Creator2011Se Hangs On Startup

chas045

Question

Very Long: so the question is up here. Has anyone experienced this and gotten results somewhere, somehow? I can take this back to COSTCO BUT I now have a vast time investment in this.

I actually did post here a couple weeks ago, but mainly worked with support via phone and tickets. Beginning and end problem is that program installs but upon running, all I get is a couple of seconds of the roxio splash screen and then nothing. Also easy vhs to dvd does same thing but does send a crash message for microsoft. (Just saw other post about that being in wrong place. You do know that creator2011se includes vhs to dvd as one program?)

Essentially followed all advice essentially without improvement. In fact, after updating Direct x or whatever it was that was suggested, program failed to install. Initially, i attempted to use an old inspiron without a dvd rw and 512mg memory. It was in spec but after a couple of uninstall reinstalls, a phone chat suggested that a memory upgrade was in order and I got 1024 (max for inspiron 8200) that I had just upgraded to to get a dvd rw drive. After mem upgrade, i could install again but with identical results.

I have uninstalled/cleaned/reinstalled with startups off several times and repaired (suggested here) once instead of the uninstall. I originally attempted driver upgrades from dell but was initially stymied due to the multiple download system that gets you coming and going but by the 3rd install, i had the drivers theoretically installed but dxdiag s indicated that the driver wasn't there (even thowgh the driver installer said it WAS installed). One help chat gave me the driver via microsoft instead. That seemed to install as well.

Got several suggestions from the Level 2 expedited group (individual file cleans), that i followed. I had originally installed this program on my desktop and it ran enough at least to get me a help phone and some demmos although those demo might be on line so it might not have done much. Support had me uninstall it. I have done 6 uninstall/reinstalls. First and last time from the dvd. Otherwise from files loaded to hard drive. Done defrags, and cleanups.

Level 2 has essentially bailed on this. The suggestion is to reload windows etc. This computer was recently reloaded and with the exception of creator had almost nothing done to it. It has the ms 2003 package of work, excel, outlook ex,Powerpoint etc and they all run. ALSO, the essential programs in Creator also run: burn, mydvd, sound editor etc etc. I just can't get the overlay program.

22 answers to this question

Hi chas, I responded to your previous Topic, HERE.

You should have continued the discussion there, I had given you some suggestions and and was waiting for you to answer a few questions :huh:

The 2011 SE package is a pretty good deal, but there is absolutely NOTHING on the V2D disc that you want or need :o

Put that disc back in the box and never take it out again! Your Creator 2011 can do more/better/faster leaving V2D far behind!

Go back to the other Topic and do what I suggested I would add one more thing before trying anything.

Download and run the Revo, in Moderate mode, to clear out all previous attempts.

Create a New Administrator Account.

Do the Prep Steps to the letter!

And lastly, install Creator 2011 under that account…

BTY??? I seem to recall some problems with other software conflicts for users having the MS Office 2003 installed :glare: You might want to uninstall that before doing all of this ;)

Hi chas, I responded to your previous Topic, HERE.

You should have continued the discussion there, I had given you some suggestions and and was waiting for you to answer a few questions :huh:

The 2011 SE package is a pretty good deal, but there is absolutely NOTHING on the V2D disc that you want or need :o

Put that disc back in the box and never take it out again! Your Creator 2011 can do more/better/faster leaving V2D far behind!

Go back to the other Topic and do what I suggested I would add one more thing before trying anything.

Download and run the Revo, in Moderate mode, to clear out all previous attempts.

Create a New Administrator Account.

Do the Prep Steps to the letter!

And lastly, install Creator 2011 under that account…

BTY??? I seem to recall some problems with other software conflicts for users having the MS Office 2003 installed :glare: You might want to uninstall that before doing all of this ;)

Jim and Others:

Continue? This IS a 'program hangs' issue, not a general issue about whether my laptop would be useful. I have changed my laptop and upgraded memory to 1 gb.

You HAD asked for some info. It has changed, I still don't understand what you mean about getting that info. 'win-pause'?? I guess means press the windows key for awhile. that brings up the start screen. I don't know what i would do there. You mentioned 'explorer' and get HDD info. I have no idea how I would use explorer to do that.

