• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Importing VHS, DVD While editing to burn to DVD

sp_ceboy

Question

java script:emoticon(':)',%20'smid_8')

I am so confused. I have been reading advice and trying to implement it but all I find myself doing is purchasing more equipment and software and confused about how to use it.

By Monday Midnight I have to Edit record and burn 25 2 hour vhs tapes and 12 dvd+rw discs that came from VHS.

I downloaded the MPEG Streamlline and upgraded quicktime $20.00 a can't figure out how to import dvd+rw video into MPEG Streamline.

I need a very efficient and very clear video wizard's help. I have been up for 18 hours trying to figure this stuff out.

I want to be able to edit while pulling the next video in at the same time. Then I have to make 2 copies of each

Here's my setup.

Hardware: 1.MacMini Duo Core w/ 1 Gig ram (brand new user) 2. Ads Tech Pyro a/v link analog to dv converter w/ firewire 3.Western Digital External Harddrive 4. VHS Player 5. TrueTech DVD Recorder (stand lone unit, not really reliable.

Software: 1. Toast 7 with new upgrade 2. iDVD 3.iMovie w iLife 06 4. MPEG streamclip 1.7 5.DC30 Xact Drover 1.6.1 (isn't working I get a preference error) 6.Quicktime upgrade

Please help.

Many thanks.

John

3 answers to this question

Thank you for your answers. I have run into a little problem. When the video was previously recorded on the dvd recorder there were chapter markers put in every five minutes by default. I tried shift clicking each individual file to bring them all in at once but when I go to open them all into streamclip the MPEG files will go but there are these Media Browser files that will not. Also if I pull all the MPEG files in, will they go in in order?

John

Thank you for your answers. I have run into a little problem. When the video was previously recorded on the dvd recorder there were chapter markers put in every five minutes by default. I tried shift clicking each individual file to bring them all in at once but when I go to open them all into streamclip the MPEG files will go but there are these Media Browser files that will not. Also if I pull all the MPEG files in, will they go in in order?

John

Toast writes two files to the converted items folder for each MPEG it extracts. One of them is for Toast's use and you should ignore it. The other is the MPEG that streamclip can work with.

I suggest dragging the entire title from the Media Browser to the Video window rather than the individual chapters. You access the title level using the lower button in the Media browser to go up one level in the heirarchy. The problem with dragging in the individual chapters is it creates a separate MPEG file for each chapter and you'll need other software to put them back together again. Also Streamclip can work with only one file at a time so you're right to be concerned about getting them out of order. The only reason to extract an individual chapter (in my opinion) is when you know that all the video you want is within that chapter.

By the way, when Toast authors and burns the new video DVD it will automatically add chapters every five minutes in your edited video.

I'm not sure where to start. Apparently everything is working okay for you with the 25 2-hour VHS tapes you captured with the Pyro and only need help with the videos on the DVD+RW discs. Is that correct.

In order for Streamclip to see the DVD+RW discs they had to be recorded in video mode and finalized on the recorder. If they are you just open the first VOB of each title set in Streamclip. An example is VTS_01_1.VOB. If there are more titles the second one starts with VTS_02_1.VOB. Streamclip will ask if you want to open just a single VOB or the entire set; you want the entire set.

If not, Toast can save the day. Insert the DVD+RW, select the Toast Video window, choose DVD video as the source and click the Media button at the top left to enter the Media Browser. Choose DVD with the top button. In a few seconds the inserted disc will appear in the window below. Now go down one level with the lower button. The titles burned to the disc appear. Select and drag the titles to the Video window. Toast extracts the MPEGs from the disc and writes them to the Roxio Converted Items folder that's in your Documents folder. (Don't quit Toast or the contents of that folder gets automatically erased unless you change the default in Toast preferences).

Once an MPEG is extracted, go to the Roxio Converted Items folder. Control-click on the MPEG file and choose Open With... MPEG Streamclip. You now can use Streamclip to cut or trim sections of the MPEG you want to delete. When you are done choose Convert to MPEG from the File menu and save the MPEG to a new location.

Since you don't want the unedited version in Toast, select it in the Video window and press the delete key. Now drag in the edited version that you want to burn to a new video DVD.

What else do you need help with.

Archived