• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Very Disappointed With Roxio 2010

davestafford

Question

Roxio 10 wasted about four precious hours for me last night, as I made countless attempts to extract audio from an unprotected DVD.

I followed a ROXIO procedure by the letter, waited an hour for the tracks to extract - and when they did, the resulting wav files were just sheets of high level white noise, with a TINY music component far in the background at about -80 db

So - rather than waste MORE time trying procedures that maybe aren't quite what they should be - can anyone tell me, the EXACT, step by step procedure to extract WAV audio data from a DVD ????????

I would be forever in your debt. I hate following instructions, carefully, step by step, and ending up with garbage/rubbish/destroyed files.

Please help me, I know this is a routine task, it SHOULD be easy, but maybe I followed the WRONG Roxio instructions. Because they CAME from Roxio, I assumed they would work.

I'm at work so don't have them in front of me, but roughly speaking:

1) Open the Create Music CD window

2) Browse to the DVD, open up the chapters, highlight the chapters you want

3) Hit save, then select your target folder and audio options (in this case, I want WAV audio)

4) Press go, and wait a long, long time, as Roxio sweats and struggles and the DVD groans and groans....hours later, go to your "wav files", open one, and be TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED to find just noise, no music

These tracks are bonus AUDIO tracks - they HAVE NO VIDEO component. So this is not a case where I am trying to extract audio where there is none. It's a case of having a tool that SHOULD be up to the job, but doesn't seem to be for some bizarre reason....

PLEASE ADVISE.

To cut to the chase, post here please - all I want is a DVD audio rip procedure for Roxio 10 that WORKS!

thanks everyone, I really appreciate it!

dave

www.pureambient.com

twitter @pureambient

Edited by davestafford

11 answers to this question

These tracks are bonus AUDIO tracks - they HAVE NO VIDEO component.

Sounds like a bought commercial DVD to me?

What format are the audio tracks in?

Who made the disc?

Are you using Easy Media Creator 10 or Roxio Creator 2010?

Roxio 10 wasted about four precious hours for me last night, as I made countless attempts to extract audio from an unprotected DVD.

I followed a ROXIO procedure by the letter, waited an hour for the tracks to extract - and when they did, the resulting wav files were just sheets of high level white noise, with a TINY music component far in the background at about -80 db

So - rather than waste MORE time trying procedures that maybe aren't quite what they should be - can anyone tell me, the EXACT, step by step procedure to extract WAV audio data from a DVD ????????

I would be forever in your debt. I hate following instructions, carefully, step by step, and ending up with garbage/rubbish/destroyed files.

Please help me, I know this is a routine task, it SHOULD be easy, but maybe I followed the WRONG Roxio instructions. Because they CAME from Roxio, I assumed they would work.

3) Hit save, then select your target folder and audio options (in this case, I want WAV audio)

4) Press go, and wait a long, long time, as Roxio sweats and struggles and the DVD groans and groans....hours later, go to your "wav files", open one, and be TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED to find just noise, no music

These tracks are bonus AUDIO tracks - they HAVE NO VIDEO component. So this is not a case where I am trying to extract audio where there is none. It's a case of having a tool that SHOULD be up to the job, but doesn't seem to be for some bizarre reason....

PLEASE ADVISE.

To cut to the chase, post here or email me directly on *************** - all I want is a DVD audio rip procedure for Roxio 10 that WORKS!

thanks everyone, I really appreciate it!

dave

First of all what software package do you really have? There is no program called Roxio 10. There is the 4 year/version old Easy Media Creator 10 (EMC 10) and there is the 2 year/version old Roxio Creator 2010. There are many differences between the two versions so hyou have to be correct in your program naming.

If those audio clips are not part of the video then they should be separate files on the DVD. Can't you just copy them to your hard drive using Windows Explorer?

Perhaps if you were to list the files/folders on that DVD it might help.

The method you describe is for extracting the audio from video so it will of course not work for strictly audio tracks.

You should also remove your e-mail address unless you want to receive a lot of junk mail

Edited by myguggi

Sounds like a bought commercial DVD to me?