But here is the general info

Only have 40 gig hard drive. 54% full. 1024meg (max) inspiron8200. At moment having hard time typing this so may append later. In any case, have tried all your suggestions. I thought that should have been clear enough from post above. Re Win office 2003; My computer guy loaded all that stuff for me, I don't have the disks. Not sure I know what V2D is. If it is easy vhs to dvd, then first, there is no second disc. Creator 2011se includes this program completely imbeded into the install. There is no option to exclude it. 2nd, are you saying that basicly this vhs deal doesn't do anything and if I want to get vhs material onto a dvd that I can just use basic methods to do it?

Jim and Others:

Continue? This IS a 'program hangs' issue, not a general issue about whether my laptop would be useful. I have changed my laptop and upgraded memory to 1 gb.

You HAD asked for some info. It has changed, I still don't understand what you mean about getting that info. 'win-pause'?? I guess means press the windows key for awhile. that brings up the start screen. I don't know what i would do there. You mentioned 'explorer' and get HDD info. I have no idea how I would use explorer to do that.

But here is the general info

Only have 40 gig hard drive. 54% full. 1024meg (max) inspiron8200. At moment having hard time typing this so may append later. In any case, have tried all your suggestions. I thought that should have been clear enough from post above. Re Win office 2003; My computer guy loaded all that stuff for me, I don't have the disks. Not sure I know what V2D is. If it is easy vhs to dvd, then first, there is no second disc. Creator 2011se includes this program completely imbeded into the install. There is no option to exclude it. 2nd, are you saying that basicly this vhs deal doesn't do anything and if I want to get vhs material onto a dvd that I can just use basic methods to do it?

View details..

post-97-026312900 1307719857.jpg

Win-Pause..

post-97-006202300 1307719903.jpg

V2D is the Easy VHS to DVD Program...

Hay Jim.

I am assuming that you are moving this post around. If you are the only person here who has enough experience to help, then I suppose it might be reasonable to move this post all over, but if others might have advice for me (or the others with similar problems), then this is silly and wasteful. May I suggest (if the latter is true) that you move this thing back to 2011 load/hang since no one will find it here. I doubt that i need other people's input about easy vhs to dvd. If you would just confirm that you meant that the program wasn't needed, I would be happy to drop that point.I only brought it up as similarly not loading as a diagnostic piece of info. I doubt that anyone but you would know to get down to the bottom of this post, since the post doesn't appear to have anything to do with vhs to dvd.

Again, back to why I didn't append it to Creator2011General, I have changed the computer. That post question is completely moot.

I believe with all the help i have had from tickets and phone that I have done everything you ask for (several times) except the uninstall program you mentioned in your last reply.

Now you did ask for more info: Perhaps I already said the hdd is 54% full,

Here is the top part of dxdiag:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation

System Model: Inspiron 8200

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A08

Processor: Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 - M CPU 2.00GHz

Memory: 1024MB RAM

Page File: 351MB used, 1342MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 2: No problems found.

Music Tab: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

Network Tab: No problems found.

oops sorry cdanteek, (I guess others are willing to fight through an apparently irrevelant post)I

didn't see your post in there. Those links look a little interesting though i have used at least the uninstall one..Thanks re keyboard. of course I could get there other ways. Sorry still can't tell where you got the screen about the hard drive. Hopefully the info above is useful, and we don't need it anyway.

Edited by chas045

:lol::D:lol: Thanks cd

Chas some of what you have said is in conflict with information we have been receiving from others…

In post #4 here you say that you only have one disc in the 2011 SE pack…

Others have reported that TWO discs came with theirs, a 2011 SE and a V2D disc… <_< In that case the V2D is completely superfluous and should not even be installed!

Please confirm exactly how many discs you got, and what they say on them???

This forum is for the specific program, Roxio Easy VHS to DVD… There is absolutely NOTHING here that has anything to do with Creator 2011 SE or any of the other versions of 2011.

