• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

No Output

jexee

Question

Hi, First of all my operating sytem is Windows 7 and I'm using a Dell XPS400 pc which I have just recently moved to the living room and am operating it through a wireless adapter. I was using Windows XP but recently installed Windows 7 because I purchased a HP TouchSmart310 pc for the bedroom which is operating with Windows 7 and I now have a Home Network with the two PC's. I'm having a problem with converting LP's to an MP3 format. I have a home audio/video receiver in which I only have two speakers hooked up to it. I have a high end turntable connected to the receiver using RCA cables. I purchased a 25' length of RCA to 3.5MM Mini (Y Cable). I plugged the 3.5MM Mini plug into the "Line In" jack in the back of my PC and the other side of the cable, the RCA part I plugged into a "Y" connector connecting it to two female RCA jacks into a 1/4" stereo Phone plug which is plugged into my headphone jack on the receiver. When I play an album and go into the Creator set-up, I click on "Digitize LP's and Tapes". When the Roxio LP and Tape Assistant box comes up, in the "Capture From" box the only thing that is in there is: Speakers (High definition audio device) shouldn't my sound card be in there as well? My external speakers are on and they do work but I don't hear the album playing at all and the recording level meters in the Tape Assistant box don't move at all. I purchased Roxio Creator 2011 Pro especially for this purpose. I have the SoundBlaster Advanced MB Audio sound card. I would think that that should be in the Audio Capture List. Any suggestions? Thanks. By the way I also tried plugging it into my Mic In jack as well with no luck

9 answers to this question

Hi, First of all my operating sytem is Windows 7 and I'm using a Dell XPS400 pc which I have just recently moved to the living room and am operating it through a wireless adapter. I was using Windows XP but recently installed Windows 7 because I purchased a HP TouchSmart310 pc for the bedroom which is operating with Windows 7 and I now have a Home Network with the two PC's. I'm having a problem with converting LP's to an MP3 format. I have a home audio/video receiver in which I only have two speakers hooked up to it. I have a high end turntable connected to the receiver using RCA cables. I purchased a 25' length of RCA to 3.5MM Mini (Y Cable). I plugged the 3.5MM Mini plug into the "Line In" jack in the back of my PC and the other side of the cable, the RCA part I plugged into a "Y" connector connecting it to two female RCA jacks into a 1/4" stereo Phone plug which is plugged into my headphone jack on the receiver. When I play an album and go into the Creator set-up, I click on "Digitize LP's and Tapes". When the Roxio LP and Tape Assistant box comes up, in the "Capture From" box the only thing that is in there is: Speakers (High definition audio device) shouldn't my sound card be in there as well? My external speakers are on and they do work but I don't hear the album playing at all and the recording level meters in the Tape Assistant box don't move at all. I purchased Roxio Creator 2011 Pro especially for this purpose. I have the SoundBlaster Advanced MB Audio sound card. I would think that that should be in the Audio Capture List. Any suggestions? Thanks. By the way I also tried plugging it into my Mic In jack as well with no luck

Don't you have audio out ports on your receiver?

Windows 7 have a funky set up to select the default recording device. You have to open Windows Recording Devices, select to show disabled devices, and then select the one you want and make it the default.

Here is what mine looks like with the dialog. Since you have a Sound Blaster device, yours should be similar.

post-58-092155600 1307964497.jpg

Are you hearing the music from the speakers? post-58-044949800 1307964607.jpg

Edited by sknis

Don't you have audio out ports on your receiver?

Windows 7 have a funky set up to select the default recording device. You have to open Windows Recording Devices, select to show disabled devices, and then select the one you want and make it the default.

Here is what mine looks like with the dialog. Since you have a Sound Blaster device, yours should be similar.

post-58-092155600 1307964497.jpg

Are you hearing the music from the speakers? post-58-044949800 1307964607.jpg

I don't hear anything coming from my speakers on the pc, and they do work with all other things. The only terminals that aren't being used on my receiver are the

"output" main terminals. I've tried using those but again, no sound coming out of my pc speakers and again the sound meters on the Roxio LP and Tape Assistant don't move. That's why I tried using the headphone jack on the receiver with no luck as well.

