Bonobo77

Encoding Time On Different Computers

Question

We just purchased a few Mac's.... an iMac 27"w/ Intel i5 and a MacPro w/ 2x 2.4 Xeon Quad-Core processor.

The Encoding time is same on both computers!

Why is the encoding time on both Macs basically the same? We bought the iMac for simple photo editing and printing and the MacPro for encoding and burning DVD's ... and now i am finding both working the same, not good!

My source files are MP4 H.264 10.05Mbit to be burns on a SD DVD (NTSC)

Am I missing a setting to speed up the encoding time on the Mac Pro?

5 answers to this question

I'd expect it to be faster with a faster Mac, too. However, Toast 10 was written to support PPC and Intel Macs, whereas the new Toast 11 is completely rewritten to support only Intel Macs running OS 10.5 and later. It also has Videoboos which takes advantage of recent NVIDIA video cards (which I don't have). But check that link to learn more because your Mac Pro may have that hardware. It seems to me that Toast 11 is what you need when speed is a priority.

I'd expect it to be faster with a faster Mac, too.

Thank you for the quick response... I just need to find out if Roxio will give us a free upgrade. I believe we purchased the 4 licenses just over 60 days ago.

I will continue testing...

Thank you for the quick response... I just need to find out if Roxio will give us a free upgrade. I believe we purchased the 4 licenses just over 60 days ago.

I will continue testing...

Contact their customer service. They have a 30-day refund policy but hopefully you can get some special consideration.

Well, My complaint is the encoding time it takes to complete. either for a DVD with 2 compressed movies or a list of movies which takes about 21 GBs of space. On a Blu Ray disc will take more than 24 hours. DVD, I didn't check but still too long. I recall in earlier versions that it went directly to "WRITE" or is my old age catching up with me.

On one Blu Ray that had about 10 movies with menus it took over a full day, when just about 100% encoding a message showed not enough space etc.etc. and disk will not be used and it's ejected.

I was wondering if there is a third party that will encode faster than Toast or is this a Toast only Plug In?

Well, My complaint is the encoding time it takes to complete. either for a DVD with 2 compressed movies or a list of movies which takes about 21 GBs of space. On a Blu Ray disc will take more than 24 hours. DVD, I didn't check but still too long. I recall in earlier versions that it went directly to "WRITE" or is my old age catching up with me.

On one Blu Ray that had about 10 movies with menus it took over a full day, when just about 100% encoding a message showed not enough space etc.etc. and disk will not be used and it's ejected.

I was wondering if there is a third party that will encode faster than Toast or is this a Toast only Plug In?

The encoding time can vary based on the specs of the source video and what the specs need to become for the desired disc (and, of course, the computer's speed and RAM). My understanding is you are creating Blu-ray discs so the source video is high definition. If it is a format that already meets the Blu-ray specs then selecting Never Re-encode in the custom encoder settings window can skip the encoding stage and what you'll see instead is "multiplexing". However, Toast can still decide it needs to encode video even if Never re-encode is selected. But it's worth the try. Also, in the custom encoder settings window choose MPEG 4 or MPEG 2 depending on if the source video is one or the other (H.264 is MPEG 4).

If you are making a standard-definition video DVD from a HD video source encoding takes extra time because Toast is rescaling the video to a smaller size. I don't know if it would speed things up if you used Toast or a different application to create a rescaled h.264 file before having Toast encode it to MPEG 2 for video DVD.

Whenever encoding is likely to take some time, choose Save as Disc Image instead of clicking the burn button. This reduces the chance that Toast will fail at the time the encoding is complete and the disc burning begins. After saving the disc image burn it to disc using the Image File setting in the Copy window.