Copressed feature doesnt work

Laser

Question

Hello,

I just purchased Toast Titanium 7 for the compression feature.

I have several files that need to be compressed onto 1 DVD (4.7 GB)

the files are different sizes. 6.7 GB, 8.3 GB, etc.

The main advertising feature about Toast was its ability to compress large file sizes down onto a single 4.7 DVD.

When I click on compressed and try to burn, I keep getting a "not enough room" message.

It doesnt compress it.

I'm running a G-5 Mac 2.0 dual single core processor with 2gb of ram on system 10.4.7

Can anyone tell me why this feature doesnt work?

Thanks

6 answers to this question

I'm having a similar problem.

Roxio, it'd be nice to add a "Shrink to fit" option that automatically squeezes "slightly over" files onto a dual layer DVD. An algorithm that compresses sound, then video quality (perhaps at the user's discretion?) that would tweak sound/vid resolution in the most minimal way to squeeze the data onto a disc. Perhaps have a limit (only works if data is <120% of normal amount?). With an alert telling user that there IS no Santa Claus, and that yes, you'll be losing quality if you go ahead. Manually tweaking the settings is formidable for many.

Okay, my problem. I have a single avi file (a lecture) that's 5.09GB (116% of 4.38GB). Using standard settings.

When I slide the video quality bar to Good, it doesn't impact whether it fits on the disc (?!).

Roxio, it'd be nice if the slider bar (if it worked :)) had more graduated settings instead of 3. The idea is that I'd be able to slide the bar until just enough loss has happened to make my data fit on a disc. And it'd also be nice to have a Prefs item to assign a ratio to how much of the loss I want to come out of the audio vs video.

Video is @ 4.0Mbps (8.0 Mbps max), and audio is Dolby Digital 192 kbps.

Seems ideal for tweaking the settings, yet the automatic slide bar doesn't seem to impact capacity, and I'm wondering which Custom settings I should tweak, in what order, to make it fit while losing the most minimal amount.

Thanks!

Trai

What kind of files are you trying to compress? What settings are you using in Toast?

Toast can compress the video from a dual-layer video DVD to fit on a single-layer DVD, but it doesn't sound like that is what you are trying to do.

What kind of files are you trying to compress? What settings are you using in Toast?

Toast can compress the video from a dual-layer video DVD to fit on a single-layer DVD, but it doesn't sound like that is what you are trying to do.

I am dragging a folder into the Data Sector. The folder contains a completed iDVD project, the .img compressed file and the original iMovie file. When I click on Compressed feature, I keep getting a "not enough room" message.

Thanks

The way to do this is to select the .img file using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window. There you'll be given the options to Fit-to-DVD. However, iDVD only has uncompressed PCM audio which takes up a lot of space on a disc. Toast can only compress the video portion and not the audio. With dual-layer iDVD image files it is possible that Toast cannot compress the video portion small enough to still have room on a single-layer disc along with the uncompressed audio. I think it'll work with that 6 GB image file but I know it won't work with the 8 GB image file.

If the iDVD menus are essential to you then you may be stuck with having to burn to dual-layer media. If those menus aren't essential then you could use Toast to encode and author the video DVD using AC-3 audio and fit that to a single-layer disc.

The way to do this is to select the .img file using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window. There you'll be given the options to Fit-to-DVD. However, iDVD only has uncompressed PCM audio which takes up a lot of space on a disc. Toast can only compress the video portion and not the audio. With dual-layer iDVD image files it is possible that Toast cannot compress the video portion small enough to still have room on a single-layer disc along with the uncompressed audio. I think it'll work with that 6 GB image file but I know it won't work with the 8 GB image file.

If the iDVD menus are essential to you then you may be stuck with having to burn to dual-layer media. If those menus aren't essential then you could use Toast to encode and author the video DVD using AC-3 audio and fit that to a single-layer disc.

Thanks. I wasn't trying to burn a DVD movie. I was trying to backup a FOLDER that contained an iMovie file, a iDVD project, and a disk image (.img) of the iDVD project/ which totaled about 7 GB.

I dragged the folder into the Data Column in Toast and selected the compressed feature in order to burn all the info to a single layer DVD 4.7 disk.

Which is what I thought Toast advertised their software would do. I could have easily purchased dual-layer media, but I was under the impression it wouldnt be necessary if Toast compressed the information.

Thanks. I wasn't trying to burn a DVD movie. I was trying to backup a FOLDER that contained an iMovie file, a iDVD project, and a disk image (.img) of the iDVD project/ which totaled about 7 GB.

I dragged the folder into the Data Column in Toast and selected the compressed feature in order to burn all the info to a single layer DVD 4.7 disk.

Which is what I thought Toast advertised their software would do. I could have easily purchased dual-layer media, but I was under the impression it wouldnt be necessary if Toast compressed the information.

I understand now. There is very little content in your files that can be compressed. Disc Images cannot be compressed and video cannot be compressed without affecting quality. The DV video you probably have in your iMovie already is already a compressed format. Text files can be greatly compressed but I doubt if there are many of those present. Roxio's claim for fitting videos to single-layer media is limited to "requantizing" the MPEG-2 compression that exists in existing dual-layer video DVDs so the encoding bit rate is lesser and takes up less space. As you've seen, there also is a compression option in the Data window but that is similar to using the Archive option in the Finder or using Stuffit. Some things can be compressed a lot and some little or none at all.

What you can do instead of buying a dual-layer disc is use Toast's disc spanning feature to burn the files across multiple single-layer DVDs. This is excellent for backing up large files. Choose Mac Only as the format in the Data window and you'll see that the disc spanning becomes activated. You can click Compression if you like but with the files you are trying to back up there won't be much compression. Toast burns a file to the disc that is used for putting the split content back together when you want to restore the files to the hard drive.

Archived