• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

grayed out DVD options after clicking 'burn'

I created a dvd in the Roxio DVD Builder 6 and when I click the burn button, the dvd options are grayed out. I have a Samsung SH-S162L.

I tried many things, uninstalling roxio, re-installing it and also tried using Nero which kind of works but only recorded audio and doesn't give me an interface to make a dvd menu. The guy at Best Buy said since I already installed roxio before installing the Samsung dvd burner, I should uninstall roxio and nero (the program it came with), install nero, then roxio and see if it works. Nope...same result.

Maybe the dvd burners I've been using aren't compatible? Any solutions?

-Teddy

Understand upfront that V6 does not support DL burning.

Open Classic and click on Help – About and let us know the Version Number (6.2.0.134?) you have.

Open XP's Device Manager and expand the drive. Are any errors showing? – The fact that 2 software's won't recognize the drive raises the old Code 39 question.

I have version 6.2.0.130. The Device Manager shows no errors. My friend used this same program on his computer and he was able to burn dvd's just fine.

Someone also suggested I download pxengine (http://patches.sonic.com/PX/pxengine1_08_34a.exe) and that usually solves the problem, but it didn't. Do you think if I replaced my Samsung dvd burner with my "Sony dvd rw dw-d22a" it might work there? It didn't before that's why I got the Samsung.

Sorry but I am not the best hardware guy…

Either burner is new enough to be recognized by the dynamic drive detection portion of the program.

In Classic there is a Drive Properties report under the Tools menu. What does it have to say about your Samsung?

You might also run the System Test from the Tools menu while you are there.

Likewise will Classic burn to the Samsung? You can create a Data DVD project and after clicking Burn, select Test Only. This will fully test the drive for burning without actually turning on the burning laser.

If you install the Sony in place of the Samsung and it displays the same symptoms, it would indicate there is a flaw in the hardware setup.

I have version 6.2.0.130. The Device Manager shows no errors. My friend used this same program on his computer and he was able to burn dvd's just fine.

Someone also suggested I download pxengine (http://patches.sonic.com/PX/pxengine1_08_34a.exe) and that usually solves the problem, but it didn't. Do you think if I replaced my Samsung dvd burner with my "Sony dvd rw dw-d22a" it might work there? It didn't before that's why I got the Samsung.

Does your friend have exactly the same computer setup you do? Same Operating System? Same amount of processing power? Same amount of memory? Same burner drive models?

I've known people who assume "I have a computer, that is a computer program, therefore it will work on my computer" - next thing you know, they've burned out the processor.

Who installed the burner? If you did it yourself, is the link to the video card set up correctly?

Did you buy DVD Dual Layer discs with your new burner? If so, I doubt ECD/DVDC 6 would be able to do anything with them.

Did either burner come with software? Usually burners come with software the manufacturer feels will work with the burner, altho it is a modified Version of whatever. Often, it will only recognize the burner it comes with and no other. If it doesn't work with THAT software, there is indeed a hardware problem.

My gut feeling is either the computer itself can't support DVD work (which is extremely resource consuming), or there is some kind of problem with the Video Card. (If there is no Video Card, that is very likely the problem - onboard Video is unlikely to have the power for DVD work.)

How about having your friend look it over?

Lynn

Does your friend have exactly the same computer setup you do? Same Operating System? Same amount of processing power? Same amount of memory? Same burner drive models?

I've known people who assume "I have a computer, that is a computer program, therefore it will work on my computer" - next thing you know, they've burned out the processor.

Who installed the burner? If you did it yourself, is the link to the video card set up correctly?

Did you buy DVD Dual Layer discs with your new burner? If so, I doubt ECD/DVDC 6 would be able to do anything with them.

Did either burner come with software? Usually burners come with software the manufacturer feels will work with the burner, altho it is a modified Version of whatever. Often, it will only recognize the burner it comes with and no other. If it doesn't work with THAT software, there is indeed a hardware problem.

My gut feeling is either the computer itself can't support DVD work (which is extremely resource consuming), or there is some kind of problem with the Video Card. (If there is no Video Card, that is very likely the problem - onboard Video is unlikely to have the power for DVD work.)