I did open up the Windows Recording Devices and the only thing that is in there is the Microphone High Definition Audio Device (not plugged in) That's all it shows even when I check "show disables devices" or check "show disconnected devices. It doesn't even show the external speakers. We had Windows XP and just recently installed Windows 7. I don't know if that caused the problem because I just bought the Creator 2011 Pro a few weeks ago. Thanks for your help.

I think your problem is the lack of audio drivers - a quick check on google says that Dell do NOT support that machine in Windows 7, so you will have to identify the chipset in question and see if you can obtain drivers from that maker

I think your problem is the lack of audio drivers - a quick check on google says that Dell do NOT support that machine in Windows 7, so you will have to identify the chipset in question and see if you can obtain drivers from that maker

Thanks Daithi, I thought of that afterwards but was unavailbe to post that.

Since the OP has a Sound Blaster chip. perhaps this link will be of some help. Depending on if the computer had XP or Vista to begin with and the chip identification.

Thanks for your help everyone. I went to the Soundblaster site to try to download a driver update but being that I didn't have the number of the soundcard handy, I let the site look for it on my pc. Well they couldn't find it so I opened the unit up and saw that the driver is a small box that's built onto the motherboard and didn't have a number. I tried downloading one anyway that said Soundbalaster but that didn't work. I think I'll buy an external soundcard from soundblaster which actually have the "line in" "phono in" RCA connections on it.

I'm specifically looking to digitize a lot of my vinyl albums so I can play them as MP3's in my car. I also want to be able to copy audio from DVD concerts that I have as well as audio streams from the pc itself. I purchased the Roxio Creator 2011 Pro for these reasons.

Would anyone have any ideas on which external soundcards to buy? Don't want to spend too much on it but don't want to buy a cheap one either. I want to buy one that gives me excellent quality sound. Thanks for your help:)

They're all pretty much of a muchness on input really when it coms to line-in and mic input (they get dearer as the extras get added on but they're mainly on the output side which shouldn't concern you much).

If you want to be able to run 7.1 full theatre surround sound from the PC, then you get an expensive one - if you just want to record, any cheap and cheerful one is just as good (unless you want SP/DIF inputs as well).

Most soundcards have a 3.5 mm jack plug for line in - you simply buy a lead with has a 3.5 mm plug at one end and two RCA plugs at the other

Did you look at the Dell site (here)? The "new" drivers are pretty old.

I'm going back a couple of years with this response but I think it is still valid. If you stay with Sound Blaster, you are probably OK. If you go to another vendor, make sure that it will do 16 bit audio as well as 24 . Cards from, for example m-audio do not do 16 bit which is what Roxio will handle. M audio cards only do 24 bit. Most Creative (sound Blaster will do both 24 and 16 but double check before buying.

Why do you want an external card?

Did you look at the Dell site (here)? The "new" drivers are pretty old.

I'm going back a couple of years with this response but I think it is still valid. If you stay with Sound Blaster, you are probably OK. If you go to another vendor, make sure that it will do 16 bit audio as well as 24 . Cards from, for example m-audio do not do 16 bit which is what Roxio will handle. M audio cards only do 24 bit. Most Creative (sound Blaster will do both 24 and 16 but double check before buying.

Why do you want an external card?

Thanks again for all the help, I'm not too good with pc's in general so this has been a great learning experience for me. To answer your question though, when I opened up the tower to look at the sound card I saw that it has what is called an "onboard" soundcard attached to the motherboard. I didn't see any slots in there to hold an internal sound card.I was surprised that the only unused slots I saw were the same as the slots that hold the memory modules. That's why I would need an external soundcard.

Am I correct to assume that where the cable is concerned there is no advantage to buying a sound card that has RCA connections on it. The cable that I bought is the standard "Y" cable, the RCA jacks into the 3.5mm jack. Thanks.