Creator 2011 Special Edition Does Not Recognize Cd/dvd Drive

fr2006ca

Question

The problem is that Roxio 2011 Special Edition does not recognize the CD/DVD Drive, that actual hardware drive rather than the media.

MS Windows 7 can see and write to the optical drive but Roxio 2011 Special Edition cannot. When I check the Roxio 2011 Special Edition configuration, the "Enable Roxio Burn for these drives:" box is blank. There are no drives listed in the box that would normally show the drive designation, make and model. My Lite-On Atapi IHES108 CD/DVD Multidrive should be listed here but it is not. In several screens of the various sub-applications I see a "No Drives detected" message

The drive in question is a Lite-On Atapi iHES108 - CD/DVD Multidrive. Orginal firmware was 7L07 which I upgraded to 7L09. - Roxio still would not recognize the drive after the upgrade and installing new drivers.

MS Windows 7 can still read and write to the optical drive after the firmware update but Roxio 2011 Special Edition still cannot. It may be important to note that the Roxio 2011 Special Edition was installed from this CD/DVD multi-drive.

Roxio Support suggested that I install PX Engine which I did. I have since learned the the PX Engine patch is for Creator 8 or 9 to address drives that have media problems. It had no benefit to Roxio 2011 Special Edition.

I have a new Windows 7 x64 machine, i7 processor, 32 G of memory, etc etc

Does anyone know of a Roxio 2011 Special Edition Certified Hardware List? Any work arounds?

Thank You

Roxio Support suggested that I install PX Engine which I did. I have since learned the the PX Engine patch is for Creator 8 or 9 to address drives that have media problems. It had no benefit to Roxio 2011 Special Edition.

First! Roxio, in any version, works with any and all optical drives! ;)

I would be curious where you learned that because it is WRONG… the pxenginexxx has been used in all 8 versions of Roxio… ONLY the ‘3.oxxx’ version would be wrong for 2011. Either of the 2, “4” versions will be fine. In fact in some cases you will have to run one, then the other to get things working :huh:;)

First thing I would suggest is to do the Prep Steps to the letter!

Then start to install of the Suite, only pick Repair when it is offered.

When that is done, check in the main program under Tools – Get Disc Info.

Try it with and without a disc in the drive. If all is OK, go ahead and Check for Updates.

Let us know how that works out...

Should that not work, do a screen cap of the Drive Info and post that here so we can 'see' what it is doing.

I have a new Windows 7 x64 machine, i7 processor, 32 G of memory, etc etc

Any work arounds?

Thank You

Yes there is.

On the root of your C drive make a folder and name it fix. Download # 7 in my signature (PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update) extract/unzip it in the fix folder.

Type run in the search bar or Windows logo key + R to bring up the Run Command Box. Copy and paste the line below into the Run Box and click ok.

c:\fix\pxengine4_18_16a /pxhelponvista

Click 'next' click 'finish' reboot the pc. Can you see your drives now?

post-97-017982700 1303045499.jpg

post-97-005536300 1303045504.jpg

post-97-083615200 1303045537.jpg

post-97-053714400 1303045630.jpg

Edited by cdanteek

Hi cdanteek,

Thank You for the reply. The PX Engine file that you recommended is a different one than the support person directed me to use.

I followed your directions to the letter. However when I excuted the c:\fix\pxengine4_18_16a /pxhelponvista command I recieved the following error message "Unable to find the SetupPx.ini file. Exiting" I was able to execute the command without the /pxhelponvista switch and it ran normally and displayed the screens that you sent in your reply. Unfortunately Creator 2011 Special Edition still can see the iHES108 cd/DVD/Blueray drive.

Since I ran two different versions of the PXengine executable, I am thinking that I will do an uninstall and reinstall the Creator 2011 Special Edition software.

Do you have a list of the registry edits that I could check to make sure that all Creator 2011 entries are removed during the uninstall?

I see that you have a c2011 clean-up file but the accompaning knowledge base notes state that is should be run as a last resort only. I take from this that the c2011 clean up utility is not something we should execute at this time. Yes/No?

Thank you,

Fred

Jim Hardin said:

"I would be curious where you learned that because it is WRONG… the pxenginexxx has been used in all 8 versions of Roxio… ONLY the ‘3.oxxx’ version would be wrong for 2011. Either of the 2, “4” versions will be fine. In fact in some cases you will have to run one, then the other to get things working :huh:;) "

Hello Jim

To answer your question, I recieved the file from the Roxio support tech, ticket 1216121. The remainer of the information I read from responses of my search on the file name from the Roxio knowledge base.

I know that you did not ask for feedback but I am the customer so I am going to put it out there. I have reviewed my post several times and I do not know why you became so defensive. I was just trying to include all the information. I have read many of your replies to other individuals which display this same type of defensive if not confrontational replies. If your desire is to a be a good representative for your company, a gentler tone and the desire to understand would serve your customer service/support image well.

