• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 46 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Texan

Black Panels During Playback

Question

ROXIO 11 PRO and ROXIO CREATOR 2010:

VW displays 'black'screens/pictures instead of the photos after I burn the DVD and play the video. It is similiar to having transitions back to back and a black panel displays. Sound & Text appear but the photos (plural) do not & is replaced w/black. Several photos are blackened out then a few appear 'normal' then more are blackend out.

I thought it had to do with photos that were not full screen & the black border somehow was 'bleeding' thru to subsequent panels. I inserted a color panel then placed 'those' pictures as a internal overlay. I still have the problem.

I am going to remove all transitions (just to be sure) - after that all I can think of is removing many of the photos and start adding back in groups until the problem is isolated - assuming it is a photo(s) causing the issue.

Any better ideas-Please!

23 answers to this question

v i d e o c a r d...

update your drivers & software

However this has been a long time problem for you. Maybe you ought to list out your PC specs in your sig block??? I am guessing you don't have enough Video Card to run the program <_<

ROXIO 11 PRO and ROXIO CREATOR 2010:

VW displays 'black'screens/pictures instead of the photos after I burn the DVD and play the video. It is similiar to having transitions back to back and a black panel displays. Sound & Text appear but the photos (plural) do not & is replaced w/black. Several photos are blackened out then a few appear 'normal' then more are blackend out.

I thought it had to do with photos that were not full screen & the black border somehow was 'bleeding' thru to subsequent panels. I inserted a color panel then placed 'those' pictures as a internal overlay. I still have the problem.

I am going to remove all transitions (just to be sure) - after that all I can think of is removing many of the photos and start adding back in groups until the problem is isolated - assuming it is a photo(s) causing the issue.

Any better ideas-Please!

Hi! I was having the same problem when I had Creator 2009. After starting to use Creator 2010 I had no more black pictures. And, your videocard got a little bit better bencmark than mine.

I had a similar problem with my last movie. The problem with black panels was sporatic with some movies burning perfectly and the next burn would have black panels. I'm not sure that what I did solved the problem but I had no further problem on my last movie by changing the burn speed to 12 from 16. That choice has to be made on the Burn box after inserting the disc. What was confounding was that the black panels always appeared at exactly the same spot in the burn. I changed pictures several times to eliminate a pic problem but that did not solve the problem. I am using Verbatim discs. I also tried a Sony disc.

Would this be a buffering problem?

Edited by Willard M

Appreciate the suggestions, the video card upgrade and the reducing disk creation speed have not solved the problem. I have opened a ticked - perhaps they will see something. Please continue with any suggestions. I had a great video with my 10mo old grandson (my first!) getting his haircut for the first time. As always, this user group is one of the better teams to help those of use that need it :0)

Appreciate the suggestions, the video card upgrade and the reducing disk creation speed have not solved the problem. I have opened a ticked - perhaps they will see something. Please continue with any suggestions. I had a great video with my 10mo old grandson (my first!) getting his haircut for the first time. As always, this user group is one of the better teams to help those of use that need it :0)

Once again. Are you seeing the black panels in Video Wave or in the finished DVD?

If in Video Wave, use PhotoSuite to do a small edit on the images. Smart fix will work. Do not rename the images. I'm not sure if double clicking on the black panel will open the Video Wave photo editor but you might try that and apply the smart fix.

If you are seeing the black panels in the finished DVD, then when you go to burn in Create DVD, select to burn (encode) to an image file (ISO). Uncheck the other two options. This separates the encoding from the burning so your computer only has to do one thing at a time. When it finishes encoding, use the application on the Home page to copy the ISO file to a good quality disc. No store brands, no Memorex. Verbatim can be bought locally or Taiyo Yuden (best) can be bought on-line.

Make sure you are not doing anything else during encoding. Walk away and get a cold beverage until it is done.

Once again. Are you seeing the black panels in Video Wave or in the finished DVD?

