Can't re-install Roxio Creator MyDVD Combo Plus

Chris_Miller

Question

I’m having a major problem getting the Roxio Creator MyDVD Plus Combo (Dell Edition) software to install. Here’s my situation.

I have a new Dell Inspiron 9400. Like many other Inspiron owners, I was having BSOD problems. Per Dell support (and many messages on the support forums), one of the solutions was to de-install and re-install Sonic. Apparently, there is some problem with the pre-install of the software. The good news is that the BSOD issues went away. The bad news is that I can’t get Sonic re-installed. Here’s what happens.

I de-installed Sonic using add/remove programs. Per other posts on Dell support and on this site, add/remove programs does not do a “clean” uninstall, and there were some additional steps to take (like deleting the Sonic folders in c:\program files\common files). I ran my registry cleaner to make sure there wasn’t anything else left.

Just to be safe, I rebooted to have fresh start, then inserted the CD dell sent me with my computer (I purchased the ‘deluxe’ package). The label on the CD says “Roxio CREATOR MyDVD Plus Combo”. It is version 7.3 I believe. When the installer starts, it says this is the "Dell Edition" of the software. The install has 3 options (Typical, Custom and Complete). I chose the “complete” install option. Everything seems to progress normally and runs successfully to completion. At the end, the install process indicates a restart is needed. Here’s were things go bad:

When the computer restarts, Windows hangs at the point where the two-tone blue screen with the small Windows XP logo and text that reads “Windows is starting up…”. Normally, this screen would show up for a few seconds, then the text would change to say “Welcome” and then the desktop shows up. However, it hangs at the “Windows is starting up…” stage. At first, I thought I wasn’t being patient (thinking it might be finishing up the install). However, after seeing it hang there for 10 minutes with no disk activity, I knew it was stuck. At this point, the only option I have is to go into safe mode and do a system restore to the point before I started the installation.

I’ve gone through this process three times and get the same result. One of the more frustrating parts of this story is that Dell tech support suggests I just restore the system to the factory state. I have no desire to do that, but furthermore know that doing so would cause the BSODs to happen again (requiring me to remove Sonic again…then I’m likely to be back in this same situation).

My questions are:

a…Has anyone else had this problem? (Was there a resolution?).

b…Is there any value in running the “typical” install vs the “complete” install?

c…Is there any reason to believe that performing the installation again, but instead of rebooting at the end, I download the dell Sonic fixed (82MB file zipped!) and applying that before the reboot?

d…I don’t know if there’s any truth to this, but I wonder if there’s some problem with the fact that Win MCE uses Sonic Encoders and their presence and drivers cause some soft of conflict. The problem here is those Sonic drivers are part of the OS image (and you can’t de-install them anyway because the MSI file is missing). Does this make sense to anyone?

e…Has anyone had much luck with Sonic tech support or Dell for this issue?

f...What the heck is the "Dell Edition" anyway?

I’m frustrated and just don’t know what to try next. I’m going to be calling Dell customer care to see if I can get this escalated somehow. If that doesn’t go well, I’m going to see if I can at least get my $ back so I can go purchase another piece of software. I would prefer to use Sonic since I’ve used it before and have several projects created.

Thanks advance for any suggestions, input or help you may be able to provide.

1 answer to this question

I’m having a major problem getting the Roxio Creator MyDVD Plus Combo (Dell Edition) software to install. Here’s my situation.

I have a new Dell Inspiron 9400. Like many other Inspiron owners, I was having BSOD problems. Per Dell support (and many messages on the support forums), one of the solutions was to de-install and re-install Sonic. Apparently, there is some problem with the pre-install of the software. The good news is that the BSOD issues went away. The bad news is that I can’t get Sonic re-installed. Here’s what happens.

I de-installed Sonic using add/remove programs. Per other posts on Dell support and on this site, add/remove programs does not do a “clean” uninstall, and there were some additional steps to take (like deleting the Sonic folders in c:\program files\common files). I ran my registry cleaner to make sure there wasn’t anything else left.

Just to be safe, I rebooted to have fresh start, then inserted the CD dell sent me with my computer (I purchased the ‘deluxe’ package). The label on the CD says “Roxio CREATOR MyDVD Plus Combo”. It is version 7.3 I believe. When the installer starts, it says this is the "Dell Edition" of the software. The install has 3 options (Typical, Custom and Complete). I chose the “complete” install option. Everything seems to progress normally and runs successfully to completion. At the end, the install process indicates a restart is needed. Here’s were things go bad:

When the computer restarts, Windows hangs at the point where the two-tone blue screen with the small Windows XP logo and text that reads “Windows is starting up…”. Normally, this screen would show up for a few seconds, then the text would change to say “Welcome” and then the desktop shows up. However, it hangs at the “Windows is starting up…” stage. At first, I thought I wasn’t being patient (thinking it might be finishing up the install). However, after seeing it hang there for 10 minutes with no disk activity, I knew it was stuck. At this point, the only option I have is to go into safe mode and do a system restore to the point before I started the installation.

I’ve gone through this process three times and get the same result. One of the more frustrating parts of this story is that Dell tech support suggests I just restore the system to the factory state. I have no desire to do that, but furthermore know that doing so would cause the BSODs to happen again (requiring me to remove Sonic again…then I’m likely to be back in this same situation).

My questions are:

a…Has anyone else had this problem? (Was there a resolution?).

b…Is there any value in running the “typical” install vs the “complete” install?

c…Is there any reason to believe that performing the installation again, but instead of rebooting at the end, I download the dell Sonic fixed (82MB file zipped!) and applying that before the reboot?

d…I don’t know if there’s any truth to this, but I wonder if there’s some problem with the fact that Win MCE uses Sonic Encoders and their presence and drivers cause some soft of conflict. The problem here is those Sonic drivers are part of the OS image (and you can’t de-install them anyway because the MSI file is missing). Does this make sense to anyone?

e…Has anyone had much luck with Sonic tech support or Dell for this issue?

f...What the heck is the "Dell Edition" anyway?

I’m frustrated and just don’t know what to try next. I’m going to be calling Dell customer care to see if I can get this escalated somehow. If that doesn’t go well, I’m going to see if I can at least get my $ back so I can go purchase another piece of software. I would prefer to use Sonic since I’ve used it before and have several projects created.

Thanks advance for any suggestions, input or help you may be able to provide.

Call Dell Support. This is not a Roxio or Sonic issue.

Archived