VHS2DVD finishing probles

jimbo3

Question

Yes, i'm new to VHS to DVD also and had similar problems. If I try to manually stop a recording by clicking the spinning Finishing icon it seems to never stop and the disc tray locks up. I have to shut down the computer and when I restart it, push the disc eject button on the computer in order to retrieve the disc. My other problem has been having the recording process stop at just over an hr. of recording whether or not I typed in a time such as, lets say 1hr. and 30minutes or just leave it blank and let it run until finished and then manually hit the stop icon. The impression I get from the instructions, it will run timed or untimed to the end assuming I am using discs that will record over 60minutes. What I am using are Memorex DVD-R 16x/4.7GB/120min. discs. Now these may not be the greatest (not realy sure which to use for decent recordings) but aren't they supposed to run beyond 60minutes as they say. What am I missing?

Can anyone give some help that's not so overly technical? Thanks

7 answers to this question

It gets silly when you look :lol:

“Double Layer” is a term applied to DVD+R whereas “Dual Layer” is the term used by DVD-R…

Where is gets silly, is that I have seen “Double Layer” + discs referred to as “Dual Layer” in the same paragraph by manufactures

They ARE different and are recorded and likewise read in a completely different manner. Other than that, they are the same :huh:Wikipedia

Use your Device Manager to read your Drive ID. Then search that ID number to find the specs. Read carefully what it can WRITE to.

As far as ‘dash’ & ‘plus’… Minor differences in the way things are done, all of which are out of our control. Major differences in who holds the Patent and therefore receives the Royalties :lol:

Did some checking and I see DL must stand for Double Layer. However, brings up another question, in checking these 8.5gb discs, they appear to be all +'s and didn't see any -. This may sound pretty ellementary but what is the difference between "+" & "-" in disc designations?

Thanks again

I use +R/+RW/+R DL DVD Media and use a utility or software to bit set the book type to DVD-Rom what bought commercial DVD Disc's are. This cannot be done with -R media.

Why DVD+R(W) is superior to DVD-R(W) <- most indepth article by Spath

http://www.myce.com/article/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW-203/

Yes, i'm new to VHS to DVD also and had similar problems. If I try to manually stop a recording by clicking the spinning Finishing icon it seems to never stop and the disc tray locks up. I have to shut down the computer and when I restart it, push the disc eject button on the computer in order to retrieve the disc. My other problem has been having the recording process stop at just over an hr. of recording whether or not I typed in a time such as, lets say 1hr. and 30minutes or just leave it blank and let it run until finished and then manually hit the stop icon. The impression I get from the instructions, it will run timed or untimed to the end assuming I am using discs that will record over 60minutes. What I am using are Memorex DVD-R 16x/4.7GB/120min. discs. Now these may not be the greatest (not realy sure which to use for decent recordings) but aren't they supposed to run beyond 60minutes as they say. What am I missing?

Can anyone give some help that's not so overly technical? Thanks

There really is no such thing as a "120 disc". A standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of video using the best quality. To get 120 minutes of video on the same DVD the video has to be be highly compressed and you lose a lot of quality. If the process stops after 60 minutes then you are capturing at the best quality setting and of course the DVD is full at that point.

Most of us recommend capturing first to the hard drive and then burning the captured video to the DVD.

I would also recommend getting some RW DVDs with which your can experiment.

Read this and then tell us which version you have

It looks like I have the 3rd (current) edition (no service packs?). What would be the purpose/advantage of capturing to my hard drive first and then burning to the dvd disc? What does one do when they are converting over a library of 1 hr. plus movies etc., use more than one disc? The reason for the DVD-RW discs I surmise would be to be able to use discs over and over while experimenting as an economy measure and/or is there another advantage? Sorry for all the questions.

It looks like I have the 3rd (current) edition (no service packs?). What would be the purpose/advantage of capturing to my hard drive first and then burning to the dvd disc? What does one do when they are converting over a library of 1 hr. plus movies etc., use more than one disc? The reason for the DVD-RW discs I surmise would be to be able to use discs over and over while experimenting as an economy measure and/or is there another advantage? Sorry for all the questions.

Don't really know what "the third version" is, they all have a Version or Build NUMBER...

The advantage is if something goes wrong in the last Second of the burn, ALL is wasted!

Had you captured to HDD, you throw away the disc and start another burn with your saved file.

If you have a DL burner, you can use the 8.5 GB discs for those projects that exceed 1 hour but are under 2 hours.

I did over a hundred projects before DL discs were invented. They are on 2 or 3 discs and look great even today.

RW discs are never for permanent burns! The dyes used that allow them to be erased also fade overtime and you lose everything… Can’t beat them for learning and testing ;)

By the way I checked further and I beleive this is the software version "Build 201B23A ENU". Does that look right? In regards to the 8.5 discs you mentioned for 1 to 2 hr plays, if I have a DL player/burner, just what is that versus what I may have? So if I understand this correctly, it's either the 8.5 discs or any thing over 1 hr. play time I will be burning 1 plus discs. Say a 2 hr. movie would require 2 dics!

Thanks

Did some checking and I see DL must stand for Double Layer. However, brings up another question, in checking these 8.5gb discs, they appear to be all +'s and didn't see any -. This may sound pretty ellementary but what is the difference between "+" & "-" in disc designations?

Thanks again

Archived