• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dvd Record Speed

mr-h

Question

I am trying to burn a DVD with a VHS video already uploaded to the computer. The length of the 'file' is 1 3/4 hours. So, why, after 1 1/2 hours does the 'exporting to dvd' bar show only 34% complete. Does a 2 hour DVD really take nearly 6 hours to write? Is there anyway I can speed it up? I am using '16x' DVDs, should the transfer not have been finished by now?

12 answers to this question

Sorry - How's this -

Advent 6552; Win 7 Professional; Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz 2.17GHz; RAM 3.00 GB; TSST corp CDDVDW TS-L633A ATA Device; Roxio Build 201B23A ENU

Anything else needed? Going to tell me 'with that DVD writer on board you're surprised it's done that fast'? :(

Still trying to read your mind :huh:

If you are using V2D software why are you posting in the Creator 2011 area???

If you have the 2011 SE version, you would be better served by uninstalling the V2D portion and never look back... ;)

V2D is based on modified software from 2007. There is nothing it does that cannot be done better and faster with the 2011 Suite.

In any case, there are 2 separate operations taking place…

The Render, which for you your PC with MyDVD in 2011 should be 1:1 or better.

And the Burn, which will be slightly below the rated burn speed for the Burner, with the media you are using

(edit: if you render & burn at the same time, it is actually slower because the burn only burns a portion then stops to wait on render… then it starts from the very beginning of the disc to find where it stopped and burn the next little piece. Then it starts all over again… that is how optical media works, it can't jump around)

FYI: HQ is the ONLY setting you should ever use with VHS tapes to capture and burn with.

In that case a DVD holds 1 hour for a 4.7 GB or about 2 hours with a 8.5 GB.

If you are trying to pack 1 3/4 hours onto a 4.7 GB DVD that will greatly increase the Render time as it trys to degrade the video to make it small enough to fit that disc ;)

Edited by Jim_Hardin

This might as well have been written in Chinese for all it means to me! :( What is V2D? I don't know if/how I can uninstall part. What is installed came off the installation disk. I have only rendered (if that means copy VHS to PC before anything else), I know (and accept) that that copy to PC is going to be 1:1 speed. My issue is with the burn from PC to DVD speed - which seems to be not 1 minute to burn 4 minutes of video, but 4 minutes to burn 1 of video! The 2 hour video has so far taken 3 1/2 hours and the progress line shows 88%. Perhaps you should know that to burn a CD in the same drive takes just minutes. In your opinion, is my DVD burner not good enough? Would it benefit from being replaced? What sort should I perhaps be looking for please?

OK, so, after opening Roxio Easy VHS to DVD, open Record, Edit, Save and with the VCR running click on the Record button havin amended video name. When that recording has stopped, using the blue bar set trim heads to edit out what I don't want copied to DVD, and then click on white arrow in blue fram at bottom right to move to 'devices' page. Select DVD, clear 'add menu' box, then click on 'Export'. If message recieved that file is too big, click on 'Edit Videos' return to prvious page and carry out more editing, until approx 1hr 45min to 1hr 55min remains to be exorted. Then click on 'export' and go shopping or gardening for 4 hours!

OK...

"V2D" = VHS to DVD

But you do have the Creator 2011 SE suite I asked in Post #4.....

Re-read post #4, everything is in there. Assuming you have the 2011 SE Suite, it would be optional to delete the useless V2D software - up to you.

If you don't really understand what has been written, I suggest you invite someone with computer experance over to go over it with you. Sometimes it takes a different perspective to understand something ;) we all started out there :lol:

Edited by Jim_Hardin

Sorry - what I bought is what is shown in 'all programs', and on my screen shot - 'Roxio Easy VHS to DVD'. It cost me £35 (UK). I have found that Creator 2011 is available in the UK for the same sort of cost. I bought what (I thought) I needed - clearly what it says on the box is NOT what it does. The word 'EASY' does not seem to apply here. Also, going back to your post 4, the reason I am posting here is (again) because the title of this area met (I thought) my requirements - Easy VHS to DVD; where should this post be? I'm not trying to be deliberately argumentative or obstructive, but I don't think this program is very good and I really do consider it a waste of money so far. The handbook is (imo) worse than useless by the way.

Sorry - what I bought is what is shown in 'all programs', and on my screen shot - 'Roxio Easy VHS to DVD'. It cost me £35 (UK). I have found that Creator 2011 is available in the UK for the same sort of cost. I bought what (I thought) I needed - clearly what it says on the box is NOT what it does. The word 'EASY' does not seem to apply here. Also, going back to your post 4, the reason I am posting here is (again) because the title of this area met (I thought) my requirements - Easy VHS to DVD; where should this post be? I'm not trying to be deliberately argumentative or obstructive, but I don't think this program is very good and I really do consider it a waste of money so far. The handbook is (imo) worse than useless by the way.

You originally posted in the Creator 2011 forum which is of course completely different from "VHS to DVD". The whole thread has now been moved to the VHS to DVD forum.

A couple of bits of information.

A standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of video at best quality so if you are trying to squeeze longer video on the DVD it has to be compressed. Since you system is not the fastest it is going to lake some time to convert the video to fit on the DVD. The actual burn should take only a few minutes.

Why not capture les then 60 minutes and try and burn that to a DVD.