I immediatley gravitated to the response that I recieved from cdanteek over yours. Compare the two responses and assess for yourself.

All the Best,

Fred

I followed your directions to the letter. However when I excuted the c:\fix\pxengine4_18_16a /pxhelponvista command I recieved the following error message "Unable to find the SetupPx.ini file. Exiting"

Post a screen shot of that error please?

Jim Hardin said:

"I would be curious where you learned that because it is WRONG… the pxenginexxx has been used in all 8 versions of Roxio… ONLY the ‘3.oxxx’ version would be wrong for 2011. Either of the 2, “4” versions will be fine. In fact in some cases you will have to run one, then the other to get things working :huh:;) "

Hello Jim

To answer your question, I recieved the file from the Roxio support tech, ticket 1216121. The remainer of the information I read from responses of my search on the file name from the Roxio knowledge base.

I know that you did not ask for feedback but I am the customer so I am going to put it out there. I have reviewed my post several times and I do not know why you became so defensive. I was just trying to include all the information. I have read many of your replies to other individuals which display this same type of defensive if not confrontational replies. If your desire is to a be a good representative for your company, a gentler tone and the desire to understand would serve your customer service/support image well.

I immediatley gravitated to the response that I recieved from cdanteek over yours. Compare the two responses and assess for yourself.

All the Best,

Fred

None of the folks here in the forums, works for Roxio, unless you see a Roxio logo by their names.

None of the folks here in the forums, works for Roxio, unless you see a Roxio logo by their names.

HI Grandpa,

Thank You for that info. It helps a lot. The response from the Ticket that I sent to Roxio Support disappointed me. I appeared to me that the support person did not fully read the information that I sent. I may have to pick up the trail on the ticket yet.

Thanks,

Fred

Screen Shot attached

I followed your directions to the letter.

It works fine for myself and several others I've asked to check it!

What did you use to extract/unzip the pxengine download with?

Are both in a folder on the C Drive like I posted?

Would you go back and double check the directions I posted in post #3 again please.

Jim Hardin said:

Hello Jim

All the Best,

Fred

I don’t know why you are so defensive about this…

You started your topic being critical of Roxio Support and I merely pointed that out that you are incorrect in your assessment… ;)

cd has provided you essentially the same download and you are having trouble with it. This is pointing to the possibility of some other problems with your PC :(

As GPB pointed out, I don’t work for Roxio and am not obligated to provide anything!

cdanteek is a respected friend and more than capable of assisting you so I will leave it at that. Hope you get this fixed!

Hi cdanteek,

Thank You again for your help, it is appreciated. Since our last correspondence I have done the following:

1.) Uninstalled Creator 2011 Special Edition

2.) Removed all files and directories left behind by the uninstall proceedure

3.) Removed all Registry edits left behind by the uninstall proceedure

4.) Disconnected from network, stopped all startup apps and reinstalled Creator 2011

5.) Ran the PXEngine app with the helponvista switch and it ran without error

6.) Creator 2011 still could not see the CD/DVD Drive at this point.

7.) Installed the Creator 2011 Service Pack

8.) Creator 2011 still could not see the CD/DVD Drive at this point.

9.) Again, ran the PXEngine app with the helponvista switch and it ran without error a second time.

10.) Creator 2011 still could not see the CD/DVD Drive at this point.

11.) I have another CD/DVD drive as a spare. The problem drive is a Lite-On iHAS108 which is a BlueRay combo drive. I removed the ihes108 and installed the iHAS124 which does not have the BlueRay capacity, thinking that the BlueRay element might be the problem. Creator 2011 cannot see this drive either.

So, this brings us up to your recent reply and I think that we may have found something. The third item, the registry edit is fine, mine is identical to yours. The file PxHlpa64.sys is in the correct directory identical to yours. However, the PX.ini file, although in the correct location does not contain any information. It has a file size of zero. I used notepad to open it and there is nothing in the file, not even an ini outline.

The empty PX.ini file could very well be the problem. Could you send me a copy of yours? I could edit it such that it provides the correct information for my machine to Creator 2011. This could also point ot a hardware problem.

My machine is a unit that I put together just before Christmas. I will give you a list of the hardware as well.

ASUS P7P55-E-PRO main board

Intel i7 870 2.93 ghz processor

Dual MSI GEFORCE 460 HAWK 1GB Video Display cards

Dual WD 1TB Cavair Hard Disk in Array - RAID 0

Seasonic 650 GOLD PowerSupply

Antec 11 bay case

The CD/DVD drive letter is g:

I hope that this helps,

Fred

fr2006ca

Removed all Registry edits left behind by the uninstall proceedure

How?

Does windows see the Drive in My Computer?

