• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Vr Disks Do Not Appear In Media Browser

kvrmode

Question

I've read all the VR-related discussions here and have successfully used Toast in the past (2 years ago) to extract from VR disks (recorded on a standalone recorder) but now Toast's Media Browser does not display any VR disk when mounted by the Finder. Has this capability disappeared in Toast 10 (10.0.8)?

What I've tried -

20+ different VR disks (with valid files readable on standalone recorders)

internal drive (iMac Intel 24") 10.6

external drive (brand new Samsung from Other World)

G5 iMac- 10.5

G3 iBook- 10.4

Unfinalized and finalized VR disks

with and without Norton AntiVirus running

Once and only once out of 40 tries did the disc and files appear in Media Browser.

And then when I ejected it and tried the same disk again it failed to appear in Media Browser!?!

So the problem is not related to finalizing or to a specific Mac or to a specific drive.

Anyone have any hints on getting Toast 10.0.8 to show VR disks in Media Browser?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by kvrmode

3 answers to this question

It should still be reading those. My standalone recorder uses DVD-RW discs for its VR recordings. There's no need to finalize them. Are yours DVD+RW? I can double check that mine are reading okay. One thing you might try is trashing the Toast plist and prefs files in your user>Library>Preferences folder and relaunching Toast.

Thanks, Tsantee.

I first tried trashing the plist items for Toast (and all Roxio plists for that matter). But no luck.

Then I removed Toast entirely, reinstalled and re-updated to get back to 10.0.8. No luck.

The type of disks used is DVD-RW from various manufacturers.

One bit of additional interesting information is that the disk IS visible within Toast from Recorder>Disc Info. The resulting window displays the correct Medium Type, Space Used, ManufacID, Title, Content Type, etc.

I'm probably like you in that I have a significant investment in material stored on these VR disks (over 250 disks) and would like to edit and back them up with our old friend Toast.

Thanks again for the ideas.

Thanks, Tsantee.

I first tried trashing the plist items for Toast (and all Roxio plists for that matter). But no luck.

Then I removed Toast entirely, reinstalled and re-updated to get back to 10.0.8. No luck.

The type of disks used is DVD-RW from various manufacturers.

One bit of additional interesting information is that the disk IS visible within Toast from Recorder>Disc Info. The resulting window displays the correct Medium Type, Space Used, ManufacID, Title, Content Type, etc.

I'm probably like you in that I have a significant investment in material stored on these VR disks (over 250 disks) and would like to edit and back them up with our old friend Toast.

Thanks again for the ideas.

It's working for me. When I select DVD with the top button of the Media Browser I see the name of the disc. Double-clicking on that shows the titles on the disc. This is with a VR-mode DVD-RW that is not finalized and has two titles recorded to it. They were created by my Pioneer DVD recorder. I don't know why they wouldn't show on your Mac.

By the way, when Toast opened the DVD-VR disc unmounted from the Finder. Curiously, Disc Info in Toast reports that it is an empty disc with no content.