• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Toast 10 Burning Incomplete Dvds From Tivo Files

GeorgeO

Question

Hi-

Having a strange problem. Have transferred Tivo content to my Mac using Tivo Transfer. These are 2 hour plus sporting events I want to archive to DVD. Everything plays back fine on Toast Video Player. If I edit the file, everything plays back fine in Toast Video Player.

However, when burning to DVD, the burn is incomplete, without any error notice. Oddly, the burns are either 38 minutes or 109 minutes (give or take a few minutes), even if the original content is 2 hours.

This incomplete burn happens whether or not I edit the files, and/or make a disc image. I've tried trashing plists, restarting, changing brands of DVD-R, etc. with no change.

Very frustrating - I've trashed a lot of DVD-Rs and spent many hours on this.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Mac OS 10.6.7

Toast 10.0.8

3 answers to this question

This is a bug in the editor of the Toast Video Player. The only workaround I've found is to use MPEG Streamclip to edit the video instead of the Toast Video Player or to upgrade to Toast 11 which does the editing in an entirely different way. In order to use MPEG Streamclip you first must remove the .tivo wrapper so it becomes a .mpeg (or .mpg) file. I use a tool called TiVo Decoder to do that. MPEG Streamclip also requires Apple's $20 QuickTime MPEG 2 Playback Component.

I believe this bug didn't exist in Toast 10.0.3 or earlier. If you have an earlier copy of Toast 10 you might try using it instead. You can have multiple versions of Toast on your Mac at the same time.

Thanks. I appreciate the info. I did not have the issue until upgrading above 10.0.0, so that may tell the tale. Of course I didn't keep the older version, so I'll try some of the options you suggest.

So you've not heard of the problem when using Toast 11?

Thanks. I appreciate the info. I did not have the issue until upgrading above 10.0.0, so that may tell the tale. Of course I didn't keep the older version, so I'll try some of the options you suggest.

So you've not heard of the problem when using Toast 11?

Toast 11 no longer uses the Toast Video Player (now renamed the Roxio Video Player) as an editor. Instead, a special edit window opens when you start to add the video to Toast. Hopefully there are other reasons you'd benefit from the upgrade to Toast 11. However, keep your Toast 10 version of CD Spin Doctor if you do upgrade. The new Spin Doctor X needs lots of "refinement." Also, if you are in the habit of playing your TiVo videos using the Toast Video Player keep it around, too, because the new Roxio Video Player stutters if you try to scroll the playhead. I'm believe Roxio will get that fixed but for now it, too, needs some work. And Toast 11 does not include Streamer so keep that if it is something you use.