DVD Builder closes at Step 3 of burning

itsme51

Question

I created a slide show in Videowave. Click "Burn". DVD Builder opens and I choose to burn to an ISO file. At Step 3 of 6 DVD Builder just closes down. No warning, no error messages, just quietly closes and goes away. This is the first time I have tried making an ISO file since I am new and just discovered from reading these forums that is the best route to take. Since burning to ISO didn't work I tried to burn directly to disc without making an ISO file which is how I have always done it in the past. Burning directly to disc causes DVD Builder to EITHER quietly close and go away OR lock up and display a message "DVD Builder has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I am given the option of sending an error report to Microsoft about this problem. I have sent numerous error reports to Microsoft because this has happend about 5 times. This problem always occurs at Step 3. I am creating a lot of coasters. I have successfully burned many DVDs previous to this current Videowave production and I don't know what to do. Unfortunately I am a newbie and don't have a clue where to start to look for a solution. What do I do now?

17 answers to this question

Walt, thank you. I will try this tonight. Thanks for the steps and picture. That helps a lot!

Walt I followed your instructions to find information about my video card. Wow, there is a lot of stuff in there. I do have the DirectX version you indicated I should have. My video card is as follows: Intel®82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller.

Walt I followed your instructions to find information about my video card. Wow, there is a lot of stuff in there. I do have the DirectX version you indicated I should have. My video card is as follows: Intel®82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller.

You have an on-board video controller and from the attachement below you can see that I have the same one in my system. I originally had all sorts of trouble getting EMC 7 to work until I discovered from Intel that that controller is not completely compatible with DirectX and cannot handle some of the video functions especially those related to some transitions (mainly 3D) and effects. I installed the NVIDIA card and disabled the Intel controller and have had no problems since. If possible it is advisable to upgrade to a full video card one with lots of memory

post-103-1154491301.jpg

I created a slide show in Videowave. Click "Burn". DVD Builder opens and I choose to burn to an ISO file. At Step 3 of 6 DVD Builder just closes down. No warning, no error messages, just quietly closes and goes away. This is the first time I have tried making an ISO file since I am new and just discovered from reading these forums that is the best route to take. Since burning to ISO didn't work I tried to burn directly to disc without making an ISO file which is how I have always done it in the past. Burning directly to disc causes DVD Builder to EITHER quietly close and go away OR lock up and display a message "DVD Builder has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I am given the option of sending an error report to Microsoft about this problem. I have sent numerous error reports to Microsoft because this has happend about 5 times. This problem always occurs at Step 3. I am creating a lot of coasters. I have successfully burned many DVDs previous to this current Videowave production and I don't know what to do. Unfortunately I am a newbie and don't have a clue where to start to look for a solution. What do I do now?

First of all until you can successfully create an iso file there really is not much point in burning to DVD.

There may be a problem with one of your slides or transitions if you are using any.. One method of troubleshooting is to go back into Videowave and select "output Production to ..". and output to "video file" selecting DVD authoring as format. This may tell you if you have a problem with the images and at what point you have the problem.

Anything I can do to assist you to help me I'm willing !!

As I mentioned I'm pretty clueless about hardware so I hope I am supplying what you need. I'm just copying off the system list on my computer.

Thank you

Susan

Good morning Susan, .

Since you cannot even get rendering to start in VideoWave (output), there may be something wrong with your production right at the start. or something in VideoWave has become corrupted.

Let's take a look at your production. What do you start off with? Images or a blank panel (title page) or a video (You said slide show but I had to ask)? If video, what format -avi, mpg2 or other? Do you have music at the start? What format? Also look at things that would be a duration problem If you have a too short duration for an image with a longer transition on one side, that could be a problem. Have you added text? Is it timed correctly. For kicks, delete the first images and the music track and save the project under a different name. Now try "outputting" to DV. If there was something bad at the start of the show, it will start rendering; if it still dosen't not render, let's look elsewhere.

Do a repair on the program by going to Windows>start>control panel. Add/remove programs. A pop up window will eventually fill. Scroll down to Roxio EMC and click the repair if there is one or uninstall. If you click the uninstall, you will get a choice to repair. If you don't find that, cancel out

As for your computer and hard drive space (I don't think this is the problem.) Do this. Go to the icon on your screen that is named my computer and open it. One of things you should see is a listing of your hard drive (usually C:). Right click it and select properties. A pop up window will appear with a little graphic about your hard drive. There is also text that tells you how much used space and how much free space on that drive.

While you are there, click on "disc clean-up" and let that run. If you haven't defragged your drive recently, select the "tools" tab and click on the fragment. As you probably know, discs should be defragged fairly frequently and always before starting a video project.

You might want to download and run "Belarx Adviser" (free). It will tell you a lot about your computer.

Sorry for the long post; I wanted to give you several options to try. Please come back and let us know if anythng worked.

