• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

VCD codec issue

KenM10759

Question

I have bought EMC8 Suite, and coming from easy-to-use and fully functional Creator 5 Platinum, so far this software is....grrrrr. And not grrrr....8.

After spending much time installing and re-installing and un-installing and zapping and editing registry keys and reloading, I got a Photo slideshow created with 147 wedding photos. What was about 180MB worth of JPEG images is now 63MB.

After the burn to a CD was done, it asked if I wanted to open it in Windoze Media Playa. Sure, why not? ENH...missing codecs. But no need to be specific, I can just guess among the thousands of codec files out there which ones THIS slideshow will need. Should be through them in a short coupla years.

I then tried it in a DVD player on my TV. Well, it works, but even on my 27" Samsung, the images look softer than my grandad's stool.

Well, in summary, it may be a resources hog, but at least it crashes and freezes a lot.

Anyone know what the magic codecs to run it on WMP might be? Or, anyone know about software for making a slideshow from photos that actually works right and doesn't make my tack sharp photos look like crap?

8 answers to this question

As you should be able to see from my posting of the hardware my computer is built upon, the Sony DRU510A is indeed a DVD burner, but alas, I have no blank DVD's and needed to deliver SOMETHING to the wedded couple in a hurry.

In the past, I'd used VCD's with great success, and have even projected them with a 4800 watt LCD projector to 20x30 FEET. With proper viewing distance the VCD's looked fine, but they were assembled with a more professional video editing software, I think it was Pinnacle Studio 8. The productions were approximately 12-14 minutes long, showing over 340 photos. Those programs just about filled the CD.

This 180 photo VCD filled up only 63MB of a 700MB disc! What the hell did I do wrong? I thought it would use up more cd space than that. I did try making it as a SVCD, but my 2 yr old Panasonic DVD player wouldn't run it.

I could spend more time trying to get settings right and get higher quality, but the disks are out there now. I really only needed to show the wedding people the photos, and I gave them one data CD with all the photos at full resolution.

My main reason for posting was to just b*tch about Roxio going from stable, easy-to use software to clunky, crash-prone processor-intensive junk with more bells and whistles to help it not work well.

As you should be able to see from my posting of the hardware my computer is built upon, the Sony DRU510A is indeed a DVD burner, but alas, I have no blank DVD's and needed to deliver SOMETHING to the wedded couple in a hurry.

In the past, I'd used VCD's with great success, and have even projected them with a 4800 watt LCD projector to 20x30 FEET. With proper viewing distance the VCD's looked fine, but they were assembled with a more professional video editing software, I think it was Pinnacle Studio 8. The productions were approximately 12-14 minutes long, showing over 340 photos. Those programs just about filled the CD.

This 180 photo VCD filled up only 63MB of a 700MB disc! What the hell did I do wrong? I thought it would use up more cd space than that. I did try making it as a SVCD, but my 2 yr old Panasonic DVD player wouldn't run it.

I could spend more time trying to get settings right and get higher quality, but the disks are out there now. I really only needed to show the wedding people the photos, and I gave them one data CD with all the photos at full resolution.

My main reason for posting was to just b*tch about Roxio going from stable, easy-to use software to clunky, crash-prone processor-intensive junk with more bells and whistles to help it not work well.

I'd fire you in a heartbeat! You are too lazy to go out and get some DVD's? The problem isn't the software. The problem is you are an air head, and unfortunately, some folks thought you had a problem with the software and tried to help you!

I pity the poor wedding people who trusted you to do a wedding video for them. They will find out, soon enough, that you lack credibility.

I have bought EMC8 Suite, and coming from easy-to-use and fully functional Creator 5 Platinum, so far this software is....grrrrr. And not grrrr....8.

After spending much time installing and re-installing and un-installing and zapping and editing registry keys and reloading, I got a Photo slideshow created with 147 wedding photos. What was about 180MB worth of JPEG images is now 63MB.

After the burn to a CD was done, it asked if I wanted to open it in Windoze Media Playa. Sure, why not? ENH...missing codecs. But no need to be specific, I can just guess among the thousands of codec files out there which ones THIS slideshow will need. Should be through them in a short coupla years.

