• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Videowave Won't Trim Mpg Files

Brian from OKC

Question

I downloaded Creator 2011 a couple of weeks ago. I've imported files from DVDs, edited files, even burned a DVD with no problems. But now I've found something I hadn't encountered yet: Videowave won't trim MPG files. I can add MPGs to the production, and I can even PLAY them in the main VW window, but I can't TRIM them. The Trim window opens up just fine, but instead of showing the first frame of the clip like usual, it shows black. When I press Play in the Trim window, nothing happens -- the clock doesn't start running, and the frame doesn't advance. I can pull the blue cursor back and forth across the timeline, but the frame stays black and never changes, and if I press Play the blue cursor doesn't move. VW never freezes; at any point, I am able to click "Cancel" and return to the production, and even PLAY the MPG clip again if I want to.

I've done some trouble-shooting of my own, and found a few things...

* The file size doesn't matter (I've tried clips < 10 minutes long).

* I can trim MP4 and AVI files just fine, but not MPG files. I experimented with several different files of each type and always had those results.

* I can put an MP4, an AVI, and a MPG into the same production together, and VW will let me trim the MP4 & AVI, but not the MPG.

* I've tried using the Scissors icon at the top of the screen, the scissors icon immediately right of the "Storyline/Timeline/Internal" buttons, AND right-clicking on the clip & choosing "trim". They all led to the same result.

* Strangely, if I press "set start", the Start clock moves from 00:00:00:00 to -00:00:00:29. If I click "set end", the End clock moves from 00:00:00:00 to -00:00:00:19. They move to those same exact places for all MPG clips.

* I just imported some of these MPGs last week, using Creator 2011, so it's even more surprising that I can't trim them.

Anyone ever heard of this problem? Any advice?

Thanks

Brian, Oklahoma City

19 answers to this question

... something wrong with your mpg files??? :glare:

Quick test, run one through Video Copy and Convert:

post-39730-000475100 1305799355.jpg

Output it as an MPG:

post-39730-066263500 1305798778.jpg

While you are in VCC, try it's Trim function on your original:

post-39730-046859000 1305798782.jpg

post-39730-024662900 1305798784.jpg

It is a different program and I am curious how it will behave with the same files?

In any case, try the newly created mpg in VideoWave and see how it performs ;)

Thanks Jim, I've taken your advice and it had interesting results. First, I WAS able to trim my original MPG in VCC, which is good news. But then I went back into VW, and the same file still will not trim there. Second, after I converted the old MPG to a new MPG, I was NOT able to trim the new MPG in VW. The plot thickens.

No luck. Everything's up to date (just bought the PC a month ago, but I checked anyway). 2 hitches:

(1) I couldn't track down the file I downloaded from Roxio, so for the re-install attempt, I just went to Control Panel, Remove/Repair, and picked Repair.

(2) During the repair, I got a message "You are trying to use a network resource that is unavailable" and couldn't find something called CP.MSI. I ignored that and it said "Repair completed successfully".

If I can find the original download, I'll try a complete uninstall/re-install.

The Updates are just Good Practices ;)

The Really, really Important part is shutting down your Start Up items, AV in particular

Win7 has a place where it Normally stores downloads:

post-39730-016538900 1306065127.jpg

Check there for “Roxio” or “Creator” and you could just search your HDD for those words…

Once you locate it, I would use the Prep Steps, and perform an uninstall!

Then do an install.

As soon as you get Creator up and running, be sure you Burn a DVD with a copy of your download!

Well, I uninstalled Roxio and all components. Then I re-downloaded the app anew, and saved it so I'll know exactly where it is from now on. Re-installed Creator, re-installed SP1. No effect... still can't trim MPGs.

The only time I deviated from the norm was when I opted NOT to download the Content -- just the app. I guess I could try it again, and include the content, but that doesn't seem like it should make any difference (?)

Also, back in the days of EMC9 I found a set of instructions that would completely wipe Roxio from the machine after an uninstall -- digging into my reg keys, manually deleting folders that get left behind, everything. If there's a similar set of instructions for Creator2011, maybe that'd be worth a shot. Today I just uninstalled and re-installed. (And yes I did go into msconfig and disable startup.)