If in Video Wave, use PhotoSuite to do a small edit on the images. Smart fix will work. Do not rename the images. I'm not sure if double clicking on the black panel will open the Video Wave photo editor but you might try that and apply the smart fix.

If you are seeing the black panels in the finished DVD, then when you go to burn in Create DVD, select to burn (encode) to an image file (ISO). Uncheck the other two options. This separates the encoding from the burning so your computer only has to do one thing at a time. When it finishes encoding, use the application on the Home page to copy the ISO file to a good quality disc. No store brands, no Memorex. Verbatim can be bought locally or Taiyo Yuden (best) can be bought on-line.

Make sure you are not doing anything else during encoding. Walk away and get a cold beverage until it is done.

Apologize if I missed a prior question. To your points:

I see the black panels when the DVD is going thru the rendering. They are also on the finished DVD. I cannot physically edit/select the black panels as they are not part of VW.

The output file was done via ISO then I create the final DVD using the ISO file. Thatis my typical process. I tried creating a final DVD instead of ISO just to try something different - of course that did not help. Thanks for your suggestions.

Apologize if I missed a prior question. To your points:

I see the black panels when the DVD is going thru the rendering. They are also on the finished DVD. I cannot physically edit/select the black panels as they are not part of VW.

The output file was done via ISO then I create the final DVD using the ISO file. Thatis my typical process. I tried creating a final DVD instead of ISO just to try something different - of course that did not help. Thanks for your suggestions.

In Videowave, export to a DV mpeg, best qualty and then play that vdeo file using a video player.This will tell you if the black panels are created in rendering or burning (which I doubt)

Did you do the test removing all transitons?

In Videowave, export to a DV mpeg, best qualty and then play that vdeo file using a video player.This will tell you if the black panels are created in rendering or burning (which I doubt)

Did you do the test removing all transitons?

Yes, just tested that this am and the black panels continue to exist even when I REMOVE all transition panels. In addition, it must(right?) be during the ENCODE MOVIE because when I create ISO file, I watch the encode step and can see the BLACK panels while watching it ENCODE. Of course there is no real black panel when I look at the location in my VW file where they appear during encode.

Appreciate the interest...Happy Fathers Day !

Yes, just tested that this am and the black panels continue to exist even when I REMOVE all transition panels. In addition, it must(right?) be during the ENCODE MOVIE because when I create ISO file, I watch the encode step and can see the BLACK panels while watching it ENCODE. Of course there is no real black panel when I look at the location in my VW file where they appear during encode.

I guess I am a bit thick today. Ar ethere black panels in Video Wave or not? You say you can't select them becasue they are not part of video wave. I don't understand.

Did you try what I suggested regarding editing the images in PhotoShuite? You can also try to reduce the pixel count in that application for those images that show up as a black panel.

List some information on your jpegs. What resolution/size are they? Are always the same panels black?

There is really not much point in burning to a iso file with myDVD if Videowave gives black panels when creating the mpeg file.

I guess I am a bit thick today. Ar ethere black panels in Video Wave or not? You say you can't select them becasue they are not part of video wave. I don't understand.

Did you try what I suggested regarding editing the images in PhotoShuite? You can also try to reduce the pixel count in that application for those images that show up as a black panel.

The black panels are not in VW. The panels 'appear/are inserted' during the rendering process. My next plan is to remove the panels before and after the first black panel appears (when rendering) and see if it alters the insertion of the black panels.

How about trying to change the rendering mode? If you set it to software mode, does the issue still exist?

List some information on your jpegs. What resolution/size are they? Are always the same panels black?

There is really not much point in burning to a iso file with myDVD if Videowave gives black panels when creating the mpeg file.

The fist panel (i will document others) that is 'blacked out' is:

PIXALs = 4000 x 3000

dpi = 300

Bit depth=24bit

Color Space=RGB

The TEXT appears on the panel but the image does note.

