• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

ba2991

Copyright Restriction

Question

HI all.

I have installed TiVo Transfer software and I would like to save some programs on DVD but every time I try to burn a program from the TV I get the following - Not Added Due To Copyright Restrictions. I don't the purpose of TiVo Transfer and Toast10 if we are unable to burn programs from the TV, or am I missing something...

Cheers

ba2991

I haven't encountered that. TiVo Transfer won't let me transfer the copy-protected videos (shown in the transfer list with a red-slashed circle). Everything it will let me transfer has worked okay with Toast. Are you accessing the transfer using the Media Browser?

Edited by tsantee

I haven't encountered that. TiVo Transfer won't let me transfer the copy-protected videos (shown in the transfer list with a red-slashed circle). Everything it will let me transfer has worked okay with Toast. Are you accessing the transfer using the Media Browser?

TEST ONLY

Hi I did send a reply but for some reason it didn't get entered.

I used the program TiVo Transfer and clicked the Toast it button at the bottom left hand corner it opens the Toast10.app and I get the following message. Was not added due to copyright restriction, have tried several TV programs that have been transferred from my TiVo using the TiVo transfer .app but with no luck. You mention the Media browser is that within the transfer program..

Cheers

Colin

post-94675-004971200 1303984916.png

Interesting. Another way to add video to Toast is with its Media Browser. If you don't see the Toast Media Browser when you have Toast open, choose Show Media Browser from the Windows menu. Click on the browser's top button and choose TiVo from the list. You should see all your completed TiVo transfers in the browser window. Drag what you want to the main Toast window. Hopefully this will work. Let me know.

Thanks for your reply.

I dragged the file over to the Media Browser and still the file/s car't be copied/burnt

I tried other files from my compute other than TiVo files and they can be burn with Media/Browser and Toast.

Cheers

post-94675-020319800 1304066068.png

Thanks for your reply.

I dragged the file over to the Media Browser and still the file/s car't be copied/burnt

I tried other files from my compute other than TiVo files and they can be burn with Media/Browser and Toast.

Cheers

That isn't happening with any of my TiVo Transfers so it is very puzzling to me. I've read a few posts where users couldn't copy video from their home-made video DVDs because of a false copy protection message. That seemed to correct itself by restarting Toast or the Mac. It seems to me this problem is on your particular Mac. You might try reinstalling Toast. Also delete the TiVo Transfer application and reinstall it by choosing TiVo Transfer from the Toast Extras menu.

A workaround (that shouldn't be necessary) is to use the "TiVo Decoder" script (available free online) to remove the TiVo package from the transferred video and add the resulting MPEG file to Toast.

That isn't happening with any of my TiVo Transfers so it is very puzzling to me. I've read a few posts where users couldn't copy video from their home-made video DVDs because of a false copy protection message. That seemed to correct itself by restarting Toast or the Mac. It seems to me this problem is on your particular Mac. You might try reinstalling Toast. Also delete the TiVo Transfer application and reinstall it by choosing TiVo Transfer from the Toast Extras menu.

A workaround (that shouldn't be necessary) is to use the "TiVo Decoder" script (available free online) to remove the TiVo package from the transferred video and add the resulting MPEG file to Toast.

Hi and thanks for you're continuing support

I deleted Toast10 and the Tivo Transfer.app and reinstalled toast but now a message comes up saying Tivo Transfer couldn't be opened because it couldn't be found. I have checked the Toast 10 folder and it isn't in there.

do you have any idea where it could be located

Cheers

Colin

post-94675-003428500 1304672370.png

Hi and thanks for you're continuing support

I deleted Toast10 and the Tivo Transfer.app and reinstalled toast but now a message comes up saying Tivo Transfer couldn't be opened because it couldn't be found. I have checked the Toast 10 folder and it isn't in there.

do you have any idea where it could be located

Cheers

Colin

Are you getting that message when trying to open TiVo Transfer from the Extras menu in Toast? I believe it must be opened there before it appears in the Toast folder.

Thanks

Managed to open Tivi Transfer but as you can see from the screen image I am still experiencing the same issue. I'm lost for words with this one.

post-94675-025057700 1304717654.png

There shouldn't be a period (.) after the digit 1 in the title of the video. Go to the TiVo Transfers folder (by default in your Documents folder) and edit the title to remove that dot. Then see if the transfer is accepted. If not, download the freeware "TiVo Decoder" and use it in the Finder to remove the .Tivo package from the video. Then place the resulting .mpeg video in the Toast window.

