Can't See Mpg Files And Auto Scene Detect Not Working

DianeC

Question

I keep running into trouble. My footage is in m2ts or mts format. If I import with Roxio it stores it as mts.

If I import from the camera using the Sony PMB it stores it as m2ts files.

First, I was bent on getting the Scene detection to work and it complained that the format needed to be transcoded into another format but it didn't say what format.

Can someone tell me what formats scene detection will work on?

I exported the mts to mp4 and then was able to run the auto detect, but then when I click OK, the pop up with the scenes doesn't come up and I can't find any scenes anywhere.

I then did a convert of an m2ts file to mpg2 using instructions I found here and when I try to preview it, I can't see the video. It is all black. When I cancel, it all goes grey and then I get a Video wave error saying that the program had to close because an error was encountered.

Any suggestions? I just want to be able to edit a bunch of footage quickly and I'd also like the software to work properly! Very frustrating!

Edited by DianeC
  • Like 1

17 answers to this question

I upgraded my NVIDIA driver to the latest and greatest download direct from NVIDIA... and still no luck with the MPGs and scene detection.

ok... I thought I would just try to edit an mts file in Videowave with timeline.... I used the split function... and added transitions... then played it...

THEN..... Videowave crashed... I had switched to storyline to insert transitions... and had inserted a transition before the first scene so that there was an empty scene before the first one...

When I clicked on the first empty scene... that is when Videowave crashed.... and windows closed the program. YIKES!!!

Is there something wrong with my installation or is the program just buggy?

thanks

Diane

Try setting your camcorder to FX record setting and take a few short scenes with that setting. Then see how they work…

The PS records at 28 Mbps and that may be causing troubles…

If this “fixes” it, then we can discuss your options for converting what you already have ;)

That camcorder model, HDR-CX550, indicates it is a product only sold in Latin America??? Is that correct?

Try setting your camcorder to FX record setting and take a few short scenes with that setting. Then see how they work…

The PS records at 28 Mbps and that may be causing troubles…

If this "fixes" it, then we can discuss your options for converting what you already have ;)

That camcorder model, HDR-CX550, indicates it is a product only sold in Latin America??? Is that correct?

Hi Jim,

The Sony is an HDR-CX550V, I left the V off... I bought it at Best Buy.

There is one STD (standard def) and four HD settings on the camera ( LP, HQ, FH and FX).

With FX there is a warning that you "Cannot Dub HD movies that have been filmed on HD FX to an AVCHD disc. Cannot record still images while recording movies." I am currently recording in HQ.

The manual also says:

Movies are recorded in 1920x1080/60i when in FX or FH mode.

When in HQ or LP mode movies are recorded with 1440x1080/60i format.

Movies are recorded in MPEG-2 format when Standard Image quality is selected.

Additionally, it says:

HD FX is AVC HD 24Mbps

HD FH is AVC HD 17Mbps

HD HQ is AVC HD 9Mbps

HD LP is AVC HD 5Mbps

STD HQ is STD 9Mbps

I'll try what you said and report back.

I don't really understand why Roxio would have trouble with the mts file if it was able to cut the footage and add transitions etc. Everything seems to be working up until the Videowave crashes.... but perhaps that is the point where it barfs on the file.

The MPG issue is another case. Is there a "known good" mgp file that I can use to test?

My goal is to have Roxio working by the end of this Memorial day weekend so I can get to work on making some home movies! :)

If I need to re-install, I'm fine with giving that a try too.

Thanks!

diane

Edited by DianeC

That helps, I must have missread the specs... try the new test using the FH mode...

It is not uncommon for editors to have trouble with the high bit rates. You will notice in your manual that it warns you cannot create an AVCHD disc if recorded in FX mode.

And yet is seems a little hit or miss :huh: Myself and others have had mixed reactions using those higher settings.

You could shoot it in both FX as well as FH mode and play it on your TV. See if you can tell any difference ;)

But in any case, Please run the tests so we will know if we are even on the right track+ :o

Sony HDR-CX550V HD-FX Test Results

-----------------------------------------------------------

Note my comments/questions are in brackets like this [<-- ??]

Steps followed:

1) Took 13 seconds of film in HD-FX setting.

