No revue

drufus2002

Question

When creating a slideshow, in MyDVD, revueing a slideshow sometimes works, and sometimes presents me with a black screen. I have nothing else running (ran enditall and got rid of EVERYTHING). If I have inserted audio I can hear it - but no pictures show. I can then get all the way out, and then run the program again, and I may, or may not, be able to revue a slide show. Sometimes I will do this and the menu will be black as well as any slide shows (just black boxes).

I have also noticed that the length of the show against the DVD limit also does not seem to be properly incrementing. I have no idea what is going on.

I have 1gb of memory which, I think, should be enough. I have also noticed that if I try and, for instance, check on the task manager that there is a very good chance I will freeze up the machine.

Any thoughts?

11 answers to this question

I always burn to video folder only. That way I can test the files by playing it back with PowerDVD or other DVD software. There have be a couple of times where the menu did not render as expected. NO clue why, but I just turned around and reburned. The second time it worked fine. This has only happened to me 2 or 3 times since EMC8 was released.

I have been looking over the problems folks are having. I suspect that 90% of the problems have to do with the time the program takes which, in turn, makes folks believe their system has crashed. With no advisories nobody has a basic clue just how long stuff takes. If, for instance, I want to split and delete a section of audio that little procedure will take a minimum of 5/10 minutes for each split and another 10 minutes to delete the marked section. I can go on and on about this one (and have). Its just so incredibly frustrating! Its really pretty trivial to set a little chunk of memory aside and then monitor progress, and report same. If the programmers did this I suspect that whines would drop by, at least, 75% It has taken me about a week of my life to understand just how this is working.

I also suspect that the writing thing is due to memory use too. Somebody should also insert a little routine to check usage and do something about it. I know - its just that I am really expert in wishful thinkikng (and no a whole lot else if my wife is to be believed).

Outputting from the wizard to mpeg and then loading the mpeg file into Videowave is a bad idea, I think, since when creating the mpeg the image data gets highly compressed and when you finally burn to DVD the video may get compressed again. With each compression cycle you lose quality. The best way to create a slideshow is to avoid the wizard and start with Videowave, you have much more control over everything.

No matter which method you use, both will create a video as the final product.

GOOD Thinking! Thank you................

GOOD Thinking! Thank you................

I should add a couple of thoughts. I could not find a place, in the roxio site for suggestions so I will plug a couple in here (they may already exist and I just haven't found them yet).

The first is the insertion of transitions in videowave. It would be nice if one could insert a transition theme into selected pictures. Right now I have to insert a theme, time after time, everytime I insert another group of pictures. This takes a LOT of time.

This brings me to the second suggestion/whine. When roxio software is doing something there is no notifier telling the user that it is doing something. What happens is that the computer simply hangs (using all the cpu space) and the user has no clue. I have been reduced to going to the windows task manager and leaving the process window open, clicking on cpu and watching it to see when the program is done thrashing. One can also simply bring it up and watch the little green window in the desktop task manager (lower right hand of screen) and make sure it goes to dim green before doing something. It would be much nicer if there was a simple advisory telling me that its doing something and to leave stuff alone. If one does not leave stuff alone, and the program is using up all the cpu space windows will, eventually, lose its way and crash.

Video work is very CPU intensive and it is best not to be running other applications at the same time. In fact many of us even shut down the internet, anti-virus checking and other applications. What you consider hanging is mostly the program working on the video.

I use "End it All" and shut down ALL programs (including network access, firewall, etc). My whine has to do with videowave itself. If its doing something it should tell the user that it is working, otherwise the user has no clue. Sometimes it will be doing something that does not need the disk for, so the disk light tells the user nothing. The only other signal is from the task manager which will tell you that the program is using the cpu. Somebody, who doesn't understand the program might be working, and their machine seems hung, might start hitting keys (my wife tends to do this). When this happens the cpu gets completely overloaded and the machine hangs for real. My thought is that they might throw an advisory, up on the screen, telling the user that it is doing something and be patient. If I do not do this, in my own software, I catch bloody hell from users.

Just a thought............

Now, here is another one. I built up a slideshow, in VideoWave, and then told it to burn it. It did its whizzing and whirring. When I got back there was an error telling me that it had trouble dealing with the menu. I had set it up to both burn a dvd and build an .iso file. The DVD was unusable. I then burned the .iso file to another DVD. Guess what? The DVD, burned from the .iso file worked! (but did not have a menu). I thought that was a little strange. I have had that problem with a menu before and suspect there may be a secret.

I should add a couple of thoughts. I could not find a place, in the roxio site for suggestions so I will plug a couple in here (they may already exist and I just haven't found them yet).

The first is the insertion of transitions in videowave. It would be nice if one could insert a transition theme into selected pictures. Right now I have to insert a theme, time after time, everytime I insert another group of pictures. This takes a LOT of time.

This brings me to the second suggestion/whine. When roxio software is doing something there is no notifier telling the user that it is doing something. What happens is that the computer simply hangs (using all the cpu space) and the user has no clue. I have been reduced to going to the windows task manager and leaving the process window open, clicking on cpu and watching it to see when the program is done thrashing. One can also simply bring it up and watch the little green window in the desktop task manager (lower right hand of screen) and make sure it goes to dim green before doing something. It would be much nicer if there was a simple advisory telling me that its doing something and to leave stuff alone. If one does not leave stuff alone, and the program is using up all the cpu space windows will, eventually, lose its way and crash.

