Question

I'm trying to create a Blu-ray disk containing many high quality still photos and audio (recorded on reel 2 reel and digitized). I want the photos to be displayed as a slide show, and add MY MUSIC (complete classical works so the length if the show is longer that a dvd will accomodate) to the resulting shows. I'd like to have each piece of music as it's own "chapter". I've been able to successfully create a dvd using the following workflow (obviously I selected dvd in #7):

1 - resize all photos to 720 x 480 and place them all in the same folder

2 - use edit video automatically, choose not to use intro

3 - add sufficient photos to accomodate the length of audio piece

4 - continue editing in video wave, add transition theme, add audio, add text identifying the audio piece at the beginning of the photos, and re-adjust the slide duration to match the audio length.

5 - export the results as a mpg2 highes quality for export to dvd.

6 - repeat the above for 5 additional audio pieces resulting in 6 files

7 - use my dvd select Blu-Ray and add the 6 files as separate "movies"

8 - select burn and the rendering proceeds for quite a while ( normal I think) then produces this message "Failed to import Media in author script. error while importing media"

I'm positive that the media is A-OK because I've successfully burned a dvd with the same import media. I've searched for the message on these forums - no helpful info found. I suspect that I'm using an incorrect file format to mpg2 for Blu-ray (yes I have a Blu-ray burner on this PC), but I really don't know for sure nor do I know what format to try.

Windows 7 64bit

HP pavilion elite hpe (intel quad core 3.2 ghz)

12 gb internal memory

160 gb ssd primary

1 tb hdd secondary

1 tb esata

Roxio creator 2011 Pro

And advice or correction to workflow would be appreciated.

TIA

Pete

20 answers to this question

I'm trying to create a Blu-ray disk containing many high quality still photos and audio (recorded on reel 2 reel and digitized). I want the photos to be displayed as a slide show, and add MY MUSIC (complete classical works so the length if the show is longer that a dvd will accomodate) to the resulting shows. I'd like to have each piece of music as it's own "chapter". I've been able to successfully create a dvd using the following workflow (obviously I selected dvd in #7):

1 - resize all photos to 720 x 480 and place them all in the same folder

2 - use edit video automatically, choose not to use intro

3 - add sufficient photos to accomodate the length of audio piece

4 - continue editing in video wave, add transition theme, add audio, add text identifying the audio piece at the beginning of the photos, and re-adjust the slide duration to match the audio length.

5 - export the results as a mpg2 highes quality for export to dvd.

6 - repeat the above for 5 additional audio pieces resulting in 6 files

7 - use my dvd select Blu-Ray and add the 6 files as separate "movies"

8 - select burn and the rendering proceeds for quite a while ( normal I think) then produces this message "Failed to import Media in author script. error while importing media"

I'm positive that the media is A-OK because I've successfully burned a dvd with the same import media. I've searched for the message on these forums - no helpful info found. I suspect that I'm using an incorrect file format to mpg2 for Blu-ray (yes I have a Blu-ray burner on this PC), but I really don't know for sure nor do I know what format to try.

Windows 7 64bit

HP pavilion elite hpe (intel quad core 3.2 ghz)

12 gb internal memory

160 gb ssd primary

1 tb hdd secondary

1 tb esata

Roxio creator 2011 Pro

And advice or correction to workflow would be appreciated.

TIA

Pete

Have a look at the following link, and see if anything there helps:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/62492-roxios-process-for-making-an-avchd-disc/

Edited by grandpabruce

Thanks for the link grandpabruce, I had already read that .... maybe I'm not quite understanding the terminology but I was really hoping to use Blu-ray for the increased capacity

Regards,

Pete

What do you really want to create , a "real" BlueRay DVD or do you want to create a standard video on a BlueRay disc?

If a video BlueRay why would you create a standard mpeg video and reduce your photos to lower resolution?

How long in time is you whole project anyway?

