• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 63 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
Emuholic

Missing Codecs And Video Input Problems

Question

I got the RGC to review today and have run in to some problems.

First it seems I am missing some video encoding settings in the capture program. I only get WMV, AVI and DIVX where according to the Help file and another screenshot I have seen on the forum there should be others such as DV-Standard option as shown in http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/73134-unkown-capture-error/page__view__findpost__p__366604.

I have attached a screengrab of my software and there are some difference so I am wondering if there is an older or newer version of what I have installed (from the packaged CD). I run the update checker and it reports there are no updates.

--

The second issue is the video input. I have a PAL Xbox 360 and have set it to 1080i output. On the capture software I get corrupted video when I select any of the PAL settings though it strangely displays absolutely fine with NTSC-M. I have attached a second image showing the PAL-60 which shows an additional area at the bottom of the image repeated from the top. If you notice it says 'No Signal'.

Any advice on either issue would be greatly appreciated.

I am running Windows 7 64bit, latest Nvidia drivers installed and have the latest K-Lite codec pack.

post-94127-046213200 1302185643.jpg

post-94127-042931900 1302185652.jpg

Edited by misterc

14 answers to this question

I got the RGC to review today and have run in to some problems.

First it seems I am missing some video encoding settings in the capture program. I only get WMV, AVI and DIVX where according to the Help file and another screenshot I have seen on the forum there should be others such as DV-Standard option as shown in http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/73134-unkown-capture-error/page__view__findpost__p__366604.

I can only comment on this, as I don't know what would be giving an issue with PAL output.

The capture program itself gives you the option to capture at AVI uncompressed. It also gives the option to capture compressed WMV and DIVX formats.

You can capture at uncompressed AVI, then in the EDIT program you can export to the other codecs and file types.

So the steps would be:

- Capture video using one of the three options (I would use AVI if you want best quality to start with)

- Open that video in the EDIT program in the Roxio software

- Use the "export as..." option from the menu to export and compress using whatever format and codec you'd like.

Also to clarify, I don't know if there's a way to add this and capture directly with it, but this is how my software works.

It could be that the screenshot shown the other way is an older build of the software.

Also to clarify, I don't know if there's a way to add this and capture directly with it, but this is how my software works.

It could be that the screenshot shown the other way is an older build of the software.

The AVI quality is very good and I have no problems with it. I do not think it is uncompressed as there are some artifacts around text if you zoom in but it is more than good enough. My question was mainly that I was wondering if there were supposed to be more settings than the three I had. I would have also liked to have seen an advanced settings so when capturing where you can choose the quality, codec etc.

I have not tried the editing software a great deal yet, but yeah the exporting options are fine. No problems at all there :)

Edited by misterc

The AVI quality is very good and I have no problems with it. I do not think it is uncompressed as there are some artifacts around text if you zoom in but it is more than good enough. My question was mainly that I was wondering if there were supposed to be more settings than the three I had. I would have also liked to have seen an advanced settings so when capturing where you can choose the quality, codec etc.

I have not tried the editing software a great deal yet, but yeah the exporting options are fine. No problems at all there :)

I don't have the program but I do have experience with similar editing software. One of the issues with Roxio software is that often anti-virus prevents some of the registry items to be put into the registry properly. Additionally, some registry cleaners wipe out some Roxio/Sonic items from the registry. If you had you anti-virus running during the installation, you may have run into that issue. Usually a repair of the software will fix it. For registry cleaners, you can set them to ignore Roxio/Sonic items.

The capture format may be limited. I can't tell from the imformation that I read. Once you do the capture, you can edit any of the following inputs: :Video: AVI, DV-AVI, MOV, WMV, DivX, MP4 (for MOV you probably need to have Quicktime on your computer. Again I'm not sure that you can capture all those formats but you can edit them. Perhaps you have some video that you want to add.

BTW, did you see the Top 10 Review of the program here (link). It may give you more information. These are the current Kb articles on Roxio Game Capture; you may find some information there.

Did you install the k-lite codecs are you sure those codecs are not taking priority over the one in the program?

You said that you are reviewing the program; will you be writing an article for a magazine or for a web site. Perhaps calling Roxio support would be a way to go. Post back and I may be able to find someone to help -- not promises.

I don't have the program but I do have experience with similar editing software. One of the issues with Roxio software is that often anti-virus prevents some of the registry items to be put into the registry properly. Additionally, some registry cleaners wipe out some Roxio/Sonic items from the registry. If you had you anti-virus running during the installation, you may have run into that issue. Usually a repair of the software will fix it. For registry cleaners, you can set them to ignore Roxio/Sonic items.

The capture format may be limited. I can't tell from the imformation that I read. Once you do the capture, you can edit any of the following inputs: :Video: AVI, DV-AVI, MOV, WMV, DivX, MP4 (for MOV you probably need to have Quicktime on your computer. Again I'm not sure that you can capture all those formats but you can edit them. Perhaps you have some video that you want to add.

BTW, did you see the Top 10 Review of the program here (link). It may give you more information. These are the current Kb articles on Roxio Game Capture; you may find some information there.

Did you install the k-lite codecs are you sure those codecs are not taking priority over the one in the program?

You said that you are reviewing the program; will you be writing an article for a magazine or for a web site. Perhaps calling Roxio support would be a way to go. Post back and I may be able to find someone to help -- not promises.

