Sign in to follow this  
blurijj

Problem With Source Material

Question

I have EyeTVHD .

I also have Toast 10.

With EyeTVHD I have encoded an HD tv show into h.264 AND Toast video formats.

Toast 10 will not encode and burn either video format.

I get a Toast message box saying there is a problem with the source material.

I also get the same message when trying to burn it as a disc image.

Toast has not even gotten to the burn/write stage when this message pops up.

My clean disk is ejected.

How can I burn HD video in HD resolution ?

I was using a DVD-DL disk and selecting the Blu-Ray option in Toast 10.

if I purchased Turbo264 HD - does it encode with better compatibility with Toast 10?

And what about Toast 11 ? Is any elgato product compatible with Toast 11?

Any other way to burn HD without Toast without buying a $2000 software package?

Thank you very much.

7 answers to this question

Hmmm. Very strange. You should also raise this in the appropriate forum at El Gato's forums. Toast shouldn't be having any issue with the videos recorded by the EyeTV HD. There also shouldn't be any difference between those and what you get using a Turbo 264 HD so buying one of those seems superfluous.

I don't have an EyeTV HD so I can't do any comparisons. What steps are you taking to add the videos to the Toast window. Can you add them using the EyeTV setting in the Toast Media Browser's video section? Do the videos play fine on the Mac using the EyeTV software or is there any stuttering?

Hmmm. Very strange. You should also raise this in the appropriate forum at El Gato's forums. Toast shouldn't be having any issue with the videos recorded by the EyeTV HD. There also shouldn't be any difference between those and what you get using a Turbo 264 HD so buying one of those seems superfluous.

I don't have an EyeTV HD so I can't do any comparisons. What steps are you taking to add the videos to the Toast window. Can you add them using the EyeTV setting in the Toast Media Browser's video section? Do the videos play fine on the Mac using the EyeTV software or is there any stuttering?

Hi Tsantee,

Thanks for taking an interest in this.

I got a response from an EyeTV tech guy. He said if the h264 encoded videos play by themselves it should not be a problem with the 'source material'. It is a Toast problem.

The videos do play without stuttering in Real Player and Quicktime but they do stutter with VLC.

All I do is slide the h264 encoded videos onto the Toast menu - and select Blu-Ray. I don't make any other custom option changes.

Will Toast 11 give me any better options? When encoding to Toast in my present EyeTV would the Toast 11 still recognize it?

Are there any other programs beside Toast that can burn HD video recordings ? Getting pretty frustrated with Toast.

*** One more thing - I tried encoding the h264 finished EyeTV recording ( an mp4 format ) and ran it through Handbrake (high profile selected) - which came out as an m4v video format.

Interestingly, Toast burned it - it took over 12 hours - but Toast burned it ok - but it would not play on the PS3. Nor of course does it play on my Mac.

What is the difference between mp4 and m4v anyway? Both play on my mac and I can't tell much difference in video quality but the m4v only takes 2GB (1906 x 1072 dimensions )

and the mp4 same video takes 6.64Gb at 1920x1080 dimensions.

Not sure what you mean by - "Can you add them using the EyeTV setting in the Toast Media Browser's video section?"

I have encoded with the Toast option in EyeTV and added it to the Toast main window for burning with Blu-Ray checked. Toast takes it but then rejects it after a while with the faulty

source material message.

What exactly is the Toast Media Browser video section ?

thanks again

Hi Tsantee,

Thanks for taking an interest in this.

I got a response from an EyeTV tech guy. He said if the h264 encoded videos play by themselves it should not be a problem with the 'source material'. It is a Toast problem.

The videos do play without stuttering in Real Player and Quicktime but they do stutter with VLC.

All I do is slide the h264 encoded videos onto the Toast menu - and select Blu-Ray. I don't make any other custom option changes.

Will Toast 11 give me any better options? When encoding to Toast in my present EyeTV would the Toast 11 still recognize it?

Are there any other programs beside Toast that can burn HD video recordings ? Getting pretty frustrated with Toast.

*** One more thing - I tried encoding the h264 finished EyeTV recording ( an mp4 format ) and ran it through Handbrake (high profile selected) - which came out as an m4v video format.

