What To Buy? Is Toast 11 A True Superset Of Popcorn 4?

fkuebler

Question

I want to buy either Popcorn 4 or Toast 11. My main usage will be the conversion of video files, mainly 1080i AVCHD footage, for playback on other devices, mainly but not only iPad and iPhone. Critical for me is conversion flexibility, i.e. the capability to define as many output resolutions as possible, as many compression levels as possible, and comfortable batch conversion capabilities.

So at first glance Popcorn 4 appears to be the product of choice. However, if Toast 11 is a true superset, i.e. 100% everything I can do with Popcorn 4 I can do with Toast 11 as well, then I would want to invest in Toast 11.

My superset assumption seemed reasonable looking at Popcorn 4's appearance on the market already in 2009 compared to Toast 11's recent appearance in 2011.

But I was irritated by noticing in the Popcorn 4 description, that it can crop and merge AVCHD and AVCDH lite footage, while this is not mentioned with Toast 11.

I would be grateful if someone knowledgeable with the products takes the time to drop me a note here. If possible today, because I want to start my work asap. Thanks.

2 answers to this question

Get Toast 11. Popcorn 4 has nothing better than Toast 11 except the simplicity of having fewer options. You mention cropping and merging AVCHD video in Popcorn. I know you can trim out segments but I see no way to crop or join videos in Popcorn. Toast has a "Merge clips" option that is not present in Popcorn. Toast also has an improved editor for trimming the segments you want to include.

Popcorn 4 might be a better choice for you compared with Toast 10, but not when compared to Toast 11.

Get Toast 11. Popcorn 4 has nothing better than Toast 11 except the simplicity of having fewer options.

Popcorn 4 might be a better choice for you compared with Toast 10, but not when compared to Toast 11.

Thanks a lot for your quick and clear answer.

I'll purchase Toast 11 right away :)

Archived