Edited by myguggi

Time is the issue here combined with quality…

Creator allows for AVCHD (on dvd) & BD but there are some ways to put AVCHD onto BD as well.

I think you should use a DVD RW with the AVCHD projects to get some idea what Quality Setting is going to give you what you want – if you have a BD-RE that would do as well

Then knowing TIME and Quality, we can nail down the options you can use. Actually if we just know the Quality, we can tell what TIME you can fit on various media ;)

What do you really want to create , a "real" BlueRay DVD or do you want to create a standard video on a BlueRay disc?

If a video BlueRay why would you create a standard mpeg video and reduce your photos to lower resolution?

How long in time is you whole project anyway?

Thanks for the reply, Yes I really want to create a Blu-ray disk on Blu-ray media, the length is 3.9 hours. The project is "audio centric" but with photos as an extra, I believe I should be able to have at least 5 hours of audio with photos to accompany using Blu-ray. You pointed out my real question.... what is the file format I should be using. I have only found one way (using CineMagic) in Roxio to randomize the photo presentations I've added. Is there a better work flow for me to consider?

Thanks again

Pete

Edited by pfeiffep

Time is the issue here combined with quality…

Creator allows for AVCHD (on dvd) & BD but there are some ways to put AVCHD onto BD as well.

I think you should use a DVD RW with the AVCHD projects to get some idea what Quality Setting is going to give you what you want – if you have a BD-RE that would do as well

Then knowing TIME and Quality, we can nail down the options you can use. Actually if we just know the Quality, we can tell what TIME you can fit on various media ;)

Thanks Jim,

I've standardized the photo size to 720 x 480, the audio was digitized from reel 2 reel tape at 192 kbps (mp3). the combined time for this production is 3.9 hours (combined length of the audio pieces)

It seems to me that the size of the files might also be important:

combined audio = 8 files = 311 MB

all photos resized = 2110 files = 384 MB

I'd like to have "chapters" set for each of the 8 audio pieces

I am open to suggestions ... please advise

TIA

Pete

Video is base on TIME & Quality, file size is meaningless!

ALL will be rendered into the Qualtiy you set and result of T&Q will determine the file size...

This why you need to test.

A 25 GB will hold 4 hours at HQ!!! That quality is 1920 X 1080 so if you reduce your pictures to a mere 720 X 480 they will look like b-a-d when blown up that large!

You Can select Same As Original as a custom setting but it is a waste of picture quality…

TEST! Use the AVCHD on DVD (DVD RW) try adding a few pictures at your DVD quality, then add a the same ones in their original quality burn and play.

Otherwise your project will be easy to set up but you want to make these decisions up front while they are easy to change ;)

Video is base on TIME & Quality, file size is meaningless!

ALL will be rendered into the Qualtiy you set and result of T&Q will determine the file size...

This why you need to test.

A 25 GB will hold 4 hours at HQ!!! That quality is 1920 X 1080 so if you reduce your pictures to a mere 720 X 480 they will look like b-a-d when blown up that large!

You Can select Same As Original as a custom setting but it is a waste of picture quality…

TEST! Use the AVCHD on DVD (DVD RW) try adding a few pictures at your DVD quality, then add a the same ones in their original quality burn and play.

Otherwise your project will be easy to set up but you want to make these decisions up front while they are easy to change ;)

I see your point Jim, So I should resize all the originals to 1920 x 1080 thanks! I can use Photo Shop Elements 9 to manipulate multiple files might take a few hours, but the PC will do the work!

What about the workflow questions?

Pete

I see your point Jim, So I should resize all the originals to 1920 x 1080 thanks! I can use Photo Shop Elements 9 to manipulate multiple files might take a few hours, but the PC will do the work!

What about the workflow questions?

Pete

The resizing is done automatically for you when you chose the quality. There is no point in using any 3rd party utility.

BTW, you really don't want to use Cinemagic for anything. The program to assemble to your project is Edit Video-Advanced (Videowave)

Edited by myguggi

The resizing is done automatically for you when you chose the quality. There is no point in using any 3rd party utility.

