Audiobook Conversion Using External Drive Doesn't Work

Wally R

Question

The audiobook conversion function, with the "Multiple CDs to Single File" option selected, does not work when an external CD/DVD drive is used. The first disc reads as expected. However, Toast expects the second disc to come from the internal drive and it is not possible to select which drive to "read from" because the drop-down menu is inaccessible behind the "Close Tray / Done" dialog. I don't want to select "Done", as I'm trying to combine multiple CDs into one audiobook file. (The "Close Try" button doesn't do anything.)

The audiobook conversion function worked fine on the internal drive in my iMac, however, that drive isn't working now, so I need to use an external drive and am disappointed that this doesn't work. Can anyone offer any tips or tricks? Thanks in advance.

4 answers to this question

The audiobook conversion function, with the "Multiple CDs to Single File" option selected, does not work when an external CD/DVD drive is used. The first disc reads as expected. However, Toast expects the second disc to come from the internal drive and it is not possible to select which drive to "read from" because the drop-down menu is inaccessible behind the "Close Tray / Done" dialog. I don't want to select "Done", as I'm trying to combine multiple CDs into one audiobook file. (The "Close Try" button doesn't do anything.)

The audiobook conversion function worked fine on the internal drive in my iMac, however, that drive isn't working now, so I need to use an external drive and am disappointed that this doesn't work. Can anyone offer any tips or tricks? Thanks in advance.

Please pass this info along to Roxio's technical folks by using the Feedback link in Toast Help. Thanks for posting this so others can know about it. By the way, does Toast show the external drive as the one selected when you're in one of the disc-burning windows?

Please pass this info along to Roxio's technical folks by using the Feedback link in Toast Help. Thanks for posting this so others can know about it. By the way, does Toast show the external drive as the one selected when you're in one of the disc-burning windows?

Yes, the external drive shows up as the selected drive when I'm in a disc-burning window. Even with no media in either drive, only the external drive is available--the internal drive doesn't even show up as an option, even though it does show up as an available source in the Audiobook window.

Additional observations: the issue here is that Toast 11 looks only at the default drive (the internal one) when processing the second disc under "Multiple CDs to Single File". The external drive is working properly, as the next CD shows up in both iTunes and in Toast 11. Normally, this function perceives when the next CD is inserted, then automatically continues processing--it's not normally necessary to respond to the "Close Tray / Done" dialog except after the last CD in the set, when "Done" is selected.

After selecting "Done", which is all I can do, but which only permits me to put one CD in a audiobook file, the next CD appears in the "Read From:" drop down list. This demonstrates that even Toast 11 knows that the disc is there.

Additional observations: the issue here is that Toast 11 looks only at the default drive (the internal one) when processing the second disc under "Multiple CDs to Single File". The external drive is working properly, as the next CD shows up in both iTunes and in Toast 11. Normally, this function perceives when the next CD is inserted, then automatically continues processing--it's not normally necessary to respond to the "Close Tray / Done" dialog except after the last CD in the set, when "Done" is selected.

After selecting "Done", which is all I can do, but which only permits me to put one CD in a audiobook file, the next CD appears in the "Read From:" drop down list. This demonstrates that even Toast 11 knows that the disc is there.

Going to try and tackle this one as part of our Lion update - thanks for the details