Imported using Roxio Media Import to file name SonyHD00195.mts

Imported file shows up in Videowave with Info indicating 34.22MB and Frame size of 1920x1088 [ <-- Why not 1080?]

Preview of clip plays fine.

2) Convert to MPEG-2 Test

Roxio Copy/Convert to Video/Custom... MPEG2/720x480/NTSC/8000kbps [<-- why not 9000?]

Double click to Open file in Videowave to preview.

Result = preview pane pops and shows grey box where video should be. Same as before.

3) Attempt Videowave edit of MTS file in Time series view.

Click on Add Photo/Video

Choose MTS file.

Result = Application stops... windows dim/become grey and inactive. Hour glass is turning... click on window and popup says:

"VideoWave has stopped working.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

The window also has a "close program" button.

We KNOW the FX causes trouble!

We need to know if the FH runs smoothly ;)

OR... use Drag and Drop Convert. Set the Video to output as I have shown here:

post-39730-053930200 1306767391.jpg

Make Note of where it will send the file!!!!! (or change it)

And give that a try.

Edited by Jim_Hardin

I think changing to FH will be your Long Term Solution, but converting your FX files will get you what you need for now ;)

I don't have Sony so I used one of my Canon files that is known to cause trouble and tested it with SyncIt!. So I am hoping it will work with your Sony files too.

I think changing to FH will be your Long Term Solution, but converting your FX files will get you what you need for now ;)

I don't have Sony so I used one of my Canon files that is known to cause trouble and tested it with SyncIt!. So I am hoping it will work with your Sony files too.

HAHA! I think our posts passed each other. I'll try it with FH now. And also try SyncIt!

The videos I was originally having trouble with are in HD-HQ mode.

Do you happen to have a list of formats that are known to work in Roxio?

For example, formats, resolutions and bit rates?

Will be back with FH/SuncIt results.

There is no such list and it isn't practical as I have described...

You shoot to your anticipated use for final output. If all you will ever do is a DVD there is no point is shooting HD.

If you plan on outputing to BD then 1920 X 1080 is what you want to use, whereas HD HQ is a compromise because it drops to 1440...

I am trying to get you up and running with what you have already shot.

HAHA! I think our posts passed each other. I'll try it with FH now. And also try SyncIt!

The videos I was originally having trouble with are in HD-HQ mode.

Do you happen to have a list of formats that are known to work in Roxio?

For example, formats, resolutions and bit rates?

Will be back with FH/SuncIt results.

OK.. i took the MTS file (produced by Roxio media import from the Sony camera video file taken in FX mode) and droped that into SyncIt! with the options you specified (H.264/AVC 29.97fps/1920x1080) and it produced an mp4 file.

I was able to preview that file in VideoWave and I WAS ALSO able to run scene detection !!!!!

The Scene detection is strange since it creates the Scene_000 through Scene_XXX and shows it in the media selector and I am able to drag and drop into storyline from there... but if I don't do it immediately... and navigate away from that view... I have to go into scene detection again to find them again... there is no arrow on the main mpg4 file that allows me to get to the files again... unless I'm missing something.

I will now create a video file using FH mode.... and import that and see what happens.

OK.. i took the MTS file (produced by Roxio media import from the Sony camera video file taken in FX mode) and droped that into SyncIt! with the options you specified (H.264/AVC 29.97fps/1920x1080) and it produced an mp4 file.

I was able to preview that file in VideoWave and I WAS ALSO able to run scene detection !!!!!

The Scene detection is strange since it creates the Scene_000 through Scene_XXX and shows it in the media selector and I am able to drag and drop into storyline from there... but if I don't do it immediately... and navigate away from that view... I have to go into scene detection again to find them again... there is no arrow on the main mpg4 file that allows me to get to the files again... unless I'm missing something.

I will now create a video file using FH mode.... and import that and see what happens.

The trick is here:

post-58-066996800 1306772968.jpg

OK... I was just navigating to the new file that I just imported and didn't even get to it... I was in Media Selector, changed to Folder mode to navigate to my import folder... and POOF! Greyed out windows and the popup saying "VideoWave has stopped working...etc."....

Do I do a re-install? This didn't have anything to do with the new file did it? I hadn't even gotten to it yet....