BTW, you really don't want to use Cinemagic for anything. The program to assemble to your project is Edit Video-Advanced (Videowave)

Ok so Roxio will resize for me, but wouldn't it be faster (for the human) to re-size off line and then assemble the project? Does Roxio provide a work on multiple files option?

I eventually do use advanced video editing, however Cinemagic provides the random arrangement that I wasn't able to find in Video-Advanced. Once I have the photos and audio added in Cinemagic I choose open in Video Wave to complete the task. Possibly I'm missing the option in advanced to show the photos in random order if so please educate me!

Thanks

Pete

Ok so Roxio will resize for me, but wouldn't it be faster (for the human) to re-size off line and then assemble the project? Does Roxio provide a work on multiple files option?

I eventually do use advanced video editing, however Cinemagic provides the random arrangement that I wasn't able to find in Video-Advanced. Once I have the photos and audio added in Cinemagic I choose open in Video Wave to complete the task. Possibly I'm missing the option in advanced to show the photos in random order if so please educate me!

Thanks

Pete

Which way is faster to get to the end result is faster, I don't really know. C2011 will still have to take those resized photos and encode them into the video format. So whether it is faster to start from the resized photos or start from the original resolution is something that you could test<_<

If all you are doing with Cinemagic is "randomizing" then I don't see any problems. I just have never needed to randomize any slideshow so have never even considered that option. It is interesting to know that Cinemagic can do that, I believe Videowave does not have that feature.

Which way is faster to get to the end result is faster, I don't really know. C2011 will still have to take those resized photos and encode them into the video format. So whether it is faster to start from the resized photos or start from the original resolution is something that you could test<_<

If all you are doing with Cinemagic is "randomizing" then I don't see any problems. I just have never needed to randomize any slideshow so have never even considered that option. It is interesting to know that Cinemagic can do that, I believe Videowave does not have that feature.

Thanks, I'll take your advice and stay completely with C2011 for the resize also. I'm not really trying to tell a story with the photos in this project, just want to have something interesting to look at during the music.

I'll post back after I've successfully overcome the "failed to import media ..." message probably due to file format used originally

Pete

Thanks, I'll take your advice and stay completely with C2011 for the resize also. I'm not really trying to tell a story with the photos in this project, just want to have something interesting to look at during the music.

I'll post back after I've successfully overcome the "failed to import media ..." message probably due to file format used originally

Pete

Have you considered making an DVD with audio only? If you work it right, you can put all that music and more onto a standard DVD with DVD quality sound. If you split the music into movements, you could put a different image for each movement. You can get up to 25 hours of music on a standard DVD.

Go to the home page, selet the Music/Audio tab and look to the right to select " Create DVD Music Discs". That application is almost self guided and you can complete the job (images,etc) in "Create Music Disc Projects". BTW, you can optionally start to make the disc there also.

Have you considered making an DVD with audio only? If you work it right, you can put all that music and more onto a standard DVD with DVD quality sound. If you split the music into movements, you could put a different image for each movement. You can get up to 25 hours of music on a standard DVD.

Go to the home page, selet the Music/Audio tab and look to the right to select " Create DVD Music Discs". That application is almost self guided and you can complete the job (images,etc) in "Create Music Disc Projects". BTW, you can optionally start to make the disc there also.

Thanks sknis, I have made many dvd music discs in the past. This project was stimulated by an experience I had in the Navy 40 years ago. A bar owner had set up sequential slide shows made with his own slides from around the world accompanied with music - wonderful entertainment ... I've been wanting to do the same sort of thing and now with Blu-ray I can finally accomplish my 40 year old goal (I have quite a bit of music recorded onto reel 2 reel that is not replaceable ... I've used older versions of Roxio to digitize.