Attempt to clarify the question that keeps coming up...The BLACK panel is not in VW. The panel that is 'altered' to BLACK is a actual photo in VW. Sorry for that confusion. To repeat, the image is in VW as a image i can edit but it is NOT black. It changes to Black during rendering.

How about trying to change the rendering mode? If you set it to software mode, does the issue still exist?

I tried that yesterday...swapping between HW/SW. No change. TY

The fist panel (i will document others) that is 'blacked out' is:

PIXALs = 4000 x 3000

dpi = 300

Bit depth=24bit

Color Space=RGB

The TEXT appears on the panel but the image does note.

Attempt to clarify the question that keeps coming up...The BLACK panel is not in VW. The panel that is 'altered' to BLACK is a actual photo in VW. Sorry for that confusion. To repeat, the image is in VW as a image i can edit but it is NOT black. It changes to Black during rendering.

Other OPs have reported the same problem when using photos with such high reslolution.

Why not chang ethe resolution of the first problem photo to something much lower and try again

Other OPs have reported the same problem when using photos with such high reslolution.

Why not chang ethe resolution of the first problem photo to something much lower and try again

I will give that a try. BTW, I deleted the photo w/the issue(actually removed a couple before/after as well)and during the ENCODE(i think i said rendering b4) the black panel appeared earlier in the movie - as if it is positional vs photo specific.So I deleted 3 minutes worth(including the photo that turns black during ENCODE) and a black panel appears 3 minutes earlier in the video--odd,huh.

SUPPORT wants me to DEFRAG. I think I will reduce pic size first...defrag is simple enough but takes forever since I have a 2 TD drive where all my video work is performed. I will provide update once I change resolution - then defrag.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Initial test results looks as if it is in fact the number of pixels/quality of the pics. I reduced the size/number of pixels on 5 pics that were blacking during the encode. All 5 now appear normal. I will continue the process until all are identified -- I have hope that this will take care of the entire issue.

Thanks so much. I will send a final note when all pics are resized.

Initial test results looks as if it is in fact the number of pixels/quality of the pics. I reduced the size/number of pixels on 5 pics that were blacking during the encode. All 5 now appear normal. I will continue the process until all are identified -- I have hope that this will take care of the entire issue.

I hestitate to ask this but are you taking into account the TV safe zone? If you plan to watch on a standrad TV, that could be as much as 15% not shown. With a HD TV, that could be in the range of 5-8%. This is really important if you are adding text to panels.

Read this.

I hestitate to ask this but are you taking into account the TV safe zone? If you plan to watch on a standrad TV, that could be as much as 15% not shown. With a HD TV, that could be in the range of 5-8%. This is really important if you are adding text to panels.

Read this.

Steve, I don't think Texan's problem has anything to do with Safe Zone. Some of his photos apear as "black" when played back on DVD or video file. By reducing the photo resolution of the problem photos, the photos then show up. I don't see how that problem would be related to the Safe Zone. The text that he added to the problem panels/photos shows up fine.

This problem has been reported by several users although I can not duplicate it. Perhaps it is video card or camera related or just "Black Magic".

Steve, I don't think Texan's problem has anything to do with Safe Zone. Some of his photos apear as "black" when played back on DVD or video file. By reducing the photo resolution of the problem photos, the photos then show up. I don't see how that problem would be related to the Safe Zone. The text that he added to the problem panels/photos shows up fine.

This problem has been reported by several users although I can not duplicate it. Perhaps it is video card or camera related or just "Black Magic".

I understood that . :rolleyes:

I know that he had found that reducing the pixel count solved his issue (as you posted).

I added that safe zone information not for the black panels but so he doesn't solve one problem and then discover another. Perhaps I should have posted that: since he solved one issue, he should not forget the safe zone.

SOLVED

Thanks for all of the input, I did try every suggestion. A special TY to Digital Guru. His picture size/resolution suggestion was the answer. I reduced the size of the 30+ jpgs that were blacking out and during ENCODING, not a single BLACK panel!

BTW, appreciate the Safe Zone reminder :o)

Tex.

Edited by Texan