class77

Trouble With Album Title & Track Info

Question

For my mom's birthday, we got her professionally recorded and got 4 copies. Those copies didn't have track information or an album title, but everything else was perfect. I bought Toast 11 to put that information on any new copies I made.

I imported the album into iTunes and changed all the track information/album name/artist information. I then watched the Toast tutorial. I then dragged and dropped all the info from the Toast iTunes window into Toast track information. All the information showed up perfectly in the window. I clicked on "Options", checked all the additional tracks and disc information...Again perfect. Clicked Add CD-TEXT and hit burn.

When the album was finished. All it said was "Audio CD" and "Tracks 1-8". There was no sign of any of the track information that I put in or the name I gave the album. What am I doing wrong? TIA

iMac 24"

Edited by class77

15 answers to this question

You aren't doing anything wrong. The CD Text information is there but computers don't read CD Text. In order for the artist/album/track information to appear on a Mac it must either be entered manually in iTunes after the burned CD is inserted or downloaded from CDDB. That has to be done whenever you insert the disc in a different computer for the first time. As a convenience to your mom you can use Toast to upload the information to CDDB by using the Submit CD Track Names command in the Toast Disc menu. Toast should read the CD Text information from the disc for this purpose. That way the disc info will be automatically downloaded to your mom's computer when she first inserts the CD in her computer.

For convenience there is a CD Text to cdinfo applescript available at dougscripts.com which you run from within iTunes that automatically copies the CD Text information from an audio CD to the cdinfo database file that your Mac keeps on the hard drive for displaying that information. The only ways to update that cdinfo database file is from within iTunes or from the online CDDB download.

Another option for you is to burn her two discs. One of the discs can be the audio CD for playing in audio CD players. The other disc can be a Mac & PC data disc for playing on a computer or importing to iTunes or other playing application. The latter will have the artist/album/track info saved to the track's metadata which isn't possible with the audio CD format.

Can you please elaborate? When I bring a cd home from the store and put it in the cd player I have all the information I want and need about the artist and the recording. I thought the technology of having text information along with the audio is a no-brainer for a product like Roxio Titanium, but appearantly not. What is a decent mastering program that can handle this mundane task? What is CDDB? If you're out there... let me know... Thanks.

Thanks for your reply Tsantee, but I'm very disappointed in your answer. I thought that the Toast software would give me an audio CD just like I would buy from the store. When I put one from the store into either a computer or a CD player, I still get the same information both places(artist, track, etc). I don't have to download each individual CD with information and to each computer that plays the information, it's there on the CD itself. Since this is a unique album with medleys of older songs created by my Mom, I don't know what the ramifications of uploading that information to Gracenote could be.

Mom wanted to be about to give these as gifts to friends with the information intact. I guess I'm not going to be able to do that for her

Edited by class77

Thanks for your reply Tsantee, but I'm very disappointed in your answer. I thought that the Toast software would give me an audio CD just like I would buy from the store. When I put one from the store into either a computer or a CD player, I still get the same information both places(artist, track, etc). I don't have to download each individual CD with information and to each computer that plays the information, it's there on the CD itself. Since this is a unique album with medleys of older songs created by my Mom, I don't know what the ramifications of uploading that information to Gracenote could be.

Mom wanted to be about to give these as gifts to friends with the information intact. I guess I'm not going to be able to do that for her

You are mistaken about the store-bought audio CDs. Most have no artist/album/track information on them and those that do have the same CD Text that Toast writes. When you insert the store-bought audio CD on a computer for the first time the OS automatically seeks out that information from the CDDB online database operated by Gracenote. The CD is recognized in that database by its length, the number of tracks and the length of each track. So very quickly the generic information is replaced with the downloaded information. The downloaded information is written to the cdinfo database file on the computer. The next time the CD is inserted the information is read from the cdinfo database rather than needing to be accessed online.

If you don't believe me, disconnect your Mac from the internet and insert a commercial audio CD that you've never previously inserted in your computer. It will display the generic information. Go to iTunes Help and look up "If you don't see song information."

