• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

How to Convert VOB files

compsos

Question

I had a company convert 8mm films to DVD. I was provided 2 DVDs that contain IFO, BUP & VOB files. The VOB files are 1, 048,018KB each and there are (6) of them. All files are located in a TS_Video folder. The DVDs play in Windows Media Player. However I need to play them in Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 and extract portions of each VOB file that can be part of a slideshow that has regular photos too. There is no audio with these files.

1. What are the files that I received, ie what is an IFO file, etc???

2. I have read that you can change the VOB filetype to an AVI then play it. Is that all I have to do?

3. Is there another software package to do the conversion before editing in Roxio??

4. Once Roxio can "play them", what part of the suite do I use to extract portions of video for the slideshow?

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

First try using Media Import. If the company used chpater marks for each roll, you can then save those as individual MPEG files that can then be used in Videowave. Videowave is the app you want to start your project. Editing, adding the still photos, transitions, etc.

If Media Import doesn't work for some reason, then you can try copying the VOBs only to the hard drive and renaming the extension to .MPG. However, thta doesn't work for everyone.

I had a company convert 8mm films to DVD. I was provided 2 DVDs that contain IFO, BUP & VOB files. The VOB files are 1, 048,018KB each and there are (6) of them. All files are located in a TS_Video folder. The DVDs play in Windows Media Player. However I need to play them in Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 and extract portions of each VOB file that can be part of a slideshow that has regular photos too. There is no audio with these files.

1. What are the files that I received, ie what is an IFO file, etc???

2. I have read that you can change the VOB filetype to an AVI then play it. Is that all I have to do?

3. Is there another software package to do the conversion before editing in Roxio??

4. Once Roxio can "play them", what part of the suite do I use to extract portions of video for the slideshow?

Thanks!

Videoredo can convert VOB files to mpeg. These can then be burnt in Easy CD 8. I do it and the quality is great. I have UK dvd's from when I lived in UK and I convert to NTSC this way

<snip>

<snip>

I use a program called vob2mpg (google for it). This software will convert the entire DVD into a single large mpg file on your hard disk. Just copying and renaming the VOBs to MPG doesn't work for me.

I then use VideoWave to split the large file into smaller pieces (~10-15 minutes each). I find editing smaller files goes much quicker and I avoid audio/video synch problems too.

Lance

Archived