• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Tentacled And Not Enjoying It!

Tentacled

I have Roxio "tentacles" in my PC's Add or Remove Programs which I cannot remove regardless of the instructions I am given by Roxio Agents in Customer Support or by others in Google. Does anyone have any magic formulas for effectiveness? Can anyone recommend a particular $39 software that promises to unistall Roxio "tentacles" and other unwanted software?

Probably and it would be free if you tell us what Roxio Software you need to rid yourself of. :unsure:

Thanks for asking. Below is the text from the last message I sent to Roxio in reply to an Agent's reply to a previous, though similar, message. Please understand that I have done everything possible following Roxio's instructions. I have gotten rid of Roxio and Sonic folders in HKEY_CURRENT_USER & HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and yesterday a Microsoft tech took control of my PC to deal with a virus and I asked the tech to try to remove the Roxio tentacles and after failing to do so told me to contact Roxio which I had already initiated. Roxio's instructions start off with "1.Remove any Roxio and Sonic programs from Add or Remove Programs." and that's exactly what I tried to do with no success. So the instructions that follow that are just as ineffective. I tried to Remove and Change in Add or Remove Programs and the text of the popups are reproduced below.

[Text of the message(s) I've sent Roxio, which their agents do not seem to comprehend as they loop me!]

I do not know what Roxio product WAS in my PC when I bought it and deleted leaving the following on my Add or Remove Programs and which I've found out I cannot remove regardless of what instructions I am given by Roxio Agents or found on a Google search.

NOTE: I DO NOT HAVE A ROXIO PRODUCT ON MY PC, ONLY THE FOLLOWING IN Add or Remove Programs: Roxio Creator Audio, Copy, Data, DE, Tools, Express Labeler, Update Manager

In trying to remove the above I get the following popups (NOTE: I use Copy but it was the same for Audio):

Add or Remove Programs

Roxio Creator Copy - Remove:

(1)I click Remove and a popup says: "Add or Remove Programs - Are you sure you want to remove Roxio Creator Copy from your computer?"

(2)I click Yes and a popup says: "Roxio Creator Copy - Please wait while Windows configures Roxio Creator Copy - Gathering required information" and the status bar has green squares going 3/4 of the way. This popup is instantly covered by another popup that says: "Roxio Creator Copy - A previous installation for this product is in progress. You must undo the changes made by that installation to continue. Do you want to undo those changes?"

(3)I click Yes and get the following popup: "Roxio Creator Copy - Please wait while Windows configures Roxio Creator Copy" and the status bar has 7 green blocks when it is replaced by a popup that says: "Add or Remove Programs - The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you're running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

Roxio Creator Copy - Change:

(1)Clicking on Change brings up a different set of popups: "Roxio Creator Copy Setup - Welcome to the Roxio Creator Wizard - The Wizard will allow you to change the way Roxio Creator Copy features are installed on your computer or even to remove Roxio Creator Copy from your computer. Click Next to continue or Cancel to exit the Wizard."

(2)Clicking Next produces this popup: "Roxio Creator Copy Setup - Modify, Repair or Remove installation - Select the operation you wish to perform."

(3)I select Remove: "Remove - Removes Roxio Creator Copy from your computer." and click Next.

(4)Popup says: "Roxio Creator Copy Setup - Remove Roxio Creator Copy? - You have chosen to remove the program from your computer. - Click Remove to remove Roxio Creator Copy from your computer. If you want to review or change any of your installation settings, click Back. Click Cancel to exit the Wizard."

(5)I click Remove and the next popup says: "Roxio Creator Copy Setup - Removing Roxio Creator Copy - The program features you selected are currently being installed. - Please wait while the Wizard removes Roxio Creator Copy. This may take several minutes." Under "Status" the status bar has green boxes going 3/4 of the way.

(6)A popup interrupts that says: "Installer Information - A previous installation for this product is in progress. You must undo the changes made by that installation to continue. Do you want to undo those changes?"

(7)I click Yes and get this popup: "Roxio Creator Copy Setup - Removing Roxio Creator Copy - The program features you selected are currently being installed. - Please wait while the Wizard removes Roxio Creator Copy. This may take several minutes." "Roxio Creator Copy Setup - Removing Roxio Creator Copy - The program features you selected are currently being installed. - Please wait while the Wizard removes Roxio Creator Copy. This may take several minutes. Status: Copying new files" The space bar under this gets only 10 green boxes.

(8)A popup superimposes: "Installer Information - The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you're running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

(9)I click Okay and get this popup: "Roxio Creator Copy Setup - Roxio Creator Copy Wizard ended prematurely - Roxio Creator Copy setup ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, please run the installation again. Click the Finish button to exit the Wizard."