I probably shouldn't have suggested uploading the information to CDDB because it is courteous to only do that when multiple copies will be distributed rather than for a sole copy. I can see no ramifications for you doing that, however.

The problem is not Toast or computers. The audio CD format is not a computer data format and it was created before there were even CD drives in computers. CD Text is a modification to the audio CD format developed by Sony (and followed by very few record companies) to get around the limitation that no information was written along with tracks. But this modification only benefits users who have audio CD players that are specially equipped for reading CD Text.

Hey tsantee,

I've read a few of your posts regarding track names and CDDB, but I don't see an answer for this issue:

Quite often when I insert a retail CD, the track names won't appear in Toast even though they do appear in iTunes. I have clicked Get CD Track Names several times, to no avail. Toast does display the artist and album name, so it's obviously getting some some information from Gracenote, so why not the rest? I thought iTunes also uses CDDB for its data, so why do the names appear in one app but not the other?

I currently have a CD inserted and all the data is displayed in iTunes, but Toast shows all the tracks as Audio Track.aiff.

Toast 11.0.2

post-16179-044005600 1307881032.png

post-16179-025470200 1307881193.png

This is very strange. I'm baffled. My understanding is that Toast first looks to the cdinfo database file on your hard drive and only seeks online info when there isn't information in cdinfo. iTunes keeps the cdinfo database up to date so why didn't Toast see it there? And why doesn't Toast get it from CDDB? Certainly that album is well known.

I've never seen this nor heard of it before. So my first guess is there is a problem with Toast on your Mac. Try trashing the Toast plist and prefs files in your User>Library>Preferences folder to see if the problem is corrupted preference files. If that doesn't fix it download the latest update from Roxio's Software Updates page and reinstall Toast. If that doesn't fix it run disk repair using Disk Utility or better yet Disk Warrior to see if it is an effect of some other problem.

I just trashed the plist and set up Toast again; same result. I'll try reinstalling later.

I run Disk Repair weekly, and ran DiskWarrior a few days ago.

Edited by OregonRebel

After downloading the update and reinstalling, nothing changed. Then I completely deleted Toast and its related files and reinstalled again - still the same. :angry2:

After downloading the update and reinstalling, nothing changed. Then I completely deleted Toast and its related files and reinstalled again - still the same. :angry2:

What window are you in where you see the list of generic names that you posted? I can't seem to get a similar-looking window with or without track names. I disconnected from the Internet and inserted an audio disc that my Mac hasn't previously loaded. The generic names appear but they aren't aiff files until Toast extracts them when added to Toast and Toast doesn't display the .aiff extension except in the Data window which still doesn't look like the one you posted. After extracting all the tracks from the CD I reconnected to the Internet, selected all the tracks and chose Get CD Track Names. Toast successfully added the names from CDDB.

Earlier I tried this with a disc I burned with CD Text. While the Mac displayed the generic names Toast displayed the names from the CD Text information on the disc when each track was extracted.

So I continue to be baffled why this is happening for you. Are you adding the tracks to Toast from the audio CD or are you adding them from and iTunes playlist?

The Copy window with Media selected on the right and Data selected below. I'm not adding them manually, I insert a disc and the title appears in the copy widow.

I just finished copying about a dozen discs, and all the track names were displayed like they should be - no problem. But now I'm putting that George Thorogood disc back in to take a Toast screenshot for you, and as you can see the names are still not displaying. I also have a Def Leppard disc here that won't display track names in Toast.

I'm saving all my discs as images for archival. I guess this isn't any big deal: I thought that when I saved the image and opened it later to convert formats, the tags would missing so I'd have to go look-up the disc online and manually change every track name from Audio Track to it's real name. However, I just saved the Thorogood disc as an image, then dragged it into Toast and all the names popped right up. So I don't know why they aren't being shown in the window before saving. As long as the names will appear later, I'm not too concerned. I'd think there was a problem with the disc except that the names show up in iTunes just fine. Still don't understand why Toast isn't getting those names from the cdinfo file.

