• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

External Blu Ray Burner Recommendation

Karl 679

Question

3 answers to this question

Can anyone recommend an external blu ray burner that works well with Toast 10?

Last week, I ordered OWCMRF8BDSD12X, $219.99 each from macsales.com (Other World Computing).

OWC Mercury Pro 12X Blu-Ray+DVD/CD Burner FireWire 800/400, USB 2.0, eSATA Solution. Up to 12X Blu-Ray, 16X DVD, and 40X CD Burn Speeds. Includes: 2 Pieces 25GB 4x Single Layer Media in Jewel, Connecting Cables. 1yr OWC Warranty.

It arrived in 3 days, came with all cables (I used Firewire800 to 27" Core i5 iMac), and successfully burned a 2h17m (21GB) 720p High Def iMovie to the included Quantum Optimum 4x Blu-Ray media.

(Panasonic ZS3->iMovie->Share->MediaBrowser-720p (couple hours), then Toast->MediaBrowser->iMovie->burnToImage (hour or two), then dragged the dot toast image to Toast:Copy->BURN button (about 10 minutes) = test Blu-Ray disc.

I was worried that the "Current write speed" varied between 5x and 8x, with the "Average write speed" varying between 4x and 6x, but the disk played great in my Samsung BluRay player to 55" HDTV.

Fun.