(10)I click Finish and get the final popup: "Add or Remove Programs - Fatal error during installation. OK"

I'm adding this because I forgot to include it in my message: 2 days ago the Microsoft tech who was fixing the virus also updated the Windows Installer to 4.5 version which I believe is the latest; this was to see if the popup that mentions Windows Installer could be overridden. So the popup that mentions the Windows Installer is not aware that the Windows Installer has been upgraded and is obviously not a factor for the reason for the popup. So the question is: "Where in my PC's hard drive are these Roxio tentacles hidden and why can't they be brought to light and removed?" And also please keep in mind that because of these tentacles I have gone deeper into my PC's hard drive than I dared as I'm not a techie and all instructions have to be kept simple and in a 1,2,3, etc., type

I'm adding this because I forgot to include it in my message: 2 days ago the Microsoft tech who was fixing the virus also updated the Windows Installer to 4.5 version which I believe is the latest; this was to see if the popup that mentions Windows Installer could be overridden. So the popup that mentions the Windows Installer is not aware that the Windows Installer has been upgraded and is obviously not a factor for the reason for the popup. So the question is: "Where in my PC's hard drive are these Roxio tentacles hidden and why can't they be brought to light and removed?" And also please keep in mind that because of these tentacles I have gone deeper into my PC's hard drive than I dared as I'm not a techie and all instructions have to be kept simple and in a 1,2,3, etc., type

Where are you located - tentacles is not a common description of registry entries.

Did the MS Tech know that Roxio did supply some burning software to MS. Remove all of it and you may have to reinstall your operating system. If you had a virus, you should wipe your drives and reinstall your operating system. Did the MS Tech suggest that? Remember that if you got a virus on your computer's system drive, it may have affected any additional drives you have and perhaps any discs you have burned.

Download and run Revo Uninstaller in the Moderate Mode. Revo uninstaller is free and you can get it from cnet.com. If the programs are partially uninstalled, their Pro version might help since it has that option. There is a free trial available. After the trial there is a purchase fee.

Where are you located - tentacles is not a common description of registry entries.

Did the MS Tech know that Roxio did supply some burning software to MS. Remove all of it and you may have to reinstall your operating system. If you had a virus, you should wipe your drives and reinstall your operating system. Did the MS Tech suggest that? Remember that if you got a virus on your computer's system drive, it may have affected any additional drives you have and perhaps any discs you have burned.

Download and run Revo Uninstaller in the Moderate Mode. Revo uninstaller is free and you can get it from cnet.com. If the programs are partially uninstalled, their Pro version might help since it has that option. There is a free trial available. After the trial there is a purchase fee.

I live in The Big Apple, NYC. I use the term tentacles because I don't know what the proper name for "Roxio Creator Audio, Roxio Creator Copy, Roxio Creator Data, Roxio Creator DE, Roxio Creator Tools, Roxio Express Labeler, Roxio Update Manager". Those are located in my Add or Remove Programs and those are the items I've tried to Remove or Change with no success. I did not question the MS Tech about her knowledge of Roxio, I showed her what I wanted removed and she attempted to but when she couldn't she ended up telling me to contact Roxio which I was doing before I contacted MS to help me get rid of a virus that was redirecting my attempts to search at google.com and was preventing me from accessing Microsoft Live OneCare and the Microsoft Security Essentials on my desktop. She actually was not supposed to help me with anything non-Microsoft such as Roxio but she was a nice person and just tried to help.

I bought my DELL OPTIPLEX 745 in October 2010 and deleted Roxio as I preferred Nero 6 for burning CDs. When I went to my Add or Remove Programs that's when I became aware of what I call "tentacles" and which I name above. I started trying to get rid of them in October 2010 so the virus issue has nothing to do with my inability to remove or even change them which I thought would allow me to remove 'em. No luck. The MS tech was very knowledgeable and cleaned my computer and a Live OneCare scan also came up with a clean computer. I haven't burnt any audio or data CDs on this computer. I won't know if Nero 6 will work because I've read on many websites where Roxio messes Nero up. I'll have to wait until I have some music to burn.