PX.ini file, won't help..

post-97-048961700 1303160689.jpg

Download and extract/unzip the PX Engine 3_00_58a # 7 in my signature.

Run the .exe and reboot, check the drives in Roxio..

Edited by cdanteek

Hi Jim,

I certainly owe you an apology. I was disappointed with the Roxio support. When I saw all of your activity in the forum(s)I had incorrectly taken you as being the Roxio Forum moderator and my disappointment was misdirected to you.

I come from a corporate environment that has very, very strict rules about postings, emails, etc., Emoticons and a sense of humor are not allowed in my day to day computing environment. I missed the signals of your emoticons completely and the tone that the emoticons were to imply to the words.

My apologies.

All the Best,

Fred

I have just completed PX Engine 3_00_58a update. Creator 2011 still does not have a CD/DVD Drive. The drive appears normally in the Windows Explorer file manager. I can read and write to CDs and DVDs, no problem.

I think that we may have exhaused the PX Engine aspect and I am thinking that the problem is with the 'Roxio Burn' part of the Creator 2011 package. Unfortunately, I am unable to find any configuration files for Roxio burn.

Your thoughts?

Fred

Removed all Registry edits left behind by the uninstall proceedure

Answer the question above please, how did you remove them.

Without the pxengine and it's filters you will get what you see!

This morning I deleted the post-97-018556300 1303163656.jpg in system32 driver folder and all my drives disappeared from Roxio.

Open Device manager and find the drive under CD/DVD-Rom Drives. Right click the drive and click uninstall. Reboot the machine and windows will reinstall the drive and drivers. Check for the drives if they are not seen run the c:\fix\pxengine4_18_16a /pxhelponvista again...

There are a number of Registry utilities on the market. I have used Registry First Aid for years and found it to be very reliable. Registry First Aide released it's 64 bit version last year. I am happy to brag that I was part of the Beta test team on that project. I have heard from several people that the McAfee registry editor is good also, however I have never used it. Another way to do it is to back up your registry before installing a new software, and it the new software is leass than expected, then you just revert to the registry you made before the install.

I uninstalled the drive; rebooted; Windows 7 reinstalled the drive; ran c:\fix\pxengine4_18_16a /pxhelponvista again, checked to see if the drive appeared in Creator 2011, it did not; rebooted, checked to see if the drive appeared in Creator 2011, it did not.

Roxio Support undated my ticket asking me to install the c2011 service pack and requested dxdiag print which I sent them. Maybe they will find something.

Still puzzled,

Fred

Still puzzled

Me too!

I can break mine in different locations but I can always fix them with the info I've passed on to you.

Registry utilities have a history of breaking Roxio software. The built in W-7 burning software is designed by Sonic I believe. I'm sure their name is on parts of that in the registry... :o

Hi cdanteek

I have gone back to working with the Roxio Help Desk in my ticket. They keep sending me back questions that I have already answered in the previous question/responses to the Roxio help desk. Every response that I get from the Roxio Help Desk is signed by a different tech (as if those are their real names).

In my response to the Help Desk this morning, I asked that my ticket be escalated to a senior tech and that I would like to speak with their manager. I do not know if it will help, but I am hoping. I was really looking forward to using this Creator 2011 software. My mother-in-law came across some movies of when my wife and her siblings when they were children. I offered to convert the tapes to a DVD and give everybody a copy.

Anyways, I am still hoping for a solution.

Fred

I know it's fixable, from here I can't poke it with a stick tho..

Would you download this small free program?

ImgBurn v2.5.5.0 (5,386 KB) http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

After installing reboot and open tools, filter drive load order and post a screen shot? Highlight PxHlpa64 first before taking the screen shot?

post-97-092503700 1303233010.jpg

When you ran any of the px updates including the switch on vista did the installer screen tell you you had to reboot?

Try this, navigate to the (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\PxHlpa64.sys) right click and delete it, reboot the pc.

Don't empty the recycle bin so we can restore it if need be.

Now run the c:\fix\pxengine4_18_16a /pxhelponvista using the (PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update) extracted/unziped in the fix folder.

Making sure the pxengine installer screen tells you to reboot, very important.

Edited by cdanteek

Try this, navigate to the (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\PxHlpa64.sys) right click and delete it, reboot the pc.

Now run the c:\fix\pxengine4_18_16a /pxhelponvista using the (PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update) extracted/unziped in the fix folder.

Making sure the pxengine installer screen tells you to reboot, very important.

Good Morning,

I have just completed this. PX Engine did ask me to reboot which I did, unfortunately after the reboot Roxio Creator 2011 Special Edition could not see the optical drive.

Did PX Engine ask me to reboot on all of the previous attemps? I have run it many times along with the earlier versions. It certainly asked me to reboot most of the time if not all. I would have rebooted regardless if it asked me to reboot or not.

You must be getting tired of this thread. I hope that you still find it challenging.

Fred