What I actually have here, are several deluxe CD + DVD packages, examples:

King Crimson, Red CD + DVD

King Crimson, Islands CD + DVD

Caravan, In The Land Of Grey And Pink, 2CD + DVD

and so on.

These are a normal CD or CDs, packages with bonus tracks, alternate mixes on the DVD. So far, the ONLY way I've ever been able to listen to this content, is to stick the disc into my DVD recorder and play it (or, in desperation, then record the tracks onto my laptop, capturing them that way - primitive, messy, noisy, stupid method).

The DVDs are normal DVDs, in every case, they have formats that you can only access from a DVD player or computer - such as videos. I am not interested in videos.

But when I buy an album that says "+ bonus tracks" what I want to do as the PAYING OWNER of that disc is, be able to convert those tracks first to a WAV file, then to MP3 so I can ADD them to the rest of the album that they belong with.

So they are not strictly DVD-A (I have some of those) they just have the normal "DVD" logo and nothing else - and because they have a combination of audio and video material, I assume they CANNOT be DVD-A.

The audio files in question, well, those bonus tracks, are not videos as I said, but they are for example PCM stereo audio - those at least should be convertible to a wav file.

I don't expect to extract the 5.1 files, I'm not an idiot :-)

But I do want the bonus audio and alternate mix audio that's on all of these discs, and I feel that there should be SOME way of doing that.

What format are the audio tracks in?

See above, PCM stereo mostly.

Who made the disc?

These are bonus DVDs packaged with normal CDs, containing bonus AUDIO material that I want to extract to wav.

Are you using Easy Media Creator 10 or Roxio Creator 2010?

Roxio Creator 2010, sorry for the confusion. Version 1.2.193 SP2.1; 5..0.0.0

Build 121893QQ, R03; 500822A, R03

I hope this helps. The files on the DVD are what you would normally see: IFO, VOB.

I am surprised, that with all the Roxio can do, that this task seems problematic.

I have a feeling that your answer now will be: you cannot do this, or, you need to buy expensive tool x....but please advise

thanks for responding, I very much appreciate it

dave

First of all what software package do you really have? There is no program called Roxio 10. There is the 4 year/version old Easy Media Creator 10 (EMC 10) and there is the 2 year/version old Roxio Creator 2010. There are many differences between the two versions so hyou have to be correct in your program naming.

If those audio clips are not part of the video then they should be separate files on the DVD. Can't you just copy them to your hard drive using Windows Explorer?

Perhaps if you were to list the files/folders on that DVD it might help.

The method you describe is for extracting the audio from video so it will of course not work for strictly audio tracks.

You should also remove your e-mail address unless you want to receive a lot of junk mail

Hello, well, I removed my email address from my post, but because you included my entire post in yopur reply, I would need to now ask you to remove my post from yours so as to accomplish the goal.

Thanks!

Dave

What I actually have here, are several deluxe CD + DVD packages, examples:

King Crimson, Red CD + DVD

King Crimson, Islands CD + DVD

Caravan, In The Land Of Grey And Pink, 2CD + DVD

Open Video Copy and Convert with one of those disc's in a DVD drive, make sure that drive and DVD is selected DVD Copy Video in the VCC program..

Do you see this?

post-97-090856400 1306950535.jpg

Edited by cdanteek

Roxio Creator 2010, sorry for the confusion. Version 1.2.193 SP2.1; 5..0.0.0

Build 121893QQ, R03; 500822A, R03

I hope this helps. The files on the DVD are what you would normally see: IFO, VOB.

I am surprised, that with all the Roxio can do, that this task seems problematic.

I have a feeling that your answer now will be: you cannot do this, or, you need to buy expensive tool x....but please advise

thanks for responding, I very much appreciate it

dave

Do not put your replies int the quoted part of a post. It makes it difficult to figure out what was quoted and what you added. If you do quote in the post, at least highlight your reply in some form.

If I understand what you are trying to do is that you want to rip the audio files from the CDs, is that correct? That is, none of the audio tracks you want are on the DVDs, right?

