• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

David NYC

Create Avi File In Videowave

Question

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I have a 16:9 wmv file that I want to convert to an AVI file. The source file is about 130 Mbyte. When I use Videowave, I select to create a video file using the template DV format AVI (720 x 576). The problem is that the resulting file is HUGE. If I try to create a custom template I'm not sure what options to choose, and I regularly get the message "Unable to build render graph". I've built custom templates in older versions of videowave (back when it had DIVX 5.1 codecs) but I cant seem to make it work in Creator 2010. Any help is appreciated I'm running Windows 7 ultimate.

Edited by David NYC

8 answers to this question

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I have a 16:9 wmv file that I want to convert to an AVI file. The source file is about 130 Mbyte. When I use Videowave, I select to create a video file using the template DV format AVI (720 x 576). The problem is that the resulting file is HUGE. If I try to create a custom template I'm not sure what options to choose, and I regularly get the message "Unable to build render graph". I've built custom templates in older versions of videowave (back when it had DIVX 5.1 codecs) but I cant seem to make it work in Creator 2010. Any help is appreciated I'm running Windows 7 ultimate.

Why do you want to create a DV avi file? DV avi being an almost "uncompressed" format, files will always be large. Figure on about 13-14GB for 60 minutes of video. The source file size or format is immaterial.

Why do you want to create a DV avi file? DV avi being an almost "uncompressed" format, files will always be large. Figure on about 13-14GB for 60 minutes of video. The source file size or format is immaterial.

I was beginning to suspect that DV-AVI file was uncompressed. What settings would need to be used to create a compressed AVI of reasonable size?

On another pc, I have videowave 7, and I have successfully set up custom templates there using a DivX codec within Videowave. The problem there being is that the 16x9 video gets converted to a 4x3 format.

I appreciate your help, and patience since I am new to using these apps.

I was beginning to suspect that DV-AVI file was uncompressed. What settings would need to be used to create a compressed AVI of reasonable size?

On another pc, I have videowave 7, and I have successfully set up custom templates there using a DivX codec within Videowave. The problem there being is that the 16x9 video gets converted to a 4x3 format.

I appreciate your help, and patience since I am new to using these apps.

Yes, Roxio was hit or miss on DivX and XVid formats recently. Neither Creator 2010 nor Creator 2011, according to the supported file list, does not output to these formats.

You might try using a third party converter to do this. There are several free ones that you can download from Cnet.com. DivX also has a converter but I don't know anyhting about it.

Yes, Roxio was hit or miss on DivX and XVid formats recently. Neither Creator 2010 nor Creator 2011, according to the supported file list, does not output to these formats.

You might try using a third party converter to do this. There are several free ones that you can download from Cnet.com. DivX also has a converter but I don't know anyhting about it.

Actually what I need is the file to be in .AVI or .MP4 format. I want to play the files on my Samsung Blu-ray player and those are the two formats it supports. I guess I'm hoping to find a way to convert the current file to either of these two formats while maintaining good resolution (the .wmv file is 928x522) and a reasonable file size (the current size is 340 meg for a 21:45 minute clip) So given that info, I hope someone can guide me in how to convert the wmv file.

Thanks

Samsung Blu-ray player

You want to burn to a DVD Disc and have it play on a settop DVD player?

Post the model number.

You want to burn to a DVD Disc and have it play on a settop DVD player?

Post the model number.

the model is a BD-P3600. The player has the ability to connect to a shared directory on my desktop pc and to play video files that are in .AVI or .MP4 format so I want to convert the .wmv file to one of these two formats, maintaining a 16x9 aspect, good quality, and a file size that is not outrageously larger than the current 340 megabyte of the .wmv file.

What I have tried to do was define a custom a template to use for "Video file quality". In the template I set the compression as "Xvid MPEG-4 Codec", frame rate as "30.00 NTSC" and frame size as "800 x 450". When I go to use this template though, I get the error "Unable to build render graph" so I'm left scratching my head.

I've been doing some experimenting and here's what I've observed. I've tried every type of compression that's available when I try to set up a custom template for creating an AVI file. I almost always get the message the "unable to build the render graph", except when I choose "DV Video Encoder" (but I get huge files) or I chose "Roxio Smart AVC Encode" which will generate the error message "Error: No timestamp available for this sample" Is anybody able to generate custom templates with reasonable compression?