Interestingly, Toast burned it - it took over 12 hours - but Toast burned it ok - but it would not play on the PS3. Nor of course does it play on my Mac.

What is the difference between mp4 and m4v anyway? Both play on my mac and I can't tell much difference in video quality but the m4v only takes 2GB (1906 x 1072 dimensions )

and the mp4 same video takes 6.64Gb at 1920x1080 dimensions.

Not sure what you mean by - "Can you add them using the EyeTV setting in the Toast Media Browser's video section?"

I have encoded with the Toast option in EyeTV and added it to the Toast main window for burning with Blu-Ray checked. Toast takes it but then rejects it after a while with the faulty

source material message.

What exactly is the Toast Media Browser video section ?

thanks again

Starting at the end, I got the Toast 11 and 10 media browser's confused. The Toast 10 media browser is a separate window. If you don't see it choose Show Media Browser from the Windows menu. Click the top button and you may see EyeTV as one of the options. When that is selected you may see the list of programs recorded by your EyeTV HD. Select the one(s) you want and either click the + button or drag them to the main window. I don't know if adding them this way will make a difference.

The stuttering when playing with VLC may be due to your Mac's graphics card rather than the video. A 1080p video takes a lot of graphics power to play without stuttering. Reducing the size it displays on the screen may correct the problem.

The .m2v should be a video-only file with no audio. That 1906 x 1072 resolution is bizarre and not desirable in my opinion.

When Toast is making the Blu-ray disc is it "encoding" or "multiplexing"? It probably can just do multiplexing which takes only few minutes rather than many hours. Go to the Custom encoder settings and choose MPEG 4 as the format rather than MPEG 2 and select Never next to Re-encoding. That should trigger the multiplexing if it isn't doing that already.

As for the faulty source material, this could happen if there is any dropped frames during the writing of the source video. A video player can skip past these problems but a video encoder works on every frame. So what looks fine may have a small but critical flaw. Make certain your Mac isn't doing other things while it is capturing the video from the EyeTV HD. Maybe even turn off Time Machine if you're using it. Then see if any captured programs can make it with Toast. Choose Save as Disc Image so you don't waste any discs. The disc image is burned to disc using the Image File setting in the Copy window.

As for upgrading to Toast 11 I of course recommend that. But I don't think it will be different regarding the problem you're experiencing.

Edited by tsantee

Starting at the end, I got the Toast 11 and 10 media browser's confused. The Toast 10 media browser is a separate window. If you don't see it choose Show Media Browser from the Windows menu. Click the top button and you may see EyeTV as one of the options. When that is selected you may see the list of programs recorded by your EyeTV HD. Select the one(s) you want and either click the + button or drag them to the main window. I don't know if adding them this way will make a difference.

The stuttering when playing with VLC may be due to your Mac's graphics card rather than the video. A 1080p video takes a lot of graphics power to play without stuttering. Reducing the size it displays on the screen may correct the problem.

The .m2v should be a video-only file with no audio. That 1906 x 1072 resolution is bizarre and not desirable in my opinion.

When Toast is making the Blu-ray disc is it "encoding" or "multiplexing"? It probably can just do multiplexing which takes only few minutes rather than many hours. Go to the Custom encoder settings and choose MPEG 4 as the format rather than MPEG 2 and select Never next to Re-encoding. That should trigger the multiplexing if it isn't doing that already.

As for the faulty source material, this could happen if there is any dropped frames during the writing of the source video. A video player can skip past these problems but a video encoder works on every frame. So what looks fine may have a small but critical flaw. Make certain your Mac isn't doing other things while it is capturing the video from the EyeTV HD. Maybe even turn off Time Machine if you're using it. Then see if any captured programs can make it with Toast. Choose Save as Disc Image so you don't waste any discs. The disc image is burned to disc using the Image File setting in the Copy window.

As for upgrading to Toast 11 I of course recommend that. But I don't think it will be different regarding the problem you're experiencing.

All your detailed suggestions are much appreciated.

After following your steps - this is what I get - using Toast 10

1) I can go to custom encoder and set it to Never Encode BUT I cannot choose MPEG4 because the only option is MPEG2 ( there are no others )

2) Even after setting the option to Never Encode - Toast still goes into encode mode. I have never seen it say multiplexing all the time I've had this program.

