Lucas H

Using Dvd+R Dl With Bd Plugin?

Question

Hello Fellow Toasters,

I recently upgraded to Toast 11 with the BluRay Plugin. I am burning H.264 files to DVD media via my Mac's redlaser Superdrive, for playback on Blu Ray Players. I was able to burn a 4gb video onto a DVD-R, and it plays back on my Samsung BD-P1600 player, and it looks great! I then tried to burn a 5gb video file (same settings as the previous video) to a DVD+R DL (double layer 8.7gb). The burn appears to work perfectly and toast verifies the Disc. But when I put the disc in my Samsung player, it says "unable to read disc." I tried playing the disc on my mac with the Roxio Player, and it works.

So I am thinking the problem is with my BD player. But before I go out and buy some DVD-R DL discs and test those, I thought I would check here. Has anyone had issues with DVD+R DL from a mac superdrive? Or is it probably my BD player which is not able to recognize the DVD+R DL?

Thanks in advance for any help or incite!

3 answers to this question

Sorry, this isn't an answer to your problem.

I've been doing the same thing. Or at least similiar.

I have a Mac Mini with a red laser and Toast 11.0.1.

I've been burning to DVD-R my film collection, which consists of old SF films in various formats. DivX, AVI, Generic-MP4, MP4, M4V etc.

I'd start Toast 11; then select DATA -> DVD-ROM(UDF) -> create a disc name add the various movie files.

Each time I'd burn the project to a DVD+RW disc first and check it was OK, before burning to a DVD-R.

I'd test the DVD-R's in my Sony BDP-S370 Blu-ray player, which has the latest firmware installed.

I burnt 5 DVDs with no problem. All films play without a problem.

Then when I tested the DVD+RW from the latest project I'd got a DVD symbol with a "?" across it.

The blu-ray player couldn't play the DVD. ie; could not read DVD.

I've been trying everything I can the last day or two to correct this problem, up to and including re-installing Toast 11.

With odd results.

I burnt two films to a DVD+RW using the above process and it worked fine.

Film 1

Video Tracks: Generic MPEG-4, 1280 × 720, 23.976 fps, 2.94 Mbps

Audio Tracks: AC3, 48 kHz, 384 kbps

Film 2

Video Tracks: H.264, 1920 × 1080, 23.976 fps, 2.37 Mbps

Audio Tracks: (ac-3), 640 kbps

Then when using the same process again to burn some other films, it failed with an unreadable DVD.

I'm perplexed as to what's going on. I think it's either similiar too or thee same issue as above.

Any information gratefully received.

Well, I found a solution to my problem after a couple of days of doing "test burns", each different until i tracked down what was going on.

I'd start Toast 11; then select DATA -> DVD-ROM (UDF) -> create a disc name add the various movie files.

Each movie file was inside a folder. I did this as some movies came with sequels or images, (posters etc). and or music.

So putting it all in a separate folder made sense.

And each DVD had a couple of folders. ie; a couple of movies with various extras.

Long story short, I found that the DVDs that would not play, would not play because either the main folder or a sub-folder had either a "." or "," in it's name.

Strange but true. Put a "." in any folder name and that DVD would not play on the Blu-ray player. They would however play on a standard DVD Player.

I removed all the "." and ","; ( and anything but "-"); from all the folder names and the DVDs that wouldn't play on the Blu-ray Player, played without a problem.

Edited by phase52010

Alright, I figured out my problem...

It was in fact my Blu-Ray player. I was able to test the DVD+RDL in my friends Sony Blu-ray player, and a Playstation 3, and it worked in both of them.