Just FYI, your Sony makes files with the MTS extension… It is not Roxio or anything else that does that. Those are ready to go video files and are merely copied from your camcorder to your HDD. You can use Windows Explorer and do it yourself ;)

A Repair Install could not hurt anything, but let’s do it the right way:

Do the Prep Steps to the letter!

Then start to install of the Suite, only pick Repair when it is offered.

OK... continuing... after having to close VideoWave due to the crash, I then used Roxio import to import the newly created FH mode video from the camera.

First... THANK YOU JIM!!! :)

I am learning a lot eventhough it is frustrating... :)

I am really hoping that I can get the software working without crashing... because I am liking what I'm seeing as far as the functionality of the software (if it doesn't crash!:))...

So here is another question... What formats can Roxio do "scene detection" upon?

Evidently not mts files! :) And I know now that mp4 files work.

I now have an imported FH mode file... in mts format.

I will now try to edit it directly... in Timeline and SToryline.

1) I can preview the file.

2)I can add the file to VideoWave and Split it in Timeline and add transitions and save the production.

3) From VideoWave I can Output/Export the production.... I kept the defaults that were presented.... NTSC/AVCHD 1920x1080/24p

and it saved it as an mp4 file.

4) I can then preview that file in Videowave...

5) I then tried to do Scene Selection on that mp4 file and was able to manually seclect scenes...but when clicking OK it doesn't show the scenes.

I did all of the above without a crash.. but not sure why it crashed before... since I hadn't even had a file imported yet.

The one time I've seen scene detect work so far was on the mp4 file produced by SyncIt.

That file was at 29.97fps and 4280kbps the one above says it is 24fps and 13688 kbps

Both were 1920x1080 and Compression Sonic AVC/H.264 Video Decoder.

6) Now converting FH mts file using syncIT... that worked.

quick question... is there a way to drag the file from VideoWave to the drop zone or do you have to use windows explorer?

7) New converted file (mp4 with 29.97fps (sames as Jim indicated to do before).... Perform Scene detection... Scene detection completes and after clicking OK... My scenes show up in My Media tab in Media Selector.

Edited by DianeC

I never knew that -_-

While I do not dismiss its' usefulness, I have yet to ever use it for any project and I have been at this since 2003...

The digital camcorder already create "scenes" because a New File (mts) is created for each and ever Record/Stop cycle. Unless you just hit record and set the camcorder down, scenes pretty well take care of themselves.

What is a drop zone? Last one I saw required a parachute :lol:

If you mean within VideoWave, first click the little arrow to open up the dispay to Scenes:

post-39730-084382400 1306779863.jpg

Then pick the one you want and drag it over, Scene_0003 in this example:

post-39730-061613200 1306779866.jpg

Keep in mind you have a Timeline as well as Storyline view and each has its' own usefullness. Bounce between them as needed!

Hi Jim,

Thanks again for your help! :)

RE the Drop Zone... I was referring to the drop zone in the SyncIt! converter... wondering if one could drag from the VideoWave Media Selector to SyncIt instead of having to use the windows explorer window. I figured it out and was able to drag and drop from media selector... you just can't have VideoWave in full screen mode! :)

Thanks for confirming my suspicion about copying the mts files directly from the camera.

What confused me was that the the Sony comes with software called PMB and it also has an "import" but it saves the files onto the local HD with an m2ts extension, so I was confused as to what it was doing to the files if anything when PMB or Roxio "imported".

RE Not being able to see the Scenes.... I had my listing of files in Media Selector set to details so I wasn't able to see the little arrow in the lower right of the thumbnail. After viewing as Thumbnails I can now click on it and see the "scenes"!!!! Yay!

Before doing a re-install, I'm going to convert some of my footage to mp4s at the 29.97 fps and see if I can do some editing without VideoWave crashing. I'll post the results... but it might not be today!

Edited by DianeC

I figured it out and was able to drag and drop from media selector... you just can't have VideoWave in full screen mode! :)

If you want to keep VW open at full screen you should be able to drag the file down to the conversion utility on the task bar and before you let go, the utility will come forward on top of VW. Don't let go but just keep dragging to the 'drop' zone.