I guess it reverts to encoding because it is working with a mp4 file and the only Toast option is MPEG2.

Handbrake converted the mp4 to a m4v file ( not a m2v like you mentioned ) It does have audio. Toast burned the m4v file, but the blu-ray formatted disk will not play on PS3.

I notice that EyeTV has Quicktime encoding options such as h.264 mpeg4 and HDV1080i - how does Toast handle these options if you know ?

How does Quicktime h.264 differ from the other eyetv h.264 I am using now?

Does choosing Mpeg4 as an encoding option if it were available to me degrade the resolution any in the final product ?

thank you much Tsantee

Edited by tsantee
Fixed quote formatting

All your detailed suggestions are much appreciated.

After following your steps - this is what I get - using Toast 10

1) I can go to custom encoder and set it to Never Encode BUT I cannot choose MPEG4 because the only option is MPEG2 ( there are no others )

2) Even after setting the option to Never Encode - Toast still goes into encode mode. I have never seen it say multiplexing all the time I've had this program.

I guess it reverts to encoding because it is working with a mp4 file and the only Toast option is MPEG2.

Handbrake converted the mp4 to a m4v file ( not a m2v like you mentioned ) It does have audio. Toast burned the m4v file, but the blu-ray formatted disk will not play on PS3.

I notice that EyeTV has Quicktime encoding options such as h.264 mpeg4 and HDV1080i - how does Toast handle these options if you know ?

How does Quicktime h.264 differ from the other eyetv h.264 I am using now?

Does choosing Mpeg4 as an encoding option if it were available to me degrade the resolution any in the final product ?

thank you much Tsantee

With the Blu-ray plugin installed and Blu-ray selected as the format in the Video window, the custom encoder window changes the MPEG 2 setting into a button where you can select MPEG-4 AVC as the format. If you're not seeing that, go to Toast Preferences and see if "Show Blu-ray Video Projects" is checked. If you're still not seeing that then run the Blu-ray plugin installer again. That option should be there.

There are various resolutions and frame rates that meet the Blu-ray spec. With the EyeTV HD set to encode at H.264, 1920x1080i and 29.97 fps then it should be in compliance and not need encoding by Toast. I'm pretty sure that is the default for the EyeTV HD. You also might want to do a test at 1280x720P, 59.94 fps.

As for the encoding options, h.264 is a high-quality version of mpeg4, the mpeg4 option uses a different codec that makes it more compatible with older players, and HDV1080i is a less-compressed format ideal for editing that has the drawback of very large file sizes. Stay with h.264 for your purpose.

Edited by tsantee

I got the "problem with the source material" error when trying to burn an iMovie Project that I'd published to the Media Browser. The project contained clips from my Canon Vixia HFR10 camcorder and from my Sony Cybershot camera. Previously, I have created three similar projects with the same source material and Toast 10 successfully burned the projects to Verbatim dual-layered discs. The burn time, including encoding and multiplexing, did take several hours, but mostly there were no issues except one DVD froze several times, but re-burning solved that.

As a test, I created a new iMovie project using random clips from the events that were used for the project that wouldn't burn. I used clips from both cameras, and published the project to Media Browser. Toast burned the project without a problem. The project that wouldn't burn was shorter in length than the projects that did burn successfully.

Any ideas?

I got the "problem with the source material" error when trying to burn an iMovie Project that I'd published to the Media Browser. The project contained clips from my Canon Vixia HFR10 camcorder and from my Sony Cybershot camera. Previously, I have created three similar projects with the same source material and Toast 10 successfully burned the projects to Verbatim dual-layered discs. The burn time, including encoding and multiplexing, did take several hours, but mostly there were no issues except one DVD froze several times, but re-burning solved that.

As a test, I created a new iMovie project using random clips from the events that were used for the project that wouldn't burn. I used clips from both cameras, and published the project to Media Browser. Toast burned the project without a problem. The project that wouldn't burn was shorter in length than the projects that did burn successfully.

Any ideas?

Sorry, no ideas. You obviously know the correct way to do this so it is a mystery to both of us. You could Share it from iMovie as a QuickTime movie to see if that works with Toast instead.