And, while you would not know this, there are a handful of Regulars here that troll through all of the forums new postings in all areas attempting to help out ;)

So for now we will do this. We will leave the posts here and attempt to work it out. Otherwise it is considered rude to post the same problem in multiple areas, especially in those that do not ever apply to your software :lol:

I have a posting regarding how to post screen caps, HERE. Keep it in mind, we may need to see what you are seeing at some point ;)

You appear to have settled on installing it on your laptop. We will proceed with that, unless you indicate otherwise.

But at this point I am unclear as to what your exact problem is???

Please state it clearly.

Hay Jim.

I am assuming that you are moving this post around. If you are the only person here who has enough experience to help, then I suppose it might be reasonable to move this post all over, but if others might have advice for me (or the others with similar problems), then this is silly and wasteful. May I suggest (if the latter is true) that you move this thing back to 2011 load/hang since no one will find it here. I doubt that i need other people's input about easy vhs to dvd. If you would just confirm that you meant that the program wasn't needed, I would be happy to drop that point.I only brought it up as similarly not loading as a diagnostic piece of info. I doubt that anyone but you would know to get down to the bottom of this post, since the post doesn't appear to have anything to do with vhs to dvd.

Again, back to why I didn't append it to Creator2011General, I have changed the computer. That post question is completely moot.

I believe with all the help i have had from tickets and phone that I have done everything you ask for (several times) except the uninstall program you mentioned in your last reply.

Now you did ask for more info: Perhaps I already said the hdd is 54% full,

Here is the top part of dxdiag:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation

System Model: Inspiron 8200

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A08

Processor: Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 - M CPU 2.00GHz

Memory: 1024MB RAM

Page File: 351MB used, 1342MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 2: No problems found.

Music Tab: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

Network Tab: No problems found.

oops sorry cdanteek, (I guess others are willing to fight through an apparently irrevelant post)I

didn't see your post in there. Those links look a little interesting though i have used at least the uninstall one..Thanks re keyboard. of course I could get there other ways. Sorry still can't tell where you got the screen about the hard drive. Hopefully the info above is useful, and we don't need it anyway.

With that Laptop you will never be able to run the program effectively if at all. You just don't have enough hard disk space (only 18GB free) and your CPU is just barely enough.

Hay Jim

My exact problem has always been that: after installing the one and ONLY Disk labeled 'Roxio Creator 2011 special Edition Installation DVD Program and Content' that came from the product in a box named 'roxio creator SPECIAL EDITION2011' onto my old laptop: it fails to load. It always brings up the red roxio screen for a couple of seconds and then nothing else.

Since we are in V2D, this installation places Creator AND V2D icons on the desktop and various 'applictions' in the start display eg label crreator, myDVD, Sound Editor, etc. As I clearly stated before; there is no option during installation to select any of this. There IS an option to install a couple of streaming programs and a GOOGLE bar which I specifically chose NOT to install. Attempting to load VtoD also brings up Roxio logo and again nothing else, EXCEPT then it brings up an error message to be sent to microsoft that contains what I would guess (if I wished to view it) would be hundreds of little screens worth of info.

I did not place this file into VtoD. I assume one of you guys did. I did realize that there were a few of you trolling some of this, but it seemed to me that it would have been wiser if it were in the Crreator2011 hang area, but whats done is done.

You all have said that Vto D isn't really necessary. Without detail, how does one use creator to copy regular VHS movies to DVD without VtoD?

myguggi and Jim

This post appears to have been moved around because of an initial posting from me that might have saved us from all of this. For some reason Jim wished for me to append my hang problem into what initially was a posting to 'General' about the value of even trying to use Creator 2011 after I got my initial hang. If myguggi had posted this:

'With that Laptop you will never be able to run the program effectively if at all. You just don't have enough hard disk space (only 18GB free) and your CPU is just barely enough.'

a month or more ago, I would have been more careful about my particular upgrades. I did change computers and memory and hadn't realized that my hdd was only a 40 GB. I suppose 60GB wouldn't have been much better? Anyway, perhaps it would be useful to see if the rest of you agree with myguggi.

Also, would one of the earlier less bloated creators work for me?