Why is it that the Audio tab stays blank? I would think these tracks would appear there but they don't, and the + button below is grayed out so I can't browse for any.

post-16179-015236900 1308063731.png

post-16179-088423400 1308065608.png

The Audio tab in the media browser is blank? It should have the iTunes Library. Surprisingly, though, it has nothing else. So you can't use it to find audio from CDs or elsewhere on the hard drive. Roxio should rename it to "iTunes."

I am able to see the window you describe. However, there is a difference with mine. Instead of the generic track names ending in .aiff they display no extension. Also, the "Kind" is displayed as "AIFF-C audio" and not AIFF audio.

A workaround is to drag the CD into the Toast Audio window. Toast will make an exact duplicate including retaining the gap length from the original. There you can use the Get CD Track Names command. In fact, Toast might ask if you want to get the track names as soon as you drag the CD to that window.

You've encountered an very odd situation. I'm wondering why it describes tracks written to an audio CD as Aiff rather than Aiff-C.

By the way, even with Toast already open and seeing the generic names, I chose to open iTunes and after it downloaded the track info the Toast media browser updated to show the new names.

Excuse me for chiming in, but couldn't it be that OregonRebel's iTunes library is not in the "standard" location, so Toast really has no idea where to look?

You'll recall that I had the same problem with my Lightroom libraries not showing, until I moved them to the "standard" location... If that's the case, it's one more example of Toast not doing things properly: instead of looking where the iTunes library (or libraries?) might be or letting the user tell it, they just assume it is in the "standard" place. How many Mac users do you think do NOT have their music library in /Users/<username>/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media>? Lots, I bet. :(

Instead of the generic track names ending in .aiff they display no extension. Also, the "Kind" is displayed as "AIFF-C audio" and not AIFF audio.

Yeah, that's a bit strange. Maybe it's dependent on the version of iTunes or the OS being used? :huh:

A workaround is to drag the CD into the Toast Audio window. Toast will make an exact duplicate including retaining the gap length from the original. There you can use the Get CD Track Names command. In fact, Toast might ask if you want to get the track names as soon as you drag the CD to that window.

That's hella slower because I have to wait while the tracks are extracted - about 35-70 seconds per track! I dragged the disc in and Toast automatically began the extraction. The names are correct in the window even though the Media Browser shows Audio Track.aiff, iTunes is closed and Finder shows the names as Audio Track.aiff.

I just ran across another disc that doesn't display tags in the Media Browser.

Instead of the generic track names ending in .aiff they display no extension. Also, the "Kind" is displayed as "AIFF-C audio" and not AIFF audio.

Yeah, that's a bit strange. Maybe it's dependent on the version of iTunes or the OS being used? :huh:

That's hella slower because I have to wait while the tracks are extracted - about 35-70 seconds per track! I dragged the disc in and Toast automatically began the extraction. The names are correct in the window even though the Media Browser shows Audio Track.aiff, iTunes is closed and Finder shows the names as Audio Track.aiff.

Wow, I saved the extracted files as an image, and that was FAST! So maybe it all evens out even though the extraction is slower.

I just ran across two more discs that don't display tags in the Media Browser.

post-16179-078922800 1308103767.png

Edited by OregonRebel

Excuse me for chiming in, but couldn't it be that OregonRebel's iTunes library is not in the "standard" location, so Toast really has no idea where to look?

You'll recall that I had the same problem with my Lightroom libraries not showing, until I moved them to the "standard" location... If that's the case, it's one more example of Toast not doing things properly: instead of looking where the iTunes library (or libraries?) might be or letting the user tell it, they just assume it is in the "standard" place. How many Mac users do you think do NOT have their music library in /Users/<username>/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media>? Lots, I bet.

I'd already considered that, but my library is in the default location: /Users/Username/Music/iTunes

Edited by OregonRebel