• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Blu Ray Alert

NickD

Question

I got a call from a friend of mine, who I talked him into being a Mac user. It seems he also has the same problem that others have. He wanted to burn a collection of one of his favorite TV shows. He first compressed the whole collection and directed to a folder. We clicked on the folder, from file we chose "Get Info" the capacity showed 16.84 BB. When dragged into Toast 10 Pro. Blu Ray selection. He inserted a blank BD i his BD burner. Then dragged the folder into Toast,after it all downloaded. the total at the bottom showed 81.77 GB, after clicking on the red button, a message shows; Too Big to burn. Is there an answer for this behavior?

3 answers to this question

Does he just want the videos on Blu-ray media or is he trying to make a Blu-ray video disc? If the former then burn them as a data disc rather than as a video disc.

If the latter then they likely need to be converted by Toast to meet the Blu-ray spec. What is the format, resolution and frame rate of the source videos?

Does he just want the videos on Blu-ray media or is he trying to make a Blu-ray video disc? If the former then burn them as a data disc rather than as a video disc.

If the latter then they likely need to be converted by Toast to meet the Blu-ray spec. What is the format, resolution and frame rate of the source videos?

Tried your first tip. It burned on a blank BD But player rejected because it lacked A programing.....

On your second tip. In the past he has been successful in burning 41 of their Christmas Collection with menus. Also some old and newer movies. all were ripped, he uses Iskysoft video converter or Prism to compress to MP4 files and all were successful. He wants to put a barney Miller DVD collection (56 Episodes) to Blu Ray after compressing to a folder as I mentioned first. Get Info showed total of 26.42 GBs. when dragged into his Toast 10 pro, a total of 86.GBs were listed at the bottom toast.

I was hoping someone out there could explain the big difference from folder compared to the Toast total. But Thanks for your effort. May someone will know.

Tried your first tip. It burned on a blank BD But player rejected because it lacked A programing.....

On your second tip. In the past he has been successful in burning 41 of their Christmas Collection with menus. Also some old and newer movies. all were ripped, he uses Iskysoft video converter or Prism to compress to MP4 files and all were successful. He wants to put a barney Miller DVD collection (56 Episodes) to Blu Ray after compressing to a folder as I mentioned first. Get Info showed total of 26.42 GBs. when dragged into his Toast 10 pro, a total of 86.GBs were listed at the bottom toast.

I was hoping someone out there could explain the big difference from folder compared to the Toast total. But Thanks for your effort. May someone will know.

Okay, he has some standard-definition mp4 videos he wants to watch using his Blu-ray player. In the Toast video encoder settings window choose MPEG 4 as the format and choose Never re-encode. Try this as a test with just one of the videos so you don't much time on the experiment. Instead of clicking the burn button choose Save as Disc Image. If Toast reports it is multiplexing rather than encoding then the experiment is a success. Go ahead and add all the videos because they won't be re-encoded by Toast. If Toast reports it is encoding the video then I don't have the knowledge to tell you how to proceed. I haven't tried making a Blu-ray disc from standard-definition videos and don't know how Toast manages that.

A different but similar approach would be to first convert the .mp4 videos to MPEG 2 and try the never re-encode option again except with the Toast encoder set to MPEG 2. Toast doesn't have an option to convert video to MPEG 2 but it does it any way when making a regular video DVD. So if you want to try this experiment put one of the .mp4 videos in the Toast Video window with DVD video selected as the format. Now choose Save as Disc Image. When the disc image is finished, mount it using Mount disc image from the Utilities menu. Next, change the Video window setting to Blu-ray. Now choose DVD with the top button of the Toast Media Browser and add whatever appears in the browser window to the main Toast window. Now you've added an mpeg 2 format video. Proceed with Save as Disc Image to see if Toast multiplexes rather than encodes the video. If it encodes then this experiment is something you can forget about.