You have an on-board video controller and from the attachement below you can see that I have the same one in my system. I originally had all sorts of trouble getting EMC 7 to work until I discovered from Intel that that controller is not completely compatible with DirectX and cannot handle some of the video functions especially those related to some transitions (mainly 3D) and effects. I installed the NVIDIA card and disabled the Intel controller and have had no problems since. If possible it is advisable to upgrade to a full video card one with lots of memory

post-103-1154491301.jpg

Walt, thank you for the information and attached photo. Those photos are extremely helpful. "A picture is worth a thousand words??" At that rate my current slide show is worth 170,000 words. I will get my son to work on getting me this video card update. He is quite impressed with how much Mom is learning (and I owe so much of it to all of you in the forums). Thanks,

Susan

Walt, thank you for the information and attached photo. Those photos are extremely helpful. "A picture is worth a thousand words??" At that rate my current slide show is worth 170,000 words. I will get my son to work on getting me this video card update. He is quite impressed with how much Mom is learning (and I owe so much of it to all of you in the forums). Thanks,

Susan

Walt, can you give me the part number of your video card? There seem to be several NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200s out there each with minor variances from the other. I prefer to obtain the model you have since I'm sure its efficiency and capabilty has been put to the test on your computer!

Good morning Susan, .

Since you cannot even get rendering to start in VideoWave (output), there may be something wrong with your production right at the start. or something in VideoWave has become corrupted.

Let's take a look at your production. What do you start off with? Images or a blank panel (title page) or a video (You said slide show but I had to ask)? If video, what format -avi, mpg2 or other? Do you have music at the start? What format? Also look at things that would be a duration problem If you have a too short duration for an image with a longer transition on one side, that could be a problem. Have you added text? Is it timed correctly. For kicks, delete the first images and the music track and save the project under a different name. Now try "outputting" to DV. If there was something bad at the start of the show, it will start rendering; if it still dosen't not render, let's look elsewhere.

Do a repair on the program by going to Windows>start>control panel. Add/remove programs. A pop up window will eventually fill. Scroll down to Roxio EMC and click the repair if there is one or uninstall. If you click the uninstall, you will get a choice to repair. If you don't find that, cancel out

As for your computer and hard drive space (I don't think this is the problem.) Do this. Go to the icon on your screen that is named my computer and open it. One of things you should see is a listing of your hard drive (usually C:). Right click it and select properties. A pop up window will appear with a little graphic about your hard drive. There is also text that tells you how much used space and how much free space on that drive.

While you are there, click on "disc clean-up" and let that run. If you haven't defragged your drive recently, select the "tools" tab and click on the fragment. As you probably know, discs should be defragged fairly frequently and always before starting a video project.

You might want to download and run "Belarx Adviser" (free). It will tell you a lot about your computer.

Sorry for the long post; I wanted to give you several options to try. Please come back and let us know if anythng worked.

Steve thantk you so much for all the information!!! And especially for the step-by-step procedures. It really helps a techno-know-nothing like me to have every little detail !!!!! Seriously I need this. I will definitely keep this post in my file. Your very first remark was correct and I was going to post this morning and turn myself in to Walt and apologize. Yesterday Walt suggested I select "output Production to . . " which I informed him I had already done with no luck. Last night I was re-reading the stream and - clunk - a light bulb went on over my head. I should have spent more time focusing on Walt's ENTIRE post. He stated that doing an output to video file and selecting DVD authoring would tell me if I have a problem with the images and "at what point you have the problem." I didn't concentrate enough on those very last words. Duh. I finally realized that the reason it would not render from the very start was probably because there was a problem with the very first slide. On the first slide I had added an overlay of flying stars. I removed the overlay and what do you know the ISO burned successfully and I continued on to successfully burn a hard copy to DVD. I was able to watch the DVD on my TV and all is well. Walt you were right on the money. Steve I can't thank you enough for all the additonal information I now have at my disposal. I think I will add my friends at Roxio Forums to the credits page on my video. You all deserve it. Thanks everyone, I couldn 't be successful and enjoy my hobby so much if it weren't for all of your help. Now off to the next thing and see what trouble I can get myself into !

Susan

First of all until you can successfully create an iso file there really is not much point in burning to DVD.

There may be a problem with one of your slides or transitions if you are using any.. One method of troubleshooting is to go back into Videowave and select "output Production to ..". and output to "video file" selecting DVD authoring as format. This may tell you if you have a problem with the images and at what point you have the problem.

Thank you Walt. I had reviewed previous streams prior to trying to solve my problem and I did see this particular suggestion in one of them. I tried to "output Production" to video file with DVD authoring as format. I got an hourglass at the very start of the rendering and it just sat there and sat there and sat there. I finally had to log off. No progress at all. Thank you for a good suggestion but unfortunately I had bad results. Where do I go from here? FYI - when I review the entire show on the computer it plays just fine. If that is worth anything. I'm at the end of my rope, nearing deadline and have put many hours into making this a specials how. Help !!

