• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Alternate Software For Cd Burning

Joeretired

Just purchased a DVD-ROM drive on 6/25/2011 made by HP, and includes Nero 9 Essentials, as the software to use for writing to the drive. HP says it can be used to burn both DVDs and CDs. I'm only interested in burning CDs. Bought this for my uncle as he only has a CD reader and no burner. Anyhow installed Nero and tried to burn some music to a CD, and Nero didn't even look for the drive or a blank. Instead it just went to the harddrive. I have a message posted to Nero and am awaiting a response.

My question is will Roxio 10.2 work as a burner for this type drive?

Just purchased a DVD-ROM drive on 6/25/2011 made by HP, and includes Nero 9 Essentials, as the software to use for writing to the drive. HP says it can be used to burn both DVDs and CDs. I'm only interested in burning CDs. Bought this for my uncle as he only has a CD reader and no burner. Anyhow installed Nero and tried to burn some music to a CD, and Nero didn't even look for the drive or a blank. Instead it just went to the harddrive. I have a message posted to Nero and am awaiting a response.

This one (link). ?

Are you only going to burn audio or data CDs? Then yes to both audio and cd containing mp3 files. It will not do anyhting with videos.

Its not a DVD-Rom drive then!

Open device manager and post exactly what it reads, Drive ID String?

post-97-082131000 1309104179.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gang, sorry I didn't get back sooner, but been busy trying to fix the problem. Anyhow here'e the latest scoop.

1) tried to update system through sp3 and Nero still didn't love me. Sent Nero diagnostics that they asked for and they came back and

said they don't see the drive. The PC itself does see it, when I plug in USB port it indicates new hardware.

2) Brought everything home including the DAK system and his PC. Tried different things with no luck.

3) Backed up his documents and called my friendly neighborhood DELL tech. She accessed PC remotely and after some browsing agreed with

me something wrong with XP software. I tried unistalling Zonealarm and it wouldn't let me.

4) We then reformatted hard drive and wiped everything out and tried to re-install XP. Naturally the re-install disc didn't work. She

thought the hard drive was too small at 40 gig, and is sending a larger drive at 320 gig.

5) In the meantime I took my re-install CD and created a backup disc. I also created one for the other PC. Since hard drive is blank I

tried again to do re-install with disc for my Uncle's PC, again with no luck.

6) Tried re-install with my backup disc, and lo and behold it liked it.

7) I have since got XP restored with all the updates, virus software, his docs, and other software. System seems to be working fine.

8) Now the final test. I installed Nero again, plugged in the DVD-ROM and tried to burn some files. Take a guess what Nero didn't see

again.

9) Since I've completely re-installed everything from scratch and Nero doesn't work I've decided that Nero is a piece of crap, and now I

have to figure some other way to do this.

10) Just remembered I have an old external disc burner from guess who. I'll try to hook this guy up and see if Nero loves it. I know I'm

talking about Nero software when this a Roxio forum, but figured you might like to know where everything stands. If I have any further

developments I'll try and post it.

Since all you have been asking about and talking about is Nero, what do people on the Nero forum say? Remember that you are posting in a general areea but on a Roxio sponsored forum.

You asked about 10.2 and you were given an answer. Did you get the information you wanted?

We still don't know just what drive you have, nor its capabilities. Up in post #3, you were shown where to get the drive ID string for the drive in question. Please post that, and maybe we'll have some more help.

You say also that when you plug the drive into the USB port, it recognizes new hardware, which is all well and good, but is it recognizing the USB/IDE interface, or both the interface and the drive? (They're separate devices that XP will recognize.) Does it assign a drive letter to the drive?

When you went to write files, did you put a writable CD or a writable DVD in the drive? Once again, we don't know if the drive your uncle has is capable of writing DVDs, and if not, then if you put in a writable DVD, Nero won't recognize it as being writable.

So pass on those extra bits of information and maybe we'll have some more ideas.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is the problem. You bought a DVD-ROM, this means that you can only read data(audio or video) but you cannot write. You need to have a DVD-RW or DVD+RW or something with RW which means write. Im not sure where yu got the line "HP says it can be used to burn both DVDs and CDs" but i think they are referring to NERO but not your DVD Drive(DVDROM).

• 11 months later...