Possibly I missed something when I used music disc creator in the past so I'll take another look see (I was only able to create 2 hours on dvd when I added slides)

I'm testing my first Blu-ray disc on my LG bd550 as I write this ........ I have some learning to do about chapters however. My intention is to have an option to play the entire disc with additional options for each piece of music. My first attempt was only partially successful ... play entire disc doesn't function, and chapter 1 is only playable if I choose chapter 2 then hit back on player. Thanks to posts from Walt and Jim I got past my first hurdle :rolleyes: (disc creation was failing due to "failure to import media in author script" - I'm not entirely certain but pretty sure I was choosing an incorrect format for Blu-ray)

For anyone interested my work flow follows:

•  
  • Place photos in one folder using original dimensions (I use PhotoShop Elements 9 for photo editing)

• Start CineMagic, select and photos

• select random vs sequential (this is my choice certainly not for everyone, if sequential is desired start in VideoWave))

• Deselect the intro

• Send to VideoWave to continue editing

• add audio

• apply transition theme

• add text

• delete track not used - in my case Fx & Ovl

• fit audio to music

• Output to AVCHD 1920x1080i (since there's no motion there's no down side to i here)

• Complete the above for each piece of music

• Start video wave and add all the mp4 files into one movie, then send to mydvd

• add chapters ( this is where I'm not to clear on my success
    :huh:

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Pete

Edited by pfeiffep

Thanks sknis, I have made many dvd music discs in the past. This project was stimulated by an experience I had in the Navy 40 years ago. A bar owner had set up sequential slide shows made with his own slides from around the world accompanied with music - wonderful entertainment ... I've been wanting to do the same sort of thing and now with Blu-ray I can finally accomplish my 40 year old goal (I have quite a bit of music recorded onto reel 2 reel that is not replaceable ... I've used older versions of Roxio to digitize.

Possibly I missed something when I used music disc creator in the past so I'll take another look see (I was only able to create 2 hours on dvd when I added slides)

I'm testing my first Blu-ray disc on my LG bd550 as I write this ........ I have some learning to do about chapters however. My intention is to have an option to play the entire disc with additional options for each piece of music. My first attempt was only partially successful ... play entire disc doesn't function, and chapter 1 is only playable if I choose chapter 2 then hit back on player. Thanks to posts from Walt and Jim I got past my first hurdle :rolleyes: (disc creation was failing due to "failure to import media in author script" - I'm not entirely certain but pretty sure I was choosing an incorrect format for Blu-ray)

For anyone interested my work flow follows:

• Place photos in one folder using original dimensions (I use PhotoShop Elements 9 for photo editing)

• Start CineMagic, select and photos
  • select random vs sequential (this is my choice certainly not for everyone, if sequential is desired start in VideoWave))
  • Deselect the intro
  • Send to VideoWave to continue editing
  • add audio
  • apply transition theme
  • add text
  • delete track not used - in my case Fx & Ovl
  • fit audio to music
  • Output to AVCHD 1920x1080i (since there's no motion there's no down side to i here)
  • Complete the above for each piece of music
  • Start video wave and add all the mp4 files into one movie, then send to mydvd
  • add chapters ( this is where I'm not to clear on my success :huh:

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Pete

What do you call a chapter? In Roxio terminology (and in general video lingo) chapter refer to subdivisions of a title. On a commercila movie DVD chapter are equivalent to the scenes that you can select for a movie.

There is no need to delete unused track (actually there is no such thing anyway). If any of the available tracks is "empty" it is ignored when rendering.

What does fit audio to music mean or did your mean "fit video to audio"?

I believe you want the user to be able to Play all movies in sequence or have the option to play one movie and then continue play the rest in sequence (or return to the menu to select another movie).

In this case, in myDVD add each movie separately and it becomes a Title on the main menu page. Then if you want the user to be able to jump to a particular point in one of the movies you would create the chapters.

Instead of outputting each movie to a video file in Videowave, you could save each of the movies as a separate project file in Videowave. You then switch to myDVD and add each project file and it will become the Title.

