Crash While Burning Music Lib

sauer

Question

With 11.0.2 on MacOSX 10.6.7 I wanted to burn a music mp3 library.

One time shortly before and one time during burning the dvd toast crashes.

All the work for a few days has gone.

Is there a way to get the project back?

From a cache or temp-dir etc.?

Thx

sauer

8 answers to this question

the aim was to make an audio / mp3 disc, named dvd music library (in german DVD-Musikalbum) with 50 hours of music.

If you chose MP3 Disc as the setting in the Toast Audio window this is the same as choosing Mac & PC in the Data window. Toast does no modification of the audio files (it doesn't have an MP3 encoder) so it is merely burning them as their own source files. The so-called MP3 disc is just a data disc in ISO 9660 format typically burned to CDs. So I'm surprised that Toast crashed when burning this disc or that it took any extended amount of time to do it.

If you chose Music DVD as the format in the Audio window then I understand both the time and know why it crashed. With a Music DVD Toast needs to re-encode the MP3s to AC3 for playback in video DVD players. As it encodes each track it writes the AC3 version in the Roxio Converted Items folder that by default is in your Documents folder. As long as those files aren't deleted (which does not happen when Toast crashes but does happen when you quit Toast unless you change that setting in Toast Preferences) the next time you attempt to encode those mp3 tracks to AC3 it should happen very fast because Toast will find that it is already done the encoding.

However, there can be times when Toast crashes while converting a mp3 file to ac3. This happens when there is a flaw within the mp3 file. If you use iTunes (or possibly even Toast's convert window) to convert the flawed mp3 track to AIFF and then use the AIFF version in place of the mp3 version, Toast will proceed without crashing when making the Music DVD. You can tell which one is the defective track by looking in the Roxio Converted Items folder. It is the track after the last one you see in the folder when using the Date created view.

A Music DVD does not make a good backup of your audio files because they are now in ac3 format which can only be played with a DVD player or DVD-playing application. So you also may want to create a data DVD where the audio tracks remain as mp3 files.

• Like 1

Yes, you are right. I learned tonight something about "save" my project and where the temp-files are stored.

And I learned that this dvd-album is ac3 as you said. So I will try again with mp3-disc.

I do not know yet how to use effectively the media browser...it is made for choosing one song than one album?

But I should read the user guide :-)

Thank you very much!

Yes, you are right. I learned tonight something about "save" my project and where the temp-files are stored.

And I learned that this dvd-album is ac3 as you said. So I will try again with mp3-disc.

I do not know yet how to use effectively the media browser...it is made for choosing one song than one album?

But I should read the user guide :-)

Thank you very much!

The Audio section of the Media Browser shows your iTunes library. It displays all individual tracks in the library and it shows tracks within a playlist. So a good approach is to create a playlist in iTunes that has the tracks you want to include in a Toast-burned disc and then open Toast and locate that playlist in the media browser.

I tried this but it seems that the albums are not arranged in folders on the mp3-cd.

But the same happens when I do it with itunes.

Being a ISO 9660 format disc the mp3 disc is arranged alpha-numerically. You can force an arrangement by adding digits (such as 001, 002) in front of folder or track names. There is no perfect method. The Music DVD lets you organize your tracks and create a menu but only playable by DVD players or applications that play video DVDs. The audio CD lets you organize your tracks but they are uncompressed so you only get under 80 minutes of music on a disc. The MP3 disc is organized by folder and track name. I guess this is one of the reasons we like our iPods so much because the music can be organized in playlists using the track's metadata.

• Like 1