• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Encoding/rendering Photos

birdbill

Question

I am unable to get a successful encode (render) of a production (size 3,918.6MB) it was started in MyDVD, it was sent back and forth to VW for editing, has an Intro, videos (mpeg), stills (jpeg), a slideshow, overlays, text effects, transitions, music, , background music and pan/zooms. I attempted to encode it as an .iso and with DVD and .iso without a DVD - HQ quality. The production was saved many times during building, it plays well within Roxio. All text effects, music, overlays, videos, transitions, and menus, and some stills encode fine, but a lot of the stills do not encode. Stills contiguous to transitions or pan/crop/zooms all render OK. The still photos were HD, ranging from very large pixil and MB counts, from 15 to 20 MB, I reduced the MB count to a range of 2 to 6 MB, with pixil count no more than 5616 on the long axis. That helped some but the problem remains. The source of the photos are located in a variety files on my computer, could the CoDec be having difficulty locating them? Does this program have a size limit, on photos, that I may have exceeded? Why are all HD videos rendered without problems, and only the stills have a problem? I have another editing program that I could use, but, I have so much time invested in this production that I want to exhaust all efforts to save it. I have produced a number of other similar productions using Roxio (not this large,) with no problems. Can you help? Program and system information is attached. Thanks :rolleyes:

post-40714-098501500 1302390538.jpg post-39730-091813600 1302436992.jpg

{removed SN from pic ~ jim ;) )

Edited by Jim_Hardin

2 answers to this question

I am unable to get a successful encode (render) of a production (size 3,918.6MB) it was started in MyDVD, it was sent back and forth to VW for editing, has an Intro, videos (mpeg), stills (jpeg), a slideshow, overlays, text effects, transitions, music, , background music and pan/zooms. I attempted to encode it as an .iso and with DVD and .iso without a DVD - HQ quality. The production was saved many times during building, it plays well within Roxio. All text effects, music, overlays, videos, transitions, and menus, and some stills encode fine, but a lot of the stills do not encode. Stills contiguous to transitions or pan/crop/zooms all render OK. The still photos were HD, ranging from very large pixil and MB counts, from 15 to 20 MB, I reduced the MB count to a range of 2 to 6 MB, with pixil count no more than 5616 on the long axis. That helped some but the problem remains. The source of the photos are located in a variety files on my computer, could the CoDec be having difficulty locating them? Does this program have a size limit, on photos, that I may have exceeded? Why are all HD videos rendered without problems, and only the stills have a problem? I have another editing program that I could use, but, I have so much time invested in this production that I want to exhaust all efforts to save it. I have produced a number of other similar productions using Roxio (not this large,) with no problems. Can you help? Program and system information is attached. Thanks :rolleyes:

The problem may well be with those huge photo files. Other users have reported similar problems but it has never been confirmed.

Anyway, there is really no sense in using files with such high resolution since it all gets converted to a 720x480 resolution when you create standard high quality DVDs.

File sizes actually are pretty meaningless when you talk about video. The lime length of the project is what matters. A standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of video at the HQ setting. Any longer and the video has to be compressed and you lose quality.

Another tip is to put all the projects resources in a single folder and not have them spread all over the computer.

I am one who never bought into the ’Big Picture’ problem :lol:

I made up a bunch of test pics in the 9000 X 7000 range (6+ MB) and they never missed a beat…

What I have found is that some PC’s that use a Video Chip instead of a Video Card fail badly in rendering… I have one like that and added a $30 Video Card and all rendering problems ceased!

If you have a Video Card, make sure you have the manufactures latest drivers (almost monthly :huh: ) and installed their software.

You can also try setting MyDVD or VideoWave, Tools – Options – Render, to Software. Sometimes that will do the trick, although in my PC it did not work and I still had to go with a Card… :(