There shouldn't be a period (.) after the digit 1 in the title of the video. Go to the TiVo Transfers folder (by default in your Documents folder) and edit the title to remove that dot. Then see if the transfer is accepted. If not, download the freeware "TiVo Decoder" and use it in the Finder to remove the .Tivo package from the video. Then place the resulting .mpeg video in the Toast window.

Hello again

I tried to copy a different program that doesn't have the (.) but as you can see i'm still having the same issue. I downloaded the Tivo Decoder and had a look at the file and I really don't understand that sort of software. I must admit I'll really get p,ed off with the whole Tivo thing why there has to be some many different little programs to run the Tivo game is just driving me crazy. O the day's of the VHS and the weekly TV guide was so simple and reliable.

Thanks again

Colin

post-94675-072260500 1304821429.png

Hello again

I tried to copy a different program that doesn't have the (.) but as you can see i'm still having the same issue. I downloaded the Tivo Decoder and had a look at the file and I really don't understand that sort of software. I must admit I'll really get p,ed off with the whole Tivo thing why there has to be some many different little programs to run the Tivo game is just driving me crazy. O the day's of the VHS and the weekly TV guide was so simple and reliable.

Thanks again

Colin

I wish I knew why this was happening for your transfers. Did I suggest trashing the Toast plist and prefs files and relaunching Toast? As for TiVo Decoder it is very simple. Drag a video that's in your Tivo Recordings folder on top of the TiVo Decoder icon. An item appears in your Dock indicating that TiVo Decoder is working. When the decoding is finished there no longer will be that item in the Dock. You also will have another file in the Tivo Recordings folder that ends with .mpeg (or .mpg) rather than ending with .tivo. Drag that file from the folder directly into the Toast window. My guess is ou won't get the copyright issue.

I wish I knew why this was happening for your transfers. Did I suggest trashing the Toast plist and prefs files and relaunching Toast? As for TiVo Decoder it is very simple. Drag a video that's in your Tivo Recordings folder on top of the TiVo Decoder icon. An item appears in your Dock indicating that TiVo Decoder is working. When the decoding is finished there no longer will be that item in the Dock. You also will have another file in the Tivo Recordings folder that ends with .mpeg (or .mpg) rather than ending with .tivo. Drag that file from the folder directly into the Toast window. My guess is ou won't get the copyright issue.

Hi

I'm not sure what the plist file is. I deleted the toast program and re-installed it but I believe some files might of stayed on the mac. I downloaded the Tivo Decoder and opened it but couldn't see the decoder icon the file i down loaded is called tivodecoder-0.2pre4.tar.gz

Colin

Hi

I'm not sure what the plist file is. I deleted the toast program and re-installed it but I believe some files might of stayed on the mac. I downloaded the Tivo Decoder and opened it but couldn't see the decoder icon the file i down loaded is called tivodecoder-0.2pre4.tar.gz

Colin

I'll start with the plist. In the Finder open a window where you have your name (known as your home folder). In a Finder window you'll see it in the list just under Places. There you will see a folder titled "Library." Open the Library folder and then open the Preferences folder. Toast has two files there. One is titled "com.roxio.Toast.plist" and the other is titled "Roxio Toast Prefs." Move these to the trash (don't have Toast open at this time). The next time you launch Toast you will need to go through the set up steps again (although your registration info is retained and doesn't need to be re-entered or re-submitted). These files are updated whenever Toast is used and sometimes become corrupted so it is one of the routine troubleshooting steps.

As for Tivo Decoder. You need to double-click the file you downloaded to remove it from its compressed package. What you'll get is something with just the TiVo Decoder name. Place that anywhere you want but it is handy to have it located in the TiVo Transfers folder. Then follow the instructions from my previous post.

I'll start with the plist. In the Finder open a window where you have your name (known as your home folder). In a Finder window you'll see it in the list just under Places. There you will see a folder titled "Library." Open the Library folder and then open the Preferences folder. Toast has two files there. One is titled "com.roxio.Toast.plist" and the other is titled "Roxio Toast Prefs." Move these to the trash (don't have Toast open at this time). The next time you launch Toast you will need to go through the set up steps again (although your registration info is retained and doesn't need to be re-entered or re-submitted). These files are updated whenever Toast is used and sometimes become corrupted so it is one of the routine troubleshooting steps.

As for Tivo Decoder. You need to double-click the file you downloaded to remove it from its compressed package. What you'll get is something with just the TiVo Decoder name. Place that anywhere you want but it is handy to have it located in the TiVo Transfers folder. Then follow the instructions from my previous post.