I appreciate your help. Can you keep it coming 'til we get this figured out?

I've found one more clue. In the Trim window, if I rotate the little "start" or "end" buttons on the upper-left and -right, Videowave DOES remember where I leave them. For example, on my 37-minute MPG I can scroll the Start to 00:00:03:08 and scroll the End to 00:36:12:17, click OK, and the clip retains those Start & End points.

So the view box is still black, and the blue cursor still does nothing, but the Start and End windows work. Of course, this isn't a good permanent solution, because rotating those little buttons through large video clips isn't feasible, but hopefully this will give us a clue to what's going on.

I've found one more clue. In the Trim window, if I rotate the little "start" or "end" buttons on the upper-left and -right, Videowave DOES remember where I leave them. For example, on my 37-minute MPG I can scroll the Start to 00:00:03:08 and scroll the End to 00:36:12:17, click OK, and the clip retains those Start & End points.

So the view box is still black, and the blue cursor still does nothing, but the Start and End windows work. Of course, this isn't a good permanent solution, because rotating those little buttons through large video clips isn't feasible, but hopefully this will give us a clue to what's going on.

Have you tried the Split and delete method of trimming video?

The only time I use Trim if I need to remove 10 or less frames from the beginning or end of a clip. For all other cases I use the split and delete method.

OK, so there probably isn’t anything wrong with the program, let’s look at your PC.

Specifically your Video Card/Chip and current version of the software for it… Also what video resolution & settings are you running? (

List out the rest of the specs like you see in our signature blocks.

Device Manager > Display adapters > ATI Radeon HD 5450. Driver date is 11/9/2010. Driver version is 8.792.0.0 and Windows says the software for my driver is up to date.

Control panel > Appearance and personalization > Display > Screen resolution is 1920x1200. Display is 1.HH281.

Dell Inspiron 580, Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit OS)

Intel Core i5 760 2.80GHz w/ 8.00 GB RAM

Also I'll study up on Split-and-delete.

Device Manager > Display adapters > ATI Radeon HD 5450. Driver date is 11/9/2010. Driver version is 8.792.0.0 and Windows says the software for my driver is up to date.

Control panel > Appearance and personalization > Display > Screen resolution is 1920x1200. Display is 1.HH281.

Dell Inspiron 580, Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit OS)

Intel Core i5 760 2.80GHz w/ 8.00 GB RAM

Also I'll study up on Split-and-delete.

Perhaps this tutorial I made for EMC 8,9, 10 will help. It is the same process in Creator 2011.

You also have the option of using scenes if you have a long video and a lot to cut.. Another video.

Thanks... updated the driver. I still wonder why the machine told me there was no update available, but that's a whole different thread. Unfortunately it didn't make any difference. Still can't trim MPGs. Am I the only person having this problem? Weird.

To do things RIGHT, you have to do them for yourself… ;)

“Windows Updates” are foremost for Windows not for other applications.

Video Card updates are almost a Monthly affair, bookmark the site and check it for yourself around the first of the month:

I'll resurrect this once more... I just flashed back to my days with Creator 9. Every time I did an uninstall/reinstall, and tried to launch VideoWave for the first time (or was it DVD Builder?), i would be prompted to update an MPEG-2 codec or something. Sorry it's vague -- been a couple of years. I would click OK, and a black box would appear from the center of the screen, then quickly expand to the corners, then contract back to a single pixel, then expand again. It would do that for about 15 seconds and then I was good to go.

I don't even know what a "Codec" is. Might I have an outdated one?

Thanks for everyone's help on this. This might be my last attempt at a fix. I've adopted the Split-and-Delete strategy, but it leaves something to be desired. It sometimes won't split because the resulting blocks would be too small. I definitely prefer VW's Trim window, if I could get it to work.

I have the same problem with creator 2009 since a week (maybe a bit longer, but I hadn't used the program for a few months :rolleyes: )

Somethings different though.... I can't trim ANY files (not AVI, not Mpeg, NOTHING :angry2: )

MistTy, Please don't double post. You already have a thread going and an answer to your issue.