Thank you,

Susan

Steve thantk you so much for all the information!!! And especially for the step-by-step procedures. It really helps a techno-know-nothing like me to have every little detail !!!!! Seriously I need this. I will definitely keep this post in my file. Your very first remark was correct and I was going to post this morning and turn myself in to Walt and apologize. Yesterday Walt suggested I select "output Production to . . " which I informed him I had already done with no luck. Last night I was re-reading the stream and - clunk - a light bulb went on over my head. I should have spent more time focusing on Walt's ENTIRE post. He stated that doing an output to video file and selecting DVD authoring would tell me if I have a problem with the images and "at what point you have the problem." I didn't concentrate enough on those very last words. Duh. I finally realized that the reason it would not render from the very start was probably because there was a problem with the very first slide. On the first slide I had added an overlay of flying stars. I removed the overlay and what do you know the ISO burned successfully and I continued on to successfully burn a hard copy to DVD. I was able to watch the DVD on my TV and all is well. Walt you were right on the money. Steve I can't thank you enough for all the additonal information I now have at my disposal. I think I will add my friends at Roxio Forums to the credits page on my video. You all deserve it. Thanks everyone, I couldn 't be successful and enjoy my hobby so much if it weren't for all of your help. Now off to the next thing and see what trouble I can get myself into !

Susan

We are all glad you were able to find your problem and solve it.

The fact that you are having a problem with the "stars" overlay seems to indicate that your video card is not able to handle the functions required by the overlay. Could you list what kind of video card you have?

Thank you Walt. I had reviewed previous streams prior to trying to solve my problem and I did see this particular suggestion in one of them. I tried to "output Production" to video file with DVD authoring as format. I got an hourglass at the very start of the rendering and it just sat there and sat there and sat there. I finally had to log off. No progress at all. Thank you for a good suggestion but unfortunately I had bad results. Where do I go from here? FYI - when I review the entire show on the computer it plays just fine. If that is worth anything. I'm at the end of my rope, nearing deadline and have put many hours into making this a specials how. Help !!

Thank you,

Susan

Hmm, this may seem simple, but does your hard drive have enough space to support the ISO?

Please post some computer specs if not :)

Hmm, this may seem simple, but does your hard drive have enough space to support the ISO?

Please post some computer specs if not :)

Anything I can do to assist you to help me I'm willing !!

As I mentioned I'm pretty clueless about hardware so I hope I am supplying what you need. I'm just copying off the system list on my computer.

Dell Optiplex GX260

Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz

Total computer memory 3255852 KB

Available memory 2716000KB

(my project size is 1400 MB) - I wouldn't know an MB from a KB from GHz from whatever :-)

Burner - Sony DRU-820A 1.0a [3,0,0]

Firmware 1.0a

Round Rock v. 3

Windows XP v. 5.1 (Build 2600) (no Service Packs)

I'm using Roxio EMC v. 7.5.0.47 ENU

Thank you

Susan

We are all glad you were able to find your problem and solve it.

The fact that you are having a problem with the "stars" overlay seems to indicate that your video card is not able to handle the functions required by the overlay. Could you list what kind of video card you have?

I will not be at my personal computer until later this evening and I will check then but . . . can you please tell me how/where I would find information regarding the video card?

Walt, can you give me the part number of your video card? There seem to be several NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200s out there each with minor variances from the other. I prefer to obtain the model you have since I'm sure its efficiency and capabilty has been put to the test on your computer!

Take a look at some of the guru's signatures and you will see an assortment of video cards in use. Most of them are pretty good or the guru would have trashed the card and gotten something better. Get the list, see what is on sale and go from there. :)

I will not be at my personal computer until later this evening and I will check then but . . . can you please tell me how/where I would find information regarding the video card?

To get info on your video card (and also test it):

1-click on the Start icon on your task bar

2-select Run and the type in dxdiag in the dialog box and then click Ok

A window should open showing all sorts of info on your system. The 2 pics below show what important info on your video card

post-103-1154463644.jpg

post-103-1154463655.jpg

To get info on your video card (and also test it):

1-click on the Start icon on your task bar

2-select Run and the type in dxdiag in the dialog box and then click Ok

A window should open showing all sorts of info on your system. The 2 pics below show what important info on your video card

post-103-1154463644.jpg

post-103-1154463655.jpg

Walt, thank you. I will try this tonight. Thanks for the steps and picture. That helps a lot!

I just realized I never posted back on this thread. Better late than never ??? Just to let you all know your advice re video card updating was very helpful and my slide shows are really rockin' now. I installed a RADEON 9550 256 MB video card and having good results.

Archived