• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Converting 60Gb Quicktime File In Toast 10 To Smallest File Without Losing Quality

gon4myn

Question

Hello everyone!!! I have a 60gb quicktime video file and I want to host it on my website but would like to make it the smallest file without losing any quality. Can you please help me with what settings to put? There are alot of choices in Toast 10 and I don't know much about this software and converting? Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Taylor

2 answers to this question

60 GB is a lot, but it tells very little about the file.

What is the duration of the movie file? You may want to think about splitting it up if it is very long, and its content allow for chaptering. Viewers may appreciate such a setup, as they can easily view it in several sessions, or pick the segments that they are most interested in.

What is the frame size (width x height) of the movie? HD 1920x1080? HD 1440x1080? HD 1280x720? SD 720x480? SD 720x576? Other? Website viewers may appreciate a smaller frame size, as such is more friendly (less demanding) on their CPU. You can't expect every website visitor to have a relatively new computer and high bandwidth broadband to support HD video on a website.

That being said, the best compression of quality per file size at the moment is given by H.264 video (with AAC audio). This is usually done in an MP4 container file, which also happens to be Flash video friendly (like YouTube), for easy embedding in webpages.

After selecting the H.264 conversion option, you may select additional parameters, such as frame size, bitrate and framerate. Note that the optimal bitrate is a function of frame size, framerate and video codec, and that the bitrate determines the file size. That is, all the parameters are interconnected and that is before content is considered (fast movement vs. talking head; concert instruments vs. street voices).

As an example, I expect good results for H.264, 810 kbps, 640x360, 29.97 fps.

60 GB is a lot, but it tells very little about the file.

What is the duration of the movie file? You may want to think about splitting it up if it is very long, and its content allow for chaptering. Viewers may appreciate such a setup, as they can easily view it in several sessions, or pick the segments that they are most interested in.

What is the frame size (width x height) of the movie? HD 1920x1080? HD 1440x1080? HD 1280x720? SD 720x480? SD 720x576? Other? Website viewers may appreciate a smaller frame size, as such is more friendly (less demanding) on their CPU. You can't expect every website visitor to have a relatively new computer and high bandwidth broadband to support HD video on a website.

That being said, the best compression of quality per file size at the moment is given by H.264 video (with AAC audio). This is usually done in an MP4 container file, which also happens to be Flash video friendly (like YouTube), for easy embedding in webpages.

After selecting the H.264 conversion option, you may select additional parameters, such as frame size, bitrate and framerate. Note that the optimal bitrate is a function of frame size, framerate and video codec, and that the bitrate determines the file size. That is, all the parameters are interconnected and that is before content is considered (fast movement vs. talking head; concert instruments vs. street voices).

As an example, I expect good results for H.264, 810 kbps, 640x360, 29.97 fps.

Thanks so much for helping me out!! I tried the settings but did not get very good results. I used divx converter to make it an avi and it was 1.3gb and great quality so Im going to go with the avi. The toast bounce was still grainy. Thanks again for the info.