Hello and Thanks, Managed to delete the two files and it works. I tried to play back this DVD in my DVD player thats connected to the TV and it didn't play probably because of the extension, TiV, I'm assuming that I can be changed the extension to something else so my DVD player will recognise it.

I did have a look at the TiVo decoder program. Unzipped the downloaded file and it created a file called - tivodecoder-02pre4. Unusual looking file and couldn't see the file named TiVo Decoder.

Cheers

Colin

post-94675-014232800 1305105988.png

Hello and Thanks, Managed to delete the two files and it works. I tried to play back this DVD in my DVD player thats connected to the TV and it didn't play probably because of the extension, TiV, I'm assuming that I can be changed the extension to something else so my DVD player will recognise it.

I did have a look at the TiVo decoder program. Unzipped the downloaded file and it created a file called - tivodecoder-02pre4. Unusual looking file and couldn't see the file named TiVo Decoder.

Cheers

Colin

I've never heard of a .TIV extension. Did you place the TiVo Transfer video in the Toast Video window with DVD Video selected as the format? If so, the finished DVD should contain a VIDEO_TS folder and an empty AUDIO_TS folder. That's what your DVD player needs to find on the DVD.

I see what you mean about the TiVo Decoder you downloaded. I think that must be a Windows version. Try the version that can be downloaded here. Of course you don't need it if Toast is now accepting the transfers.

I've never heard of a .TIV extension. Did you place the TiVo Transfer video in the Toast Video window with DVD Video selected as the format? If so, the finished DVD should contain a VIDEO_TS folder and an empty AUDIO_TS folder. That's what your DVD player needs to find on the DVD.

I see what you mean about the TiVo Decoder you downloaded. I think that must be a Windows version. Try the version that can be downloaded here. Of course you don't need it if Toast is now accepting the transfers.

Hello

Yesterday I clicked Toast it form the Tivo Transfer window and it opened Toast and copied it for me. The extension on the File it created is .TIVO and it played back on my mac computer with my eyeTV viewer, Plays very well. I the placed the DVD into my DVD player-TV and it don't recognise the file *** .TIVO

Sorry for the mistake it wasn't .TIV but .TIVO

I tried to copy the recorded file from my TiVo Recordings from within TiVo Transfer but can't copy it over. I then opened Users/Colins/Doc/ Tivo Recordings found the file dragged it to the VIDEO_TS Folders but received the message Copyright restrictions again "See Attached"

I haven't been to the crappysoftware site yet.

Cheers

Colin

So Looks like I am back to square one

post-94675-068333400 1305197734.png

So Looks like I am back to square one

Guess so. Toast must have burned the other one as a data disc rather than as a video DVD. I've run out of things to suggest. Hopefully the decoder workaround will work.

Guess so. Toast must have burned the other one as a data disc rather than as a video DVD. I've run out of things to suggest. Hopefully the decoder workaround will work.

Hello

I went to the crappysoftware site and there are a couple of programs to download - Tivo Decoder: iTiVo, Roxio Toast. and TiVo Decoder: Save Tivo file as quick time movies.

I downloaded the first one added the MAK No: surprise surprise I't didn't work, had a look at the second program and there seems to be a lot more to install and setup and play around with. Can you confirm the correct .app to download and install.

Cheers

Colin

post-94675-043095000 1305358904.png

Hello

I went to the crappysoftware site and there are a couple of programs to download - Tivo Decoder: iTiVo, Roxio Toast. and TiVo Decoder: Save Tivo file as quick time movies.

I downloaded the first one added the MAK No: surprise surprise I't didn't work, had a look at the second program and there seems to be a lot more to install and setup and play around with. Can you confirm the correct .app to download and install.

Cheers

Colin

Just use the TiVo Decoder. I have no experience with the others and you would only need the decoder to work with Toast. I don't get that window you displayed. I'm presuming that appeared after you dragged a .tivo file on top of the TiVo Decoder icon. That seems to suggest that the .tivo file is not authorized for decoding. Is it possible that you have entered a MAK for a different TiVo than the one you from which you transferred the video? If they are the same then there is some reason the file contains some kind of copy encryption. I thought the copy encryption would prevent TiVo Transfer from transferring it in the first place. Cable companies can place copy encyrption on anything except for the channels that can also be received over the air. Have you checked with a program from ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS or FOX?