Since these are commercial CDs then they may well be copy protected and no legal software package will break the protection.

BTW, all you own is the physical discs, you do not own the contents on the discs.

Edited by myguggi

Open Video Copy and Convert with one of those disc's in a DVD drive, make sure that drive and DVD is selected DVD Copy Video in the VCC program..

Do you see this?

post-97-090856400 1306950535.jpg

Hi

No, unless I've selected something wrong, it would appear that it's not protected. See attached.

Thanks

Dave

• Like 1

Do not put your replies int the quoted part of a post. It makes it difficult to figure out what was quoted and what you added. If you do quote in the post, at least highlight your reply in some form.

Hello. I am new here, but I am not new to the concept of courtesy. I feel that the way you worded this post, which criticises my style of reply, and doesn't even bother to start out with "please", is unwelcoming, unwarranted and unkind. "PLEASE do not put your replies..." might have carried more weight with me, I am not your son or a hapless teenage boy, I am probably older than you, and I have been replying that way for 20 years in emails and posts of all kinds, and you are the FIRST PERSON who has ever complained. Yes, normally I would put some indication, such as >>>>>>>>>> before your comments, when replying, but because I was in a hurry (and, because there were only a few bare bones sentences too!), I did not - but come on, a post with a scattered few sentences in it, if that is "difficult" to understand, then you should see some of my 20-page, 40 - 50,000 word postings when I am passionate about a topic.

There I am, a complete stranger, I haven't even been in the forum for one day, and already, you are bossing me about as if I am an IDIOT. I don't appreciate that,to be honest, I don't like your tone or your attitude, and I don't think you should have spoken to me this way - and I feel you should apologise - it was unwelcoming, not courteous at all, and did not even give me the benefit of the doubt. BRANDED: Idiot. Add on top of that I am critically ill, with chronic pain issues you would not believe, 24/7, for over seven years - well, my patience and courtesy level is actually doing quite well considering what it MIGHT be if you had caught me at a REALLY bad moment.

If I understand what you are trying to do is that you want to rip the audio files from the CDs, is that correct?

No, not at all. I've been ripping audio CDs for years, and I know how to do it, using a number of different tools and methods again, the assumption is - this is an idiot. I'm also a database and content expert with 15 years deep database experiencing working with millions of rows of complex data - so to suggest that I don't know how to rip a file from a CD - well, I guess where you come from, you "assume" that everyone is as dumb as a rock until proven smart? That's not how I was brought up, we are kind to strangers, we are welcoming, we don't CRITICISE them, we don't make them feel that we think they are IDIOTS...I think you see where I am going with this.

Arrogance is not a pretty thing, and it's so easy to slip into (you did), and what you think is "helpful" becomes...damaging. I disliked almost everything about your "helpful reply" from the rude start, to the assumption of my pure stupidity, to getting two fundamental points wrong because you didn't read my posts properly (or for some reason) and just for the whole general negative, condescending, hurtful tone of it. It hurt me, I did not like it, and I am saying so - and I would say so to Roxio if ever asked about the kind of "welcome" I receieved in these forums.

>That is, none of the audio tracks you want are on the DVDs, right?

Got it wrong AGAIN, once again. Wrong. Did you even READ my posts, at all? I have ripped the audio files from the CDs in the normal way. There are ADDITIONAL bonus audio tracks on the DVD that I want to ADD to the CD tracks. I did say this, in detail.

I made all this very clear in previous posts, instead of making assumptions, a more careful reading of my posts might have stopped you asking these two questions that I have already answered, and, it's now wasted BOTH our time - and pissed me off something fierce as well. I am not in the MOOD to be treated like an idiot!

Since these are commercial CDs then they may well be copy protected and no legal software package will break the protection.

I actually understood that already. According to the polite, ongoing discussion with the other gentleman, the NICE, helpful, kind, straight to the point no-nonsense person I met on the Roxio forum, who IS a gentleman, and is genuinely and amazingly HELPFUL - we have WORKED together and determined that the disc is NOT protected. That's where we are at right now.

