ridgerunner51

Aspect Ratio For Vhs Tape Copy

Question

Can anyone offer advice about which aspect ratio to use when transferring old VHS tapes to DVD? I am wondering if it will make a difference to use the wide aspect ratio for viewing on our wide screen TV, or if it would really make a difference.

ridgerunner51

4 answers to this question

Can anyone offer advice about which aspect ratio to use when transferring old VHS tapes to DVD? I am wondering if it will make a difference to use the wide aspect ratio for viewing on our wide screen TV, or if it would really make a difference.

ridgerunner51

They will transfer as 4 by 3 unless you had a very futuristic VHS player. When you go to edit, you can select 4 by 3 or 16 by 9. There are some controls there to fill the screen whoch will cut off some of the video or use bars to fit the video. You can select the color of the bars. The videos will display as 4 by 3 on your TV.

They will transfer as 4 by 3 unless you had a very futuristic VHS player. When you go to edit, you can select 4 by 3 or 16 by 9. There are some controls there to fill the screen whoch will cut off some of the video or use bars to fit the video. You can select the color of the bars. The videos will display as 4 by 3 on your TV.

Thank you for your quick reply. I have a JVC HR-S2902U "Super VHS ET" player. I am using S-Video to transfer. Would any of this make a difference?

The method of transfer isn't critical really but you should realise that if you convert 4:3 to 16:9 that everything will stretch horizontally (making everyone look fat)

The method of transfer isn't critical really but you should realise that if you convert 4:3 to 16:9 that everything will stretch horizontally (making everyone look fat)

Well..we can't have that happen. Thanks. I guess I will just stay with the 4:3.