Just use the TiVo Decoder. I have no experience with the others and you would only need the decoder to work with Toast. I don't get that window you displayed. I'm presuming that appeared after you dragged a .tivo file on top of the TiVo Decoder icon. That seems to suggest that the .tivo file is not authorized for decoding. Is it possible that you have entered a MAK for a different TiVo than the one you from which you transferred the video? If they are the same then there is some reason the file contains some kind of copy encryption. I thought the copy encryption would prevent TiVo Transfer from transferring it in the first place. Cable companies can place copy encyrption on anything except for the channels that can also be received over the air. Have you checked with a program from ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS or FOX?

I went back online and copy/pasted the MAK and pasted into the TiVo Decoder, it was the same number as before. I then checked via the TV and for some reason it said - the MAK is currently unavailable.

Note that the screen I seen to you yesterday (Decoder Screen) that image was taken after I opened the TiVo Decoder app

I have been dropping 3 saved programs from different channel, one a community channel into the close decoder (just the icon)and I have been getting the following messages

I staring to wonder if the reason for the MAK no being visible on the TV has something to do with the issues I'm having.

---------------------

3 HOURS LATER

Just checked the MAK on the TV and it back and it's the same number that is in the Decoder.

Cheers

Colin

Colin

post-94675-076204100 1305415353.png

post-94675-058762000 1305415421.png

post-94675-031501400 1305415445.png

Edited by ba2991

I went back online and copy/pasted the MAK and pasted into the TiVo Decoder, it was the same number as before. I then checked via the TV and for some reason it said - the MAK is currently unavailable.

Note that the screen I seen to you yesterday (Decoder Screen) that image was taken after I opened the TiVo Decoder app

I have been dropping 3 saved programs from different channel, one a community channel into the close decoder (just the icon)and I have been getting the following messages

I staring to wonder if the reason for the MAK no being visible on the TV has something to do with the issues I'm having.

---------------------

3 HOURS LATER

Just checked the MAK on the TV and it back and it's the same number that is in the Decoder.

Cheers

Colin

Colin

Wow. Maybe you can find a forum where there is a discussion of your cable company's extreme copy protection practices. There may even be some discussion in a topic in Tivo's user forums. Time to connect your TiVo to an antenna (I'm only half kidding). I'm afraid that nothing can be done unless your cable provider changes their behavior. I presume you can still watch the transferred programs on your Mac. But that isn't what you wanted to do with them. Sorry that you're being treated that way. Maybe complaining to the cable company will help.

Wow. Maybe you can find a forum where there is a discussion of your cable company's extreme copy protection practices. There may even be some discussion in a topic in Tivo's user forums. Time to connect your TiVo to an antenna (I'm only half kidding). I'm afraid that nothing can be done unless your cable provider changes their behavior. I presume you can still watch the transferred programs on your Mac. But that isn't what you wanted to do with them. Sorry that you're being treated that way. Maybe complaining to the cable company will help.

Thanks

Down here the TV is still via antenna. I will try to contact someone local and see if they are having any issues.

Thanks Again

Colin

I have finally managed to copy a program with "Toast It" from the TiVo Transfer.app screen, when Toast opens it always defaulted to the Video Folder/DVD-Video this is the wrong folder the correct folder is Convert/Video Files I am now able to do the following, save to all devices - Quality/Standard only? - and Location's.

Can you what I should be saving my files as "DVD only" and advise how to burn a file to a DVD disk, Data or Video or Copy or Convert.

Nearly there...

Colin

post-94675-065586600 1305632862.png

post-94675-086228100 1305632874.png

post-94675-016552500 1305632888.png

post-94675-059616400 1305632899.png

I have finally managed to copy a program with "Toast It" from the TiVo Transfer.app screen, when Toast opens it always defaulted to the Video Folder/DVD-Video this is the wrong folder the correct folder is Convert/Video Files I am now able to do the following, save to all devices - Quality/Standard only? - and Location's.

Can you what I should be saving my files as "DVD only" and advise how to burn a file to a DVD disk, Data or Video or Copy or Convert.

Nearly there...

Colin

If you want the video to be burned to a DVD for playing on a DVD Player the place to do this is in the Video window with DVD video selected as the format. If you want to have a video play on a video iPod, iPhone, iPad or some similar device then the place to do this is in the Convert window with Video Files selected as the format. If you just want to be able to play the video on your computer then you don't need to do anything because you can play it directly from the TiVo Transfer application.

But the above only applies if the video is not copy protected, which yours seem to be. Are you in Australia? I found this article on TiVo's support site which suggests that everything there is copy protected.