I then tried it in a DVD player on my TV. Well, it works, but even on my 27" Samsung, the images look softer than my grandad's stool.

Well, in summary, it may be a resources hog, but at least it crashes and freezes a lot.

Anyone know what the magic codecs to run it on WMP might be? Or, anyone know about software for making a slideshow from photos that actually works right and doesn't make my tack sharp photos look like crap?

Well, I'm thinking that since you compressed them to about 1/3 of their original quality, their going to not look great... What did you chose for the settings when outputting the slideshow?

Also, what are your computer specs? This may help to slow down the program :)

As for WMP, try updating to a newer version of it, or try playing it in a different media player (I.E. quicktime, or some other player). I have heard lots of complaints about WMP (I've never really noticed anything too bad with it, but thats just me :huh:).

Chances are, no software is going to be able take 180 MB of photos, compress them to 63 MB, and have them look good...

Well, I'm thinking that since you compressed them to about 1/3 of their original quality, their going to not look great... What did you chose for the settings when outputting the slideshow?

Also, what are your computer specs? This may help to slow down the program :huh:

As for WMP, try updating to a newer version of it, or try playing it in a different media player (I.E. quicktime, or some other player). I have heard lots of complaints about WMP (I've never really noticed anything too bad with it, but thats just me :D).

Chances are, no software is going to be able take 180 MB of photos, compress them to 63 MB, and have them look good...

1) I did NOT compress the files....Roxio software did (apparently.)

2) Default settings (I guess.)

3) Intel P4 2.8ghz Dual-channel on Intel D865PERL motherboard w/1GB RAM, Serial ATA 160GB Fireball, ATi Radeon 9200 series graphics card (a loaner while my 9600pro is out for repair), Sony DVD RW DRU510A, running WMP 11, downloaded last night (and works no better than 10.)

No software is going to be able to 180MB of photos, compress them to 63MB and have them look good.

Right you are. And Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 is on that list. :D

Thanks for the input. :)

1) I did NOT compress the files....Roxio software did (apparently.)

2) Default settings (I guess.)

3) Intel P4 2.8ghz Dual-channel on Intel D865PERL motherboard w/1GB RAM, Serial ATA 160GB Fireball, ATi Radeon 9200 series graphics card (a loaner while my 9600pro is out for repair), Sony DVD RW DRU510A, running WMP 11, downloaded last night (and works no better than 10.)

Right you are. And Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 is on that list. :D

Thanks for the input. :D

Why you would expect a software to do that and still have the output look good, is beyond me. It ISN'T logical. :):huh::D:D:D:D

After the burn to a CD was done,

Did you actually make a CD slide show or was that a typo? Remember that CD slide shows very poor quality as compared to DVD quality so I'm not surprised that the show was soft and crappy. If that was a typo, make sure that when you are burning the slide show to DVD in MYDVD, that you uncheck fit to disc and check best quality. The select burn to iso file. When the file is encoded, copy (Disc Copier) the file to the DVD. Disc copier will use the best possible quality to fit that show on the disc.

If you do not have a DVD burner, at least burn to a svcd -- if your player will play that format. It is DVD quality but you will have a much reduced time on the CD.

Post back with your results.

at least burn to a svcd -- if your player will play that format. It is DVD quality but you will have a much reduced time on the CD.

Better yes, but not DVD Quality!

Super Video CD (SVCD)

SVCD is an improved format that is similar to VCD, but with better video quality and a larger file size. Super Video CD uses variable bit rate MPEG-2 encoding for the video signal (up to 2.6 Mbps) and MPEG-2 audio encoding for stereo. The picture quality is inferior to that of DVD, but much better than that of VHS or Video CD. Super Video CD can store about 35-45 minutes of video and audio information at full resolution on a CD-R. Many stand-along DVD players can play the Super Video CD discs, though not many manufacturers actually make that fact known.

SVCD Standard Resolution (width x height): Framerate (frames/sec):

NTSC FILM 480x480 23.976

NTSC 480x480 29.97

PAL 480x576 25

DVD video resolution

NTSC disc is 720 × 480 NTSC DVDs MPEG-2 video can be either 29.97 frames per second or 23.976 frames per second

PAL disc is 720 × 576 25 frames per second

cdanteek

Archived