BTW, all you own is the physical discs, you do not own the contents on the discs.

Unless you are a highly qualified lawyer working in the field of music industry law, a broad, sweeping statement like this is both condescending, again, intimating that I am an idiot, which I most certainly am not, and also, when you purchase that disc, that gives you certain rights to the content that are not unlike a contractual ownership - so one could argue it either way. I do not contest that the content BELONGS to the artist (I happen to be a recording artist myself, so on the contrary, I RESPECT that fact more than most), however, I am merely trying to GET THE CONTENT OFF OF THE DISK which I would think that, given that I've just paid the artist a large sum of money for these disks, that the artist would fully support.

I'm not, however, here to argue content issues or legalities, I was trying merely to enjoy a product I purchased, but the Roxio software I have, it seems, may not be up to the task of extracting audio tracks from a DVD.

That is what we are trying to determine - if this can be done. The tracks DO rip, but they end up as raw white and pink noise at about +40 db.

Finally, I make NO APOLOGY for the brusque and brutally honest way I have spoken here, it was necessary given a number of very incorrect assumptions that you made about me, and about my post - which you could not have really got MORE wrong if you had tried intentionally to do so.

Be kind to strangers is what I was taught, help them, be patient with them. One of them might be, for example, horribly crippled and in a lot of pain, and maybe almost anything you might say that is let's say, a little short of courtesy, might damage them horribly indeed.

This is how this seems to me. You are welcome to disagree, but I don't think logically, that you have a leg to stand on. Your behaviour in treating a disabled man with a terminal illness like a retarded moron was really uncalled for in my opinion. That is why I always give people THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT.

Maybe there is a GOOD REASON that this person forgot to put the arrow marks in that tiny posting, maybe he's old and tired and broken and in more pain than I could ever, ever imagine. Imagine that. That's my life, and it's now shorter than ever, because I have to take time to point behaviours like this out, and the real harm that they can and do often do to people like myself.

Dave - soon to be kicked off the Roxio forum for speaking out against a serious injustice, and Dave, intelligent human being, NOT moron/idiot/dunce/child.

Show some respect. I was asking for HELP, not needing a lesson in Elementary Internet Ettiquette 101.

I am 53 years old, and as I said, disabled and in pain. You need to CONSIDER, please, that others you meet might be in similar circumstances, and they are reaching out for help, not wanting or needing to be slapped down with an unwelcoming, discourteous reply before they've been here for even half a DAY.

I will say this though - thanks to you, I will never, EVER forget my "welcome" to the Roxio forums. EVER.

Unbelieveable. Judgmental in the extreme.

Edited by Brendon
edited by Brendon to remove confusion and help Dave

cdanteek

will you please continue to work with me on this problem, I really need your help, and you have been friendly, kind, VERY helpful and utterly uncritical of me, which I very much appreciate.

I did not care for the "response" that I got from the other user - as you will have seen. I spoke my mind, as is my right, but I do not wish that discussion to color this one.

I would appreciate if you could please just ignore that issue, help me to get back to a solution, and defer any discussion of the very, very difficult issues I raised with the other user until AFTER we have solved the actual problem at hand. I wanted calm, professional advice, and that is what you have given me - you've LISTENED, you asked all the right questions, and we are making good progress.

I thank you again for your help so far, and hope you can come up with some suggestions for me to at least try.

I value and respect your opinion and appreciate very much the courtesy and welcoming and helpful assistance you have provided so far.

Thanks!

Dave

Dave,

Click Music and Audio from the home page, Edit and Transfer, Edit Audio, Roxio Sound Editor opens.

Click Import From CD/DVD, Media Selector opens and choose your movie, highlight it and click add.

Your Import CD/DVD window opens and you choose your setting, wav and save folder location.

Mine extracts the audio 1.08GB file from the movie DVD single layer 4.7 DVD in five minutes on my rig, see signature.

Does this way work for you?

post-97-007963700 1307027332.jpg

post-97-055358000 1307027451.jpg