked perfectly, so the 30 minute limit doesn't apply from inside EyeTV. Unfortunately, I don't have the unedited recording of the show I want, but I don't transfer to dvd often, so I would rather not invest in a newer version of Toast right now in order to burn the exported files. (I own version 7, but it's probably in storage somewhere, or on a long-gone computer.)

So, is there a way to clean up my edited recording so Toast Basic won't fail? Is it likely a full version of Toast would fail, too? I could just divide it, export the pieces and burn 2 dvds with 21 min each, but if I'm missing something, I'd like to know.

Thanks, especially if the answer is here somewhere and I just haven't found it.

Mac Mini Intel (2010), OS 10.6.6, EyeTV 3.4.3, Toast Basic 9.0.4

3 answers to this question

Thanks, but the Custom button isn't available in Basic when I use it as a standalone. There are two encoding choices in the left hand menu (above "More") - Automatic and Custom, but Custom is greyed out with the UPG symbol. Same thing if I follow the More menu. I'm not really surprised, just annoyed that it won't work from inside EyeTV on an edited file. (I tried a different edited file and it failed, too.) I'm wondering if this isn't by design - no way to remove commercials!

Thanks, but the Custom button isn't available in Basic when I use it as a standalone. There are two encoding choices in the left hand menu (above "More") - Automatic and Custom, but Custom is greyed out with the UPG symbol. Same thing if I follow the More menu. I'm not really surprised, just annoyed that it won't work from inside EyeTV on an edited file. (I tried a different edited file and it failed, too.) I'm wondering if this isn't by design - no way to remove commercials!

It's not by design. However, I'm disappointed that Toast 9 Basic lacks the option to choose Never Re-encode. That is pretty essential when making video DVDs from existing MPEG 2 files that already meet the video DVD spec. I suggest getting Toast 11. Roxio has been running some specials.

Toast should not need to do any encoding of either the program stream or elementary stream exported from EyeTV. Go to the custom encoder settings window in Toast and choose Never next to Re-encoding. That should result in Toast just multiplexing the video and bypassing the 30-minute limit. To get to the custom encoder settings window click the More... button at the lower left of the Toast window, click the Encoding tab and then click the Custom button.

Archived