How about having your friend look it over?

Lynn

To answer your questions:

- I'm sure my friend doesn't have the exact same computer as me, but mine's pretty powerful (Pentium 3.2 GHz processor).

- I installed the burner, and was sure to hook up the wire from the video card to the burner.

- I tried burning DVD+R's

- The software the Samsung DVD burner came with works with it. I just don't know how to go about making IFO, VOB and BUP files for it (Nero), nor how to set up a dvd menu with it.

How do I check what kind of video card I have (I looked in the Device Manager and don't know what it'd be under)?

Also, if I just went ahead and got Roxio ECD/DVDC 8 do you think that would work?

To answer your questions:

- I'm sure my friend doesn't have the exact same computer as me, but mine's pretty powerful (Pentium 3.2 GHz processor).

- I installed the burner, and was sure to hook up the wire from the video card to the burner.

- I tried burning DVD+R's

- The software the Samsung DVD burner came with works with it. I just don't know how to go about making IFO, VOB and BUP files for it (Nero), nor how to set up a dvd menu with it.

How do I check what kind of video card I have (I looked in the Device Manager and don't know what it'd be under)?

Also, if I just went ahead and got Roxio ECD/DVDC 8 do you think that would work?

To check your video card in device manager, look for 'Display adapters'. Right click Properties and look for the mfg. info.

You might also check with Samsung for the latest Firmware. It looks like there's some recent firmware updates there.

Also, please post your complete computer specs.

In "Display Adapters" there's RADEON 9200 SE Secondary and VisionTek XTASY 9200 SE

I'm not all that familiar with which specs to post but I'll do my best:

Windows XP Professional

Version 5.1.2600

Service Pack 2

RAM: 1 GB

Processor: Pentium 4 CPU 3.2GHz (x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1, Speed: 3211 MHz)

Capacity: 127.99GB

Hardware: Video Card, Network Card and USB Controller Supported, but Sound Card not supported

DVD drive: TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S162L

*Another thing is that even when I try to burn CD's in Creator Classic, it says "There are no supported recorders available, etc." but my Drag-to-Disc still works. I updated the firmware, and still got the same message. This was the same message I got with my Sony DVD burner too, but only after I upgraded from ECD&DVD Creator 6 (the yellow CD that came with my Sony) to the ECD&DVD Burning (with the fire and CDs on the install CD).

*Another thing is that even when I try to burn CD's in Creator Classic, it says "There are no supported recorders available, etc." but my Drag-to-Disc still works. I updated the firmware, and still got the same message. This was the same message I got with my Sony DVD burner too, but only after I upgraded from ECD&DVD Creator 6 (the yellow CD that came with my Sony) to the ECD&DVD Burning (with the fire and CDs on the install CD).

Aha!

Drag2Disc is grabbing the burner(s).

Remove the formatted disc, close out D2D or remove it from the start-up menu, and see if that helps.

(No idea why anyone would use any Packet-Writing progaram (Drag2Disc, DirectCD, Nero's InCD, Sonic's DLA, etc) - all it's good for is permantly LOSING the data. I was lucky it turned out I didn't need the 80% of the data on the Packet-Written disc that wasn't also on the Hard Drive.)

Lynn

Aha! is right!!!

After buying (unecessarily) a new dvd burner, buying and returning a ribbon cable, uninstalling and re-installing Nero and Roxio countless times, emailing my techie friend about it like 10 times, talking to the guys at Best Buy and trying all the suggestions posted here, it turns out that all I needed to do was NOT INSTALL Drag-to-Disc. I share your same frustration Lynn, we should violently riot against D2D (Destined 2 Disappointment)! I'm going to name my first born lynn98109.

But seriously, thanks a lot! :)

You're welcome.

But you do deserve a lot of credit for answering the questions. More than once a non-techie has simply raged that it ought to work and refused to answer the kinds of questions that we threw at you. :)

And you're better of without Drag2Disc, anyway. :huh:

Lynn

Archived