can't drag video_ts to Toast 7 window to export, says files protected

pether

Question

I want to convert video from a Sony handycam dvd to import into imovie 6. I have read the directions the one member, Tsantee, gave to drag video_ts folder's title chapters to the Toast 7 window, but it says the files are protected. I copied the VIDEO_TS folder to my desktop first, then went to the Toast Media Browser, clicked the Media button, chose DVD with the top button, used the lower button & went to the title level and tried to drag the chapter titles to the Video window. That is when I got the files protected message.

The chapters have a lock beside them in the media browser, but I don't know why, so I tried to check the video_ts folder on my desktop to see if it was locked and I checked my permissions. It is unlocked.

The video was taken on a Sony handycam small dvd, and it didn't have a firewire connection so I don't know any other way to import the files into imovie without converting them to.dv. Since my laptop has a slot, it wouldn't read the small dvd's until after a friend with a PC tray loader made a copy of the small dvd. If there is a better way to import these small dvd files to imovie, I would love to know.

I have a mac G4 laptop with 1.5 ram. Any help would be appreciated as I have video that I have to use to make a dvd for a church youth group asap. I am new to posting on this site and to Toast 7 and imovie 6.

Thanks. pether

4 answers to this question

If it is copy protected then there is no way toast will work with it. There are ways to remove copy protection (I am only telling you this because they are your movies), but for other reasons we cant really talk about it here. Just search the web and you will find some tools you need.

I guess another alternative is that something isnt quite right with the source files. You may want to check with sony to see if there is anything that nees to be done to put them into a standard DVD format.

I was able to get a different dvd that was filmed in the same Sony dvd camcorder to convert to .dv using Toast, but I can't figure out how I did it. That small dvd was copied to a regular size dvd with the same windows program (Sonic Exact copy on a Toshiba) that the others I can't convert were. Does anyone know any other method for getting the movie files converted so I can import them into imovie and idvd besides looking on the internet for a program that will take the copy protection off?

Archived