The capturing issues seems to be fine now. I have recorded a hour or so worth of footage in the AVI format and it is good quality. I will try doing the repair while the anti-virus is switched off to double check it did not miss anything.

I uploaded a short clip from Bad Company 2, change to 720p for better quality. This is only a quick upload so future videos will have less compression before uploading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHxB1vVLjYI

The only remaining issue is the video where it only displays on NTSC-M and not one of the PAL settings as I presume it should. See the first post for more details. I have also been playing with the screenshot capture and the images are stretched vertically as shown in the attached image. I am not sure what the cause of this is as the video capture is fine. Maybe something to do with the NTSC-M when it should be PAL? I have no idea :)

I will be reviewing it for my website gamergeddon.com, it will be a written review with a video showing captured footage of various games. So far I am impressed with the RGC, apart from the above two issues (of which one is solved) it works very well.

post-94127-022553200 1302211053.jpg

The capturing issues seems to be fine now. I have recorded a hour or so worth of footage in the AVI format and it is good quality. I will try doing the repair while the anti-virus is switched off to double check it did not miss anything.

I uploaded a short clip from Bad Company 2, change to 720p for better quality. This is only a quick upload so future videos will have less compression before uploading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHxB1vVLjYI

The only remaining issue is the video where it only displays on NTSC-M and not one of the PAL settings as I presume it should. See the first post for more details. I have also been playing with the screenshot capture and the images are stretched vertically as shown in the attached image. I am not sure what the cause of this is as the video capture is fine. Maybe something to do with the NTSC-M when it should be PAL? I have no idea :)

I will be reviewing it for my website gamergeddon.com, it will be a written review with a video showing captured footage of various games. So far I am impressed with the RGC, apart from the above two issues (of which one is solved) it works very well.

Did you have a PAl captur setting? NTSC vs PAl is really only important when you output the production to a file. The video on use of Video Wave clearly shows that PAL output is possible. I don;t know enough to say if PAL capture is supported. Is that really important? Sorry. As I said, I know the software for the editing but not the capture device. Just to let you know that I may not be the best person to answer some ofthe questions, I have never played a PS3 or XBox.

Just slighty game challenged !

Did you have a PAl captur setting? NTSC vs PAl is really only important when you output the production to a file. The video on use of Video Wave clearly shows that PAL output is possible. I don;t know enough to say if PAL capture is supported. Is that really important? Sorry. As I said, I know the software for the editing but not the capture device. Just to let you know that I may not be the best person to answer some ofthe questions, I have never played a PS3 or XBox.

Just slighty game challenged !

Yeah there are various capture settings for NTSC, PAL and SECAM. I have a PAL Xbox 360 at 1080i so I would have presumed changing the setting to one of the PAL settings would work. It does capture video absolutely fine in NTSC-M so it does not affect me and is not exactly important, just wondering why changing to PAL does not work when it should and if the screenshot capture being stretched is something to do with this.

Guest ivanatrox

Hi Misterc,

1. with WMV, AVI and DivX, you have all the capture settings. We changed the option from DV to AVI at a late stage of development and HELP file was not updated.

2. Can you please let me know which country you are located in. (or you can PM me) I'm gald that NTSC-M setting is working for you but we do want to figure out why both PAL settings don't work while you are on a PAL system.

Thanks!

Ivan

Hi Misterc,

1. with WMV, AVI and DivX, you have all the capture settings. We changed the option from DV to AVI at a late stage of development and HELP file was not updated.

2. Can you please let me know which country you are located in. (or you can PM me)

Thanks!

Ivan

1. Thanks for clarifying that.

2. I am in United Kingdom. I am using a PAL Xbox 360 set at 1080i. It is connected to a LG M228WA TV/Monitor if that makes any difference.

Guest ivanatrox

Hi Misterc,

If you change the output setting for 360 from 1080i to 720p, does it have the same issue with PAL-B/PAL-M options?

Thanks!

Ivan

Hi Misterc,

If you change the output setting for 350 from 1080i to 720p, does it have the same issue with PAL-B/PAL-M options?

Thanks!

Ivan

I have tried with 720p and still the same, only displays in NTSC modes. If you check the first post, in the second attached screenshot you can see that the display shows incorrectly if I change to PAL-60, part of the top of the screen is shown at the bottom. Other PAL settings give warped video like when an analogue TV is not tuned in properly.

Guest ivanatrox

Hi All,

We found out the cause for Issue #2. For XBox 360, the input is always 60Hz regardless if it's NA or EU model. That's why it works with NTSC-M option.

I'll work on a KB article for this issue and update once the article is posted.

Thanks!

Ivan

Hi All,

We found out the cause for Issue #2. For XBox 360, the input is always 60Hz regardless if it's NA or EU model. That's why it works with NTSC-M option.

I'll work on a KB article for this issue and update once the article is posted.

Thanks!

Ivan

Thanks for clearing that up. Do you know why the images are stretched vertically as shown in the image a few posts up?

Also, my review of the Roxio Game Capture is now online at http://www.gamergeddon.com/2011/04/13/roxio-game-capture-review/.

Thanks for clearing that up. Do you know why the images are stretched vertically as shown in the image a few posts up?

Also, my review of the Roxio Game Capture is now online at http://www.gamergedd...apture-review/.

Set 16x9 in X360, recording it and export to 848x480. Perfect aspect ratio.

Claudio