I hope you are using RW BD discs, otherwise this learning process becomes expensive.

What do you call a chapter? In Roxio terminology (and in general video lingo) chapter refer to subdivisions of a title. On a commercila movie DVD chapter are equivalent to the scenes that you can select for a movie.

There is no need to delete unused track (actually there is no such thing anyway). If any of the available tracks is "empty" it is ignored when rendering.

What does fit audio to music mean or did your mean "fit video to audio"?

I believe you want the user to be able to Play all movies in sequence or have the option to play one movie and then continue play the rest in sequence (or return to the menu to select another movie).

In this case, in myDVD add each movie separately and it becomes a Title on the main menu page. Then if you want the user to be able to jump to a particular point in one of the movies you would create the chapters.

Instead of outputting each movie to a video file in Videowave, you could save each of the movies as a separate project file in Videowave. You then switch to myDVD and add each project file and it will become the Title.

I hope you are using RW BD discs, otherwise this learning process becomes expensive.

By chapter I mean to mark each musical selection as playable individually.

OK I can eliminate the step to delete tracks I'm not using. "Fit to audio (yes that was a brain hic-up) is a selection available in VideoWave, I don't think there are parameters to adjust audio to video or video to audio.

Actually I want to 2 choices 1) play the entire production sequentially, 2) choose whichever music piece and when through return to main menu.

If I understand what you've outlined there isn't a method available for my 2 choices ........ I'm thinking that I didn't understand correctly.

"Instead of outputting each movie to a video file in Videowave, you could save each of the movies as a separate project file in Videowave. You then switch to myDVD and add each project file and it will become the Title. " will this result in a 'play all scenario?"

So far I've only used one Blu-ray disc, I've been testing results without burning to disc. My one disc does play, but not exactly how I envisioned. It works slightly differently on PC than on LG bd550 in either case the entire disc is PLAYABLE with great audio and video quality, just the menu system is not perfect.

Thanks you Walt continued interest and ideas.

Pete

Edited by pfeiffep

Good luck, the last blu-ray disc I made I had trouble seeing which selection was chosen. There was just a small color change. I tried several different menu themes but they all worked the same. On the computer there was no issue; when I burned it was when I saw the problem. I only had eight separate titles. There is not a whole lot of options on making the buttons more visible.

I also tried using a different program and that was worse with 15-20 second lags moving from button to button.

You may burn a small part of your project to a rewritable disc to see if you can see the issue and if is going to be an issue for you. . My son was better at it when guessing what button was chosen.

Edited by sknis

Good luck, the last blu-ray disc I made I had trouble seeing which selection was chosen. There was just a small color change. I tried several different menu themes but they all worked the same. On the computer there was no issue; when I burned it was when I saw the problem. I only had eight separate titles. There is not a whole lot of options on making the buttons more visible.

I also tried using a different program and that was worse with 15-20 second lags moving from button to button.

You may burn a small part of your project to a rewritable disc to see if you can see the issue and if is going to be an issue for you. . My son was better at it when guessing what button was chosen.

Thanks ....... I noticed that there was a BARELY discernable diff in the buttons

Pete

Thanks Jim,

I've standardized the photo size to 720 x 480, the audio was digitized from reel 2 reel tape at 192 kbps (mp3). the combined time for this production is 3.9 hours (combined length of the audio pieces)

<snip>

I am open to suggestions ... please advise

TIA

Pete

Just to jump in on this... if you're project is audio-centric, that is, you're most concerned about the quality of the audio, then when you capture your music from reel-to-reel, you should stick with the uncompressed .WAV format. Compressing to .MP3 is a definite compromise, depending on the original quality of the tapes you've got. At a minimum, capture at CD quality, 44.1Ksps, 16 bits. In your case, you might want to capture at 96Ksps, 24 bit, but stick with .WAV format. Yes, much larger files, but no compression losses in the music, and you've got the space on your target media.

Edited by d_deweywright