For data burning and copy, audio capture and editing: Intel® 1.6GHz Pentium 4 processor or AMD equivalent, 512MB RAM for windows XP and 1GB RAM for Windows Vista and Windows 7. For video editing and conversion and DVD playback Intel Pentium 4 2GHz processor or AMD equivalent and 1GB RAM. Multi-core processor with at least 2GB RAM recommended.

The fine print.. :(

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/creator/suite/system-requirements.html

As I stated, where the Topic sits is irrelevant to the problem...

Your PC is at the minimum and that may present some problems to you, but that actually depends on what it is you want to do with the program suite.

Since it is the startup loading that seems to hang for you, how about trying individual applications directly from the Start Menu???

This is from Creator 2010 but it is the same, Start up VideoWave and let's see what happens.

post-39730-081107600 1307821581.jpg

Since it is the startup loading that seems to hang for you, how about trying individual applications directly from the Start Menu??? Start up VideoWave and let's see what happens.

As I said before, the applications generally seem to run for me. However I hadn't tried videoWave because I didn't know what it does. As it turns out it doesn't exactly run, it provides a message requesting a hotfix and that hotfix requirres another hotfix.

The first instructions for 1st fix were a littly daunting because it said only to try it if you really needed it because it might screw you up but that microsoft might waive service call charges because it was new. The same thing applied to the required pre fix below. I didn't download them.

Article ID: 891122 - Last Review: July 1, 2010 - Revision: 5.7

An update for Windows Media Digital Rights Management-enabled players is available

I attempted to restart Wideowave to regenerate the first message and get me back to the first hot fix (to put just above), but this time it ran a splash screen and then a message that my video card didn't have 3D capability.

I don't care about 3d capability anyway. so I clicked ok and it brought up a message about needing an update with a checkbox to select this update which was: roxio2011 service pack 1 sept 2010 2010-09-07. I somehow moved around that screen and as far as i can tell the program loaded and asked for a project and showed a whole bunch of empty view screens down below. I closed it out and it closed cleanly so I think it runs just like the other utilities do. I guess I would be happy to work with the individual utilities (I have suggested it above somewhere) at least if the overlay doesn't do tons of things moving me around various utilities that wouldn't be obvious.

I tried to load a Paint file of a screenshot that i took of the request for roxio2011 service pack 1 sept 2010 2010-09-07 but after a long time it said nothing was attached. I recall that there are instructions above somewhere about doing that. If it becomes necessary I guess I will learn, but I don't think we really need it now.

Edited by chas045

OK!

So after a reboot, does VideoWave come up now?

Yes the 3D is not important to you at this point and will probably remain out of reach ;)

One thing does interest me and that is your Video Chip??? Windows DOES NOT update drivers and software for these too well, so let's take a look at that...

Click on, Win-Pause; Hardware tab; Device Manager.

Expand the Display adapters and read in the full line under it:

post-39730-000282300 1307874401.jpg

So you know, I am interested in VideoWave as it is sort of the ‘keystone’ to Creator. You capture within it, you can Edit and add effects and you can launch the Burning application from within it (MyDVD)… ;)

There are 2 entries below display adapters

LogMeInMirror Driver &

NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go (Microsoft Corporation)

Yes, VideoWave loads cleanly. It asks to load a new Production. It closes cleanly as well. I'm not sure if I just missed it yesterday (because I WAS looking for it) but it IS in the already displayed list of applications in the start window, rather than having to delve into all programs/roxio2011/applications/

Want to take it for a test drive???

Use VideoWave ~ Capture Import:

post-39730-035640300 1307885305.jpg

I suggust you use a DVD Player initially just to keep it simple... They have GOOD strong output so they make a great tool for testing.

Try a short capture or 2 in VW just to see if it is doing it OK and playback is good.

You may have to use the Options to set it for the type of Video Input you are using:

post-39730-021489800 1307885308.jpg

But let's see how this goes ;)

Want to take it for a test drive???

Use VideoWave ~ Capture Import:

I suggust you use a DVD Player initially just to keep it simple... They have GOOD strong output so they make a great tool for testing.

Try a short capture or 2 in VW just to see if it is doing it OK and playback is good.