I tried Revo Uninstaller a few days ago and it failed. I just tried the PRO version again a few minutes ago, at your suggestion, and it failed. I took photos of the popups that came up during the Revo process so that you can see what transpired. After Revo Uninstaller downloaded I could see under "Other Programs" the above name Roxio whatevers. I clicked on Roxio Creator Copy and got these screens:

post-94119-026308000 1302240465.jpg

post-94119-079413000 1302240483.jpg

post-94119-094404900 1302240508.jpg

post-94119-038987900 1302240537.jpg

post-94119-065277300 1302240550.jpg

post-94119-007075900 1302240563.jpg

post-94119-098956100 1302240572.jpg

post-94119-026958800 1302240583.jpg

post-94119-047112300 1302240599.jpg

post-94119-062446400 1302240610.jpg

post-94119-078605700 1302240621.jpg

post-94119-072676700 1302240633.jpg

Hi Tentacled

The Clean Install instructions work pretty well for just about all of our customers without suing 3rd party uninstall utilities - which if you are unfamiliar with them, can actually damage your registry. (we created this article

Applications fail to launch after running registry cleaner)

Generally, if the instructions fail it's because of a couple of reasons:

1) A step was inadvertently skipped

2) You don't have admin privileges to remove some folders.

3) You are using the wrong set of instructions.

After reviewing your ticket it looks like the agent did not provide you with the proper instructions. I have already let our team know of this failure and corrective action is being taken.

I'm seeing you have Creator 2011, so here are the full c lean install instructions: http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/000274CR&PARAMS=set-locale=en

Please make sure you go through every step and all the instructions. Do not skip any of them.

Let us know how it goes.

Jon

Roxio Customer care

Why did you skip the removal of the registry items?

I didn't skip the removal of the registry items. I clicked on NO and nothing happened, I waited for a while and the screen just stayed so I didn't think anything was going to happen. Clicking on YES got rid of the screen. I figured that once the Windows Installer popup said it could not be accessed and the Wizard popup said that it ended prematurely nothing else was going to happen as far as uninstalling and it didn't matter what the next step was.

Hi Tentacled

The Clean Install instructions work pretty well for just about all of our customers without suing 3rd party uninstall utilities - which if you are unfamiliar with them, can actually damage your registry. (we created this article

After reviewing your ticket it looks like the agent did not provide you with the proper instructions. I have already let our team know of this failure and corrective action is being taken.

I'm seeing you have Creator 2011, so here are the full c lean install instructions: http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/000274CR&PARAMS=set-locale=en

Please make sure you go through every step and all the instructions. Do not skip any of them.

Let us know how it goes.

Jon

Roxio Customer care

The problem started when I removed Roxio from my PC without paying attention to what version was being removed. I wasn't aware that Roxio was more than whatever was removed. I found out later when I viewed the Add or Remove Programs page and I saw the Roxio "tentacles" (for lack of the proper term). This was in October 2010 when I bought the PC on eBay. Since then I've tried almost everything available short of buying software that claims to remove such items. Since Revo Uninstaller failed then I have no faith in anything being successful as I've found out from the suggestions I've gotten from Roxio Agents. They don't seem to understand my problem. The reason I want to remove the Roxio items is that I like a lean PC without unnecessary encumbrances which I consider these Roxio items to be.

I went to the article you include above: "To resolve the issue, you will need to perform a clean installation of the software. "This will replace the needed registry keys for proper operation of your software.

Complete Uninstall of Creator 9 & 10 on Windows XP" but since I don't know what version of Roxio was removed I don't want to install something that may not be the correct solution. I don't know enough about repairing my computer to take a chance on installing a software that could result in a worse condition than I'm presently encountering. I am open to suggestions and correct procedures that keep my PC safe and sound. So please do not stop trying to help me.

Hi Tentacled

Let us know how it goes.

Jon

Roxio Customer care

Additional comments: I do not have Creator 2011. The reason I chose that is when the dropdown menu appears one has to select from the list instead of there being the additional choice of Other, for issues that are not on the dropdown menu. I explained this in one of my replies but it was glossed over which is what I'm criticizing Roxio Agents about. I was specific about this. The Roxio items I want to remove do not appear anywhere to posibbly see what Roxio version was installed so that we can proceed with the proper access to remove Roxio Creator Copy, Roxio Creator Data, Roxio Creator DE, Roxio Creator Tools, Roxio Express Labeler, Roxio Update Manager.

Since I have stated that I do not remember what Roxio version came with my DELL OPTIPLEX 745, which I removed upon receipt of the PC and, frankly, I cannot come up now with the reason I removed except that perhaps my reading about the problems others were having with Roxio and Nero and I had Nero 6 in my previous PC for burning CDs containing downloaded music and dubbing from my CD collection, that could have been the reason. Nero 6 was right up my alley for simpleness and I didn't want another program that entailed additional steps to creating music CDs.

