Splitting VOB files on the Mac

DRUN

Question

I have been seaching for Mac sofware that will allow me to split VOB files into smaller files without converting to another format. Several such programs exist for Windows but I so far been unable to locate a Mac equivalent. Does anyone know of a MacOS VOB splitter

5 answers to this question

It doesn't have to be saved to streams with those apps. It can be saved to a muxed MPEG file. Streamclip requires Apple's QuickTime MPEG2 Playback Component ($20) and Cinematize does not. Each one has its merits so I have and use both of them depending on what I want to do.

I don't know whether this solves my problem. What I actually want to do is edit the VOB file (to remove unwanted scenes or to extract clips) by splitting it into several VOB files that I can then recombine at will

You can try MPEG Streamclip (free) or Cinematize2 to save your VOB file into streams (M2V amd AC3)

It doesn't have to be saved to streams with those apps. It can be saved to a muxed MPEG file. Streamclip requires Apple's QuickTime MPEG2 Playback Component ($20) and Cinematize does not. Each one has its merits so I have and use both of them depending on what I want to do.

I don't know whether this solves my problem. What I actually want to do is edit the VOB file (to remove unwanted scenes or to extract clips) by splitting it into several VOB files that I can then recombine at will

I recommend checking the Mac Forum at videohelp.com to see what info may be there about such things.

It's easy to extract parts of VOBs as separate MPEG files or to trim out parts you don't want into a single MPEG file using MPEG Streamclip. Toast will reauthor the editing MPEG(s) and create new VOBs when burning a new video DVD. The hard part about what you are wanting to do is putting separate MPEGs together into single files. An application called Capty MPEGEdit EX can join MPEGs together. It also has a frame accurate editing mode which is more precise than Streamclip. But it can only accept MPEGs, not VOBs, so you'll still need to use something like Cinematize or Streamclip to make the conversion. In order for the Capty MPEGEdit files to work with Toast you must use that application's option to save as separate video and audio streams.

Alternatively you can take your multiple MPEG files and drag them in the right order to Toast and choose the continuous play option when burning your new DVD. Although the files are separate titles they will play continuously one to the next (except there may be a slight freeze as each new title begins, depending on the player).

I recommend checking the Mac Forum at videohelp.com to see what info may be there about such things.

It's easy to extract parts of VOBs as separate MPEG files or to trim out parts you don't want into a single MPEG file using MPEG Streamclip. Toast will reauthor the editing MPEG(s) and create new VOBs when burning a new video DVD. The hard part about what you are wanting to do is putting separate MPEGs together into single files. An application called Capty MPEGEdit EX can join MPEGs together. It also has a frame accurate editing mode which is more precise than Streamclip. But it can only accept MPEGs, not VOBs, so you'll still need to use something like Cinematize or Streamclip to make the conversion. In order for the Capty MPEGEdit files to work with Toast you must use that application's option to save as separate video and audio streams.

Alternatively you can take your multiple MPEG files and drag them in the right order to Toast and choose the continuous play option when burning your new DVD. Although the files are separate titles they will play continuously one to the next (except there may be a slight freeze as each new title begins, depending on the player).

Thanks for your help. Capty MPEGEdit looks good but a bit pricy. I found MPEG2 WORKS, which is less and also capable of joining MPEG files. Haven't tried it yet though.

Archived