Video work is very CPU intensive and it is best not to be running other applications at the same time. In fact many of us even shut down the internet, anti-virus checking and other applications. What you consider hanging is mostly the program working on the video.

I always burn to video folder only. That way I can test the files by playing it back with PowerDVD or other DVD software. There have be a couple of times where the menu did not render as expected. NO clue why, but I just turned around and reburned. The second time it worked fine. This has only happened to me 2 or 3 times since EMC8 was released.

When creating a slideshow, in MyDVD, revueing a slideshow sometimes works, and sometimes presents me with a black screen. I have nothing else running (ran enditall and got rid of EVERYTHING). If I have inserted audio I can hear it - but no pictures show. I can then get all the way out, and then run the program again, and I may, or may not, be able to revue a slide show. Sometimes I will do this and the menu will be black as well as any slide shows (just black boxes). I have also noticed that the length of the show against the DVD limit also does not seem to be properly incrementing. I have no idea what is going on. I have 1gb of memory which, I think, should be enough. I have also noticed that if I try and, for instance, check on the task manager that there is a very good chance I will freeze up the machine.

Any thoughts?

Yes, most visual problems are caused by not having an acceptable video card and is most seen with on-board video chips. Please post your computer specs especially your video information (you can use Belarc Adviser if you don't know"). In any case, update the drivers for your video set-up.

By the way, is is best to do your slide shows in VideoWave; more options and less trouble than MyDVD for slide shows. In VideoWave or MyDVD, go to Tools>Options and run the test. My guess it that the little dot will stay with software (don't move it to hardware.). The program will run but slightly sower and you will not have all of the transitions available. If the dot is at hardware, move it to software and try again.

In addition to the drivers, make sure that you have the latest version of DirectX 9©.

Yes, most visual problems are caused by not having an acceptable video card and is most seen with on-board video chips. Please post your computer specs especially your video information (you can use Belarc Adviser if you don't know"). In any case, update the drivers for your video set-up.

By the way, is is best to do your slide shows in VideoWave; more options and less trouble than MyDVD for slide shows. In VideoWave or MyDVD, go to Tools>Options and run the test. My guess it that the little dot will stay with software (don't move it to hardware.). The program will run but slightly sower and you will not have all of the transitions available. If the dot is at hardware, move it to software and try again.

In addition to the drivers, make sure that you have the latest version of DirectX 9©.

Thank you for the reply. I continue to learn this program and find things. I did run the test. The little dot was in the hardware column. I assume that if the test completes everything is ok? (it did - hardware) I have noticed that folks are putting their systems in, I think, the signature so I too have done that with this system. Hopefully that will help in my quest.

I also, finally, noticed that one can go to videowave from the slideshow wizard. I have also noticed that I can created a slideshow, with the wizard and then save it to an mpeg file. I have long maintained that the problem with computers is not that they are so complicated but that one can do something 50 different ways and therein lies the problem (been at it a while).

Anyway, If I go directly to videowave, stick in the photos for a slideshow there are questions. I assume, if I do that, that means that videowave will simply create a video of those photos and play them as a video. I could also use slideshow wizard to create a slideshow, with the fancy stuff, and THEN export to an mpeg file which I could then bring into videowave. This would allow me to better breakup a slideshow into manageable parts?

Any thoughts are of value - thanks again for the reply.

Thank you for the reply. I continue to learn this program and find things. I did run the test. The little dot was in the hardware column. I assume that if the test completes everything is ok? (it did - hardware) I have noticed that folks are putting their systems in, I think, the signature so I too have done that with this system. Hopefully that will help in my quest.

I also, finally, noticed that one can go to videowave from the slideshow wizard. I have also noticed that I can created a slideshow, with the wizard and then save it to an mpeg file. I have long maintained that the problem with computers is not that they are so complicated but that one can do something 50 different ways and therein lies the problem (been at it a while).

Anyway, If I go directly to videowave, stick in the photos for a slideshow there are questions. I assume, if I do that, that means that videowave will simply create a video of those photos and play them as a video. I could also use slideshow wizard to create a slideshow, with the fancy stuff, and THEN export to an mpeg file which I could then bring into videowave. This would allow me to better breakup a slideshow into manageable parts?

No, VideoWave does not create a video. It creates a production of instructions to tell MyDVD what to do with the production to create a DVD video.

Use VideoWave to create your production, which can include adding text, adding motion, adding music, and a multitude of other things. Once you are done creating your production, save it. It will be saved as a .dmsm file. Close out of VideoWave then, then open MyDVD, browse for your .dmsm production, add a menu, background picture etc., then burn it to an ISO file. You then open Disc Copier, browse for that ISO file, then Disc Copier burns it to a DVD as a movie.

Outputting from the wizard to mpeg and then loading the mpeg file into Videowave is a bad idea, I think, since when creating the mpeg the image data gets highly compressed and when you finally burn to DVD the video may get compressed again. With each compression cycle you lose quality. The best way to create a slideshow is to avoid the wizard and start with Videowave, you have much more control over everything.

No matter which method you use, both will create a video as the final product.

Archived