The reason I'm adding this is that I just contacted the eBay seller that sold me the PC to find out if they had on record what version of Roxio was installed but I got a recording and had to leave a message. Then I looked up on Google other OPTIPLEX sales to see if they mentioned the Roxio version that they're including and there are too many varieties of Roxio for me to guess which version I removed. Please have patience until I'm contacted by the eBay seller and hope that they can tell me, that will save a lot of trouble although I've been troubling since October 2010!

I showed photos of my monitor showing the Revo Uninstaller process. But I didn't show photos of what happens when I try to remove the Roxio items from Add or Remove Programs. Here they are. First, 6 photos for Remove, followed by 10 photos for Change.

Remove:First photo is of the cursor at Remove.

Second photo is of the popup that says: "Are you sure you want to remove Roxio Creator Copy from your computer?"

Third photo should have been of the popup that says: "Please wait while Windows configures Roxio Creator Copy" and shows the status bar with green boxes 3/4 of the way to completion below "Gathering required information...". But a second or two after this popup the small popup that says: "A previous installation..." superimposes itself over the big popup. There is no installation in progress and this popup has no reason for existing, presently, as far as I "know". I clicked on Yes to "undo those changes" although there are no changes being performed (I say this with "authority" as I don't accept that any changes have taken place and as this popup appears anytime I go through this Remove process hoping that something magical happened in the PC while it was turned off. Lotsa luck!)

Fourth photo popup shows the normal appearance of the small popup superimposed over the bigger popup.

Fifth photo is self-explanatory.

Sixth photo indicates the end of the exercise. It was this popup that got the Microsoft tech to update the Windows Installer to 4.5. Coming back to Add or Remove Programs brought up this popup again which convinced her to tell me to contact Roxio. Of course I had been in contact with Roxio and none of the suggestions given helped.

Below the above 6 Remove photos are 10 of Change. The popups in Change are self-explanatory and I hope they are clear enough for you to see that I followed the prompts to the end which resulted, again, in failure. I don't think I could have done anything different whether in Remove or Change as there were no choices other than those presented in the popups.

And thanks to all for allowing the uploading of my photos.

post-94119-037128100 1302307870.jpg

post-94119-012854800 1302307891.jpg

post-94119-003957900 1302307900.jpg

post-94119-024771000 1302307908.jpg

post-94119-093987900 1302307915.jpg

post-94119-070230600 1302307924.jpg

post-94119-031968300 1302308462.jpg

post-94119-013739100 1302308478.jpg

post-94119-007146500 1302308487.jpg

post-94119-079712600 1302308495.jpg

post-94119-003155200 1302308508.jpg

post-94119-074823500 1302308518.jpg

post-94119-004449000 1302308529.jpg

post-94119-082534300 1302308537.jpg

post-94119-076431600 1302308547.jpg

post-94119-005093900 1302308559.jpg

Since I have stated that I do not remember what Roxio version came with my DELL OPTIPLEX 745, which I removed upon receipt of the PC and, frankly, I cannot come up now with the reason I removed except that perhaps my reading about the problems others were having with Roxio and Nero and I had Nero 6 in my previous PC for burning CDs containing downloaded music and dubbing from my CD collection, that could have been the reason. Nero 6 was right up my alley for simpleness and I didn't want another program that entailed additional steps to creating music CDs.

The reason I'm adding this is that I just contacted the eBay seller that sold me the PC to find out if they had on record what version of Roxio was installed but I got a recording and had to leave a message. Then I looked up on Google other OPTIPLEX sales to see if they mentioned the Roxio version that they're including and there are too many varieties of Roxio for me to guess which version I removed. Please have patience until I'm contacted by the eBay seller and hope that they can tell me, that will save a lot of trouble although I've been troubling since October 2010!

Your problem is that you do not have a standard Roxio program but a OEM version supplied by Dell (The "Roxio Creator DE" you listed identifies it as such). In this case Roxio is not responsible for any problems but you should be talking to Dell.

If you got the computer from someone on e-bay, and that person gave you a loaded hard drive, the first thing that you should have done is format the hard drive and start out clean. ;)

Your problem is that you do not have a standard Roxio program but a OEM version supplied by Dell (The "Roxio Creator DE" you listed identifies it as such). In this case Roxio is not responsible for any problems but you should be talking to Dell.

I appreciate your conclusion and it might just be the right one. But it also makes me wonder what if anything DELL could tell me to remove the Roxio items in my Add or Remove Programs. I'm hoping to hear from the eBay seller and what he tells me, if anything, might help me when I contact DELL. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Although I don't know why it should be difficult to remove something on a computer that befuddled even a knowledgeable Microsoft technician and which Roxio Agents should find as easy to do as 1,2,3.

