• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

How Do I Get Roxio To Recognize My Sony Camcorder

bethsen

Question

I have downloaded my child's film taken on our Sony DVD handycam and can download through Picture Package and then import into Roxio advance video editor, but it is clipping off a little bit of the end of each clip. How can I get it to import the entire clip (I did the convert audio file before importing)? Or how can I get Roxio to recognize my camcorder, it is only recognizing the webcam we have connected. Thank you for any advice possible. It is a school project due Monday and I'm pulling my hair out right now!

7 answers to this question

Jim, It sounds like they have it connected via USB. The program would see it as a web cam but then they should see two web cams.

If it is a digital camcorder that uses tapes; it must be connected using firewire. If it a camcorder that uses any kind of memory, the camcorder should be seen by Windows as an external device - hard drive, or memory stick. If it is a DVD, it may have to be finalized in the camcorder and then put into the optical drive to be read and copied to the computer.

bethsen must have had to be doing something important because she said she has a deadline but never came back to tell us what kind/model the camcorder is.

Sony has made hundreds of camcorders! Got a make and model?

What is "Picture Package"??? If your not using Roxio, that is probably where your problem it. ;)

Dear Gentlemen,

Yes, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you on the 21st, but I had to log off after an hour and get on to the million other things going on with a family of 5 and new puppy. At any rate, I have spent many hours online with Sony....which by the way is where Picture Package comes from . It is the software that comes with the camcorder in order to download, edit...your videos which has never really worked well or correctly no matter how many times they add codecs and such online with me. I am, however, able to download the videos off of my Sony Handycam DCR-DVD405 through it and view them. I was able to import them into Roxio Creator 2010 and use the advanced video editing section where music, credits and special effects were completed. The problem I was having was that the clips were all clipped by about 1 or 2 seconds. We made it work and completed the project even with the abrupt end to the clips because we had to get it done.

The bigger problem started even after I first sent this message to you. We have a completed project in Roxio and simply cannot get it to burn to a CD or a DVD that will play on our DVD players. It just keeps saying error encoding does not complete. I finally got a copy that plays on our computer by copying through the "data copy section", but it will not play on the school's system. Ugh!!!!!! I am so frustrated with all of this supposed "easy" technology.

If you have any advice on why we also could never get Roxio itself to recognize the camera (it would only go to Picture Package) that would be great. It was connected through a USB cord to the camera.

Thank you

Dear Gentlemen,

Yes, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you on the 21st, but I had to log off after an hour and get on to the million other things going on with a family of 5 and new puppy. At any rate, I have spent many hours online with Sony....which by the way is where Picture Package comes from . It is the software that comes with the camcorder in order to download, edit...your videos which has never really worked well or correctly no matter how many times they add codecs and such online with me. I am, however, able to download the videos off of my Sony Handycam DCR-DVD405 through it and view them. I was able to import them into Roxio Creator 2010 and use the advanced video editing section where music, credits and special effects were completed. The problem I was having was that the clips were all clipped by about 1 or 2 seconds. We made it work and completed the project even with the abrupt end to the clips because we had to get it done.

The bigger problem started even after I first sent this message to you. We have a completed project in Roxio and simply cannot get it to burn to a CD or a DVD that will play on our DVD players. It just keeps saying error encoding does not complete. I finally got a copy that plays on our computer by copying through the "data copy section", but it will not play on the school's system. Ugh!!!!!! I am so frustrated with all of this supposed "easy" technology.

If you have any advice on why we also could never get Roxio itself to recognize the camera (it would only go to Picture Package) that would be great. It was connected through a USB cord to the camera.

Thank you

If that Sony camcorder records to DVDs then there is no need to use Roxio at all for getting the video to your hard drive. There is no "capturing" necessar. Simply copy the video from the DVD to your hard drive.

As to your problem with burning your project to a DVD, you have not supplied any information on how you created the project . A step by step description would help. You cannot just "data copy" video files to a DVD and expect to play them on a DVD player. You have to use myDVD to author a DVD that can be played.

How long in time is your project?

Edited by myguggi

Walt, as you said, the camcorder records to a DVD -- or a memory stick.. I assume the stick is for images only. Yes, I'd be interested in how bethson made the DVD. The OP seems to have made a data disc and not a video disc.

bethsen, somewhere around page 38 of your manual, there are directions to finalize the disc. If you do that; it becomes a standard DVD which you should be able to copy to a folder on your computer. Look in that folder and you may find some vob files (or other extensions) that will be the actual video. Open Video Wave and add the video files to it.

Do not record in the VR mode if you have other options. Chances are that you will not be editing the disc in the camcorder anyway.

The section about using the camcorder and a computer seems almost to be an advertisement for the software. It is not very helpful.

The very first order of business is slow down! :lol:

There are always several was of doing the same thing, but I am going to take you through the way that I would use…

For your Camcorder:

You should be using DVD+RW media in your camcorder for pain free transfers ;) (pg 28)

(also get a disc or 2 of DVD+RW in 4.7 GB size for testing & learning – recommend Verbatim or Sony)

Likewise set the recording format to VIDEO MODE! (pg29)

(if you used –R or –RW media, and/or VR Mode for recording, not a problem)

Record all you want and when ready to transfer to your PC, Finalize the disc (pg 38 in your manual)

(these discs can be erased and reused by your camcorder – pg 62)

In Roxio, open Edit Video-Advanced (VideoWave) and insert your mini disc in your PC drive.

Click on Add Photo/Video and point it to any .VOB file in your DVD’s VIDEO_TS folder:

post-39730-043474100 1306672368.jpg

post-39730-064729600 1306672370.jpg

Select the full movie for import:

post-39730-040014400 1306672373.jpg

VideoWave is your Editor, but for now just go to MyDVD:

post-39730-064209400 1306672377.jpg

Change Quality to High Quality and Burn it to a RW disc:

{should HQ not fit your content, use Fit to Disc just this one time)

post-39730-083671300 1306672379.jpg

See how that works in your players???

I want you to do a successful burn from start to finish to see how it gets done. Then we will go back and fix up what you have. ;)