You may have to use the Options to set it for the type of Video Input you are using:

But let's see how this goes ;)

Sorry for the long delay, I saw your quick response but got tangled up in cables and ideas because i was thinking my only dvd was my dvd/sterio that is fully cabled out. I finally realized that I have the dvd recorder and it plays back and it had accessable composiste video/audio out.

Anyway: Yes VW works more or less. Of course, I don't really have any idea how to use it. I captured using the Roxio usb connector via composite video. It fired right up for me. I used a regular dvd movie and left it running before starting captures. I captured a preset timed one minute segment and grabbed another for a few seconds. As I recorded each of these segments, it appeared that they got chopped up a little just after each began (both audio and video). Fortunately one segment was a song. That segment got several quick chopped interuptions and then the speed was fast for a couple of seconds and then it appeared ok for the rest. The one minute segment only had one or two <0.5 sec. beginning chops and then completely ok but there was no singing so who knows.

I closed VW cleanly just after recording. I first played these back with the default microsoft player and then i reopened VW and fumbled around and played the segments there. I could see the time indicator running at the bottom, but of course I don't know what to do with it. Anyway, the playback was as i already described either as it was recording, microsoft playback, or VW playback. All good at end but a little or a lot messed up at the beginning.

Edited by chas045

This is the way I see it… Your Laptop is going to be a problem to use for this. :(

It is probably OK speedwise but the lack of HDD space (& speed?) as well as the lack of a good video card is holding it back.

The video card is something that probably prevents the main program interface from launching and the video card is used heavily in processing the video into a file. In a desktop, a $30 card would have you up and running, but not so with Laps…

Even adding an External drive isn’t going to help because it becomes another Load on a system that is having trouble keeping up…

If upgrading is not a solution for you at this time, you should seriously consider returning the software to Costco

Great!!!

Got some things to do and I want to review the whole thread before making any more suggestions ;)

When you get back to reviewing: a couple more things. I have noticed that you folks seem to have a wide and probably deep understanding of roxio related things. I had initially assumed that the Roxio Escalation staff would have better help, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

I recently asked if the Creator overlay was all that necessary, and you all didn't answer. While I am very interested in persuing all this from an individual application perspective, I would still like to see if there might be something that the escallation team and the others in Roxio may have missed (their approach at this point had devolved into reinstalling Windows which I think is extreme and perhaps impossible). There are 2 specific potential problems that I still think are worth persuing. The most obvious is that Roxio staff (and even a program application at some point) say that my drivers are old. Even I can see (without complete understanding) that the dxdiag files i have (and send to Roxio) indicate an outdated driver.

HOWEVER, I have gone to Dell (this is an inbound Nvidia 4 440 video) and downloaded and installed (i ran the installers and they all say successfully) what appear to be all the appropriate drivers. After that, roxio pointed me to a method to have microsoft install a video driver (again supossedly successfully)but the dxdiag still says old driver is there. I believe the dxdiag only mentions one driver and I have actually installed 2 (at least) a video and a bios and who knows what microsoft did. ANYWAY, I am wondering if any of you know about a problem with drivers appearing to, but not actually, installing etc. since Roxio is so persistant and UNHELPFUL about this, it seems a promising avenue.

The second avenue that I find interesting is regarding the initial message I receive when I attempt to run the VtoD program. It responds without loading just like Creator but then says: unknown error application will shut down now Exception: configuration system failed to initialize. I have googled this and see that it is not a common error, for regular folks anyway. Considering your depth, I thought you might have seen this and know what it might refer to. I suspect that the problem applies to Creator as well as VtoD.

Lastly: I had mentioned that I had no idea what I was doing in VW. Yesterday I got back to reading email from Roxio help (who I had forgotten about after they said reload windows). They had ACTUALLY asked me to install and load Roxio on another computer and then if it ran, to consider reinstalling windows. Well, I already knew that it ran ok on my desktop (but I'm not planning to run 50' shielded cables all over my house). Well: they told me to load it, so I did, and NOW I can run the tutorials again! So now I am beginning to get some ideas of what VW can do. By the way, an update manager loaded the update on the desktop (something sp1) that I stumbled around (skipped) when you first asked me to run one of the applications on the laptop. I'm guessing that i need it but i don't know how to ask for it again.