And, remember that there are a ton of disgruntled users who also have problems removing Roxio items from their computers.

Since you are knowledgeable, do you have any suggestions to rid myself of the Roxio items or am I doomed to live with them in my hard drive short of reformatting my drive?

If you got the computer from someone on e-bay, and that person gave you a loaded hard drive, the first thing that you should have done is format the hard drive and start out clean. ;)

While what you say makes sense, using myself as an example it never occurred to me to reformat the hard drive because it came with the hard drive reformatted. And while I do not know the exact percentage because it changes minute by minute on eBay, I can say from looking at tons of computer listings that most of the computers with Windows XP Home Edition, Pro, etc., usually come with a host of programs and I'm sure that some buyers will remove what they don't want. My failure was in not paying attention to what I was doing when I removed Roxio and I thought that doing so would also include the rest of the list.

It's too late now for me to follow your advice.

While what you say makes sense, using myself as an example it never occurred to me to reformat the hard drive because it came with the hard drive reformatted. And while I do not know the exact percentage because it changes minute by minute on eBay, I can say from looking at tons of computer listings that most of the computers with Windows XP Home Edition, Pro, etc., usually come with a host of programs and I'm sure that some buyers will remove what they don't want. My failure was in not paying attention to what I was doing when I removed Roxio and I thought that doing so would also include the rest of the list.

It's too late now for me to follow your advice.

It looks like something (the uninistaller) was removed before the program was uninstalled properly. You have two options. Live with the computer the way it is or reformat the hard drive.

Revo tries to use the built in uninstaller which seems to be messed up. The second step is a scan of the registry items where you click no. The third step which I see is the list of the registry items when you select select all and then select to delete the items. If you did not, the registry items are left and you end up with essentially using the Dell built in installer whcoh didn't work to begin with.

BTW, You have a version of Creator 10.X depending on how old the computer was. I hope you installed a good anti-virus; buying a computer with loaded programs may mean that you have bought a computer with all kinds of malware and viruses and rootkits and who knows what else.

It looks like something (the uninistaller) was removed before the program was uninstalled properly. You have two options. Live with the computer the way it is or reformat the hard drive.

Revo tries to use the built in uninstaller which seems to be messed up. The second step is a scan of the registry items where you click no. The third step which I see is the list of the registry items when you select select all and then select to delete the items. If you did not, the registry items are left and you end up with essentially using the Dell built in installer whcoh didn't work to begin with.

BTW, You have a version of Creator 10.X depending on how old the computer was. I hope you installed a good anti-virus; buying a computer with loaded programs may mean that you have bought a computer with all kinds of malware and viruses and rootkits and who knows what else.

I don't know about the uninstaller but everytime that I download anything I always allow it time to settle down and then I proceed. I have been living with the computer the way it is and I have not seen any detrimental behavior with the computer. What bothers me, though, that there are things residing in my computer that I cannot remove. I considered reformatting the hard drive and saved all of my data and photos but my wife and I agree that it's not worth going through the reformatting because if I remove Roxio it might still leave the same Roxio items as I have now.

I didn't know there was a built-in uninstaller which was messed up but I don't know by what action on my part. I've removed all visible signs of Roxio from the registry, after exporting a copy of my registry as suggested in Roxio's instructions.

Thanks for identifying the Roxio version and the PC seems to be from 2006. It came with McAffee which I replaced immediately with Microsoft Security Essentials which I find satisfactory for my simple needs. I'm 73 and all I really do with my computer is sell on eBay and surf.

When a Microsoft tech takes control of the computer they are very thorough and include getting rid of rootkits, unnecessary and extraneous folders. This last virus attack (first on this computer) the tech removed something like 400+ folders so I know that she douched it good. The computer is an OPTIPLEX 745 with Windows XP Professional. It has a Pentium D processor running at 3.40 GHz, Hyperthreading, 2GB RAM, 150 GB hard drive with 132GB free space. More than enough for my simple needs.

I just received a reply from a Roxio Customer Support who included a link to http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/000274CR&PARAMS=set-locale=en but this is geared for Creator 2011 because that's what I selected from the dropdown menu choices since Roxio forces you to select something even though you may be writing about a non-related problem. They react to your choice instead of reading your comments where you tell them that you don't really have Creator 2011 (as an example) so I have not received a proper reply from them yet. And I have been as specific with them as I have here. I don't know what's going to happen to my PC by following the instructions at that link but I'll give it a try.