Recorder Speed

GrayFox72

Question

Using Creator 11, I wish to copy an ISO file from HD to BR-R DVD. My blank discs are Verbatim LTH rated 2X and WinData rated 1-4X. Using the Burn DIsc Image (copy ISO file to recorder drive), the OPTION Dropdown ADVANCED has speed "choices": CD, DVD and BD. Both CD and DVD have a few numeric selections as well as MAX. But for BD only MAX is a choice. I would like to make sure that the copy does NOT exceed the manufacturer's specifications (In a test run on Windata, the actual speed reported varied from 1.90X to 8.0X, which was considerably higher than spec). I have reported this as a problem. Has anyone found a solution to this issue?

Edited by GrayFox72

8 answers to this question

There is no such thing as a "BD-R DVD"... it is either a BD-R or BD-RE. A "DVD" is a completly different disc as is a CD.

The variable speed of burn is a non-issue. No one has ever reported a problem with the burn speed of a BD disc. However, LTH discs are simply not compatible with all Players. :huh:

I have 3 Players, and the LTH discs, simply will not play in One of them :(

Have you actually had any problem with burning???

If you really have to set the speed, you must have the media present in the drive in order for it to read the media to know what speed is allowed:

post-39730-085802300 1301997998.jpg

post-39730-003317000 1301998001.jpg

I would like to make sure that the copy does NOT exceed the manufacturer's specifications

Just an observation, but I've never known of any software that can make hardware go faster than it's built to go. Otherwise, I'm sure I would have kept my old 12X CD-R drive and let the software make it run at 24X! ;) (Or faster, and maybe even make it so it could burn DVDs!)

Now, the speed fluctuations you saw may just be buffering speeds, as in, the speed data was fed into the buffer of the burner, which could indeed go faster than the drive could physically write to the disc, but I'm fairly confident the drive never actually burned the data faster than it's built for.

Edited by d_deweywright
(add more sarcasm)

There is no such thing as a "BD-R DVD".Correct I should have said Disc.

Have you actually had any problem with burning???YES with Windata particulary. Have to reduce from 4x to 2x to get a good burn. These are made in China and cost a lot less than Verbatim.

If you really have to set the speed, you must have the media present in the drive in order for it to read the media to know what speed is allowed.

You are truly a Digital Guru! I must have not had the media read yet as the Advance function now works with various choices! Many thanks. I guess that's why my label is NEWBIE!

Edited by GrayFox72

Just an observation, but I've never known of any software that can make hardware go faster than it's built to go....I'm fairly confident the drive never actually burned the data faster than it's built for.

I am trying to get the drive to go SLOWER than what Roxio was picking:MAX. Tha meant tha some of my discs were writing at as much as 8x when they a labeled as 1-4X. I then got an unreadable coaster.

But thanks for thinkin of me here. Everything helps the NEWBIE.. (Age 72).

Have you actually had any problem with burning???YES with Windata particulary. Have to reduce from 4x to 2x to get a good burn. These are made in China and cost a lot less than Verbatim.

It does not pay to get junk DVDs like WinData. They are cheap for a reason. You can easily pick up 100 spindles of Verbatims for $20 or less when on sale. Anything cheaper you might as well throw in the garbage as soon as you leave the store.

I agree with Walt, NOTHING is cheaper than Quality Media such as Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden ;) (the TY is mail order only)

Roxio reports Actual speed! As Dave mentioned, it may be the speed that the Buffer is being used at… At any case the vast majority of software, only show the speed you Set and not what is actually taking place :o

Either way, you have a couple of solutions to choose from. Pop in anytime ;)

It's a game drive makers are playing with over-speeding media.

It has nothing to do with a buffer.

Point me to where I can buy Verbatim DVD - + R media over 16x rated speed?

Point me to where I can buy Verbatim BD-R media over 6x rated speed?

Verbatim is farming out media to Moser Baer India, look at the package, made in India.

I would recommend burning your media at it's rated speed or under.

Verbatim DVD + R 16x rated speed.

post-97-036815600 1302093992.jpg

Verbatim BD-R 4x rated speed.

post-97-044425500 1302093996.jpg

I let Roxio burn it at max.

post-97-013588900 1302094606.jpg