This is the way I see it… Your Laptop is going to be a problem to use for this. :(

If upgrading is not a solution for you at this time, you should seriously consider returning the software to Costco

Jim, Looks like we cross posted. I suppose that most of what I posted a few minutes ago is not worth persuing. Although, if something jumped out at you, I would be interested in hearing about it.

But one question remains! Might one of the older versions of Creator20?? be useful on this laptop? How far back would I have to go?

The version doesn't matter, it is the where you are putting it :lol:

If you want to pursue this with the Roxio team, that is fine... In fact I will make it a point to draw attention to your plight.

You are throwing around the word 'drivers' and it may not be what you think it means... Your video card is beyond end of life, they will never be any more updates :( So the last one you got is all you will ever have and it may not be enough to work with much out there.

dxdiag may be commenting that you may need to update your drivers but it is a general statement.

When my 8200 Lap (2002) reached its' end of life, it was reformatted and moved to the basement. It runs an old scanner I have there and lets me play cards while I peddle my exercise bike.

But I will say that with the exception of the severe lack of HDD space & possibly speed, it should allow you to go forward if these other things can be resolved.

Hi Chas

I have skimmed through your threads a bit. I'll admit I haven't read every post and response.

It looks like you're running a pretty old machine that has a 1.7 P4 processor and you have upgraded your ram and DVD drives - which is a great start.

Since you own a Dell, some of the other updates the Guru gang is recommending should be relatively easy. There are two things you can do here.

1) Perform a Windows Update here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/windows-update Especially make sure you are updating Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player. I think i saw in the other threads you have already updated Direct X. Just update everything. Keep in mind you have to have Windows XP, Vista, or 7. I'm guessing you have XP.

2) Go to Dell and update any recommended drivers: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs Use the Service Tag option. Your Service Tag, is the sticker on the bottom of your computer that looks like a bar code. There are instructions on how to find it (if you are unfamiliar) under the Service Tag option on the site above.

Since the computer is quite a bit older, you could be having identification issues with the video card, the BIOS, Internet Explorer, or all of the above.

Additionally, even if you get the software installed, the USB ports may be too slow to capture at the speed needed for high quality. Our USB capture hardware requires a USB 2.0 connection, and I'm willing to bet that laptop has USB 1.0.

Jon

Hi Chas

I have skimmed through your threads a bit. I'll admit I haven't read every post and response.

A bit overwhelming isn't it.

It looks like you're running a pretty old machine that has a 1.7 P4 processor and you have upgraded your ram and DVD drives - which is a great start.

2.0 and p4

Since you own a Dell, some of the other updates the Guru gang is recommending should be relatively easy. There are two things you can do here.

1) Perform a Windows Update here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/windows-update Especially make sure you are updating Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player. I think i saw in the other threads you have already updated Direct X. Just update everything. Keep in mind you have to have Windows XP, Vista, or 7. I'm guessing you have XP.

I have xp and windows update is always on.

2) Go to Dell and update any recommended drivers: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs Use the Service Tag option. Your Service Tag, is the sticker on the bottom of your computer that looks like a bar code. There are instructions on how to find it (if you are unfamiliar) under the Service Tag option on the site above.

I had already done that. i downloaded and installed 4 or 5 drivers.

Since the computer is quite a bit older, you could be having identification issues with the video card, the BIOS, Internet Explorer, or all of the above.

Additionally, even if you get the software installed, the USB ports may be too slow to capture at the speed needed for high quality. Our USB capture hardware requires a USB 2.0 connection, and I'm willing to bet that laptop has USB 1.0.

The internal usb is a one but I recently got a usb2.0 card. This computer has two ports that i am using for the wireless router and the usb2

Thanks for responding. I didn't see your post in the regular list. I guess I don't know how to use it. Unfortunately, I believe I have or had done ALL the driver installation and each install program said it installed! TGhere does seem to be aproblem confirming that.

Perhaps I shouldn't have responded to this post? I now see that it is 2 days